Light-O-Rama Forums

Turning the Mini-director off

Torqumada286

Help! A newbie here. I just got my mini director and I'm trying to test drive it. I have my mini director hooked up to my controller and my home receiver. I am planning to use the programmable power strip to run my show. I am confused on how to or which terminals to use on the back of the mini director.

robreza2003 wrote:

Help! A newbie here. I just got my mini director and I'm trying to test drive it. I have my mini director hooked up to my controller and my home receiver. I am planning to use the programmable power strip to run my show. I am confused on how to or which terminals to use on the back of the mini director.

Strongly suggest you read pages 9 -12 (plus all the others at some point):
http://www.lightorama.com/PDF/mDM-MP3_Man_Web.pdf

Connect the positive lead from the 9 volt DC power supply to pin 6 of the rear terminal block. Connect the negative lead to pin 4 of the terminal block. Plug in the power supply and be sure the Status LED on the miniDirector blinks, if it does not, the positive and negative are probably swapped. Try swapping the power supply leads. If the Status LED blinks, the power supply is properly connected. Once the power supply is properly connected, you can safely attach the RJ45 cable to your other devices.
  • Like 1

As far as turning off a display, here's a solution I had for a DMX-only display for the State Fair:

The LOR MP3 Director was sending LOR signals to an iDMX box, which was controlling a DMX-only display. If I cut power to either the Director card or the iDMX unit, it would leave "DMX junk" as it powered down, leaving remnants still alive; some LED PAR lights and scanners were still operating or doing weird stuff.

My solution was to make a DPDT (double pole, double throw) relay with a 120vac coil that was fed to a simple switch backstage. When the relay was active, DMX was gotten from the iDMX unit. When the relay was inactive, it got a totally-black DMX universe from a seperate DMX card that kept everything quiet until the next day. Everything still had power 24/7 except for the small relay. Worked well.

The DMX encoder card was from Northlight Systems: http://www.northlightdmx.com/dmx512encoder.htm
and it was given zero voltage on all inputs and the starting address was 505. The card was designed to zero all DMX addresses up to it's own address. Since the remaining 8 addresses were at zero voltage, the last 8 DMX addresses were zero also.

Kinda roundabout, but worked.

Not exactly what the OP asked, but was related.

Ken Benedict wrote:

As far as turning off a display, here's a solution I had for a DMX-only display for the State Fair:

I'm thinking that a different solution would be to use separate power supplies for the mini-director and the iDMX, and remove the jumper in the mini-director. Leave the iDMX powered 24x7, and when it loses the LOR signal when the mini-director is powered off, it should send all DMX zeros.

But then again, I own an ELOR instead of an iDMX, so it may behave differently.