Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Help

eurbani

Hello,

I purchased 4 vfloods with 4 vdrives as my entry into DMX.

Since this is a light DMX load, I opted for a USB485 to transmit the DMX.

I think that I have everything set up but the lights do not light. Here is what I have done...

Vdrive connected to vflood. I figured out which connector was 12V+ on the flood since it was connected directly to the + input on the board. From there I just went in the same order as indicated on the flood (i.e. G is next to 12V...)

I used a 12V 2A power supply as that is the voltage/current that is sold on the twodogs site. It seems that the status LED is a little dim.

Network preferences...
LOR networks all ports set to none.
DMX Universe 1 set to adaptor A700eqdK (only choice
there, I assume it is correct
Protocol Raw DMX
Listener Port 8837

On the vdrive, I have the address DIP set position 1 to 1 and all others set to 0 (I assume this means it is unit 1)

I have the cross-over wired this way

LOR Blu/wh to DMX Orange
LOR Blue to DMX Orange/white
LOR Green to DMX Brown White
All other wires disconnected

LOR control panel is running with shows enabled (I see the listener window open with a status message, connection accepted)

In sequence editor, I added one DMX universe with 16 channels

I have created a sequence and tried units 1.1 through 1.4 on (individually and all at the same time).

I have control lights checked.

I must be missing something. What it is, I do not know.

HELP!

OK, I figured it out. (I think)

You can't run DMX from the Sequence Editor. Right? It works, when I put the sequence in a show and the show in the schedule.

Is there anyway to have the SE control DMX?

as long as i have 'control lights' checked in the sequence editor my DMX lights run fine

You can definitely run DMX from the editor. BUT the control panel and that funky DOS box must be running first.

No DOS command box, No Control Panel, then - No DMX.

JonB256 wrote:

You can definitely run DMX from the editor. BUT the control panel and that funky DOS box must be running first.

No DOS command box, No Control Panel, then - No DMX.

Control panel running doesn't seem to get the box for me. When I enable the schedule, the command window opens, but the SE won't control DMX. When I disable the schedule, the command window is open but it says that it has exited. Still, SE will not run DMX.

How do I enable the listener with control panel open and schedule disabled?

double check that the firewall isn't blocking the sequence editor talking to the listener. Doesn't sound like it since the scheduler works, but can't hurt to check.

one other thought, when I first used DMX via the comm listener I had to run it manually for some reason. The post is here: http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=29237&forum_id=75&highlight=starting+listener
the first post will show the command i used in a dos window. After I installed the next version this problem went away.

When I disabled shows, I saw "socket 580, exiting" in the listener and assumed that the listener was off. However, you can apparently, still run DMX from the SE even with that message in the listener window.

Thank you for your help.

• The topic was locked