Light-O-Rama Forums

CCD supports for long vertical run

Ron Boyd

I think I've decided to do a 24', 2)string tree using my CCPixel string attached to the upper dormer. I was thinking about supporting the pixel strings on PVC. I have a small concern though about bending with that long of a run. I could use a 2" or 3" PVC, but that just seems like overkill. I would NOT like to put holes in the siding or drill into the bricks. Anybody have any ideas as to how to support them?

What about Electrical Conduit, Should be stronger then PVC, not bend and you could use a smaller diameter.

Are you talking about steel or the gray PVC type? I never thoughht about using steel. I wonder if there will be a grounding issue.
Thanks.

One thought which I have looked into but never done, and one that I saw someone else do.
1. use fiberglass military masts found on ebay. come in sections so you can make as long as you want. for example http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Military-Fiberglass-Mast-Poles-Great-Antenna-WOW-/110854914265?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cf77c0d9

2. I have seen at least one person use strapping material that you would use for packing a pallet or boxes. The lights are attached to the strapping then the straps are hung and pulled tight. They attached the lights with some 3m industrial adhesive.

I have also seen some just hang the pixel strings and they are self supported. Although the CCP manual specifically says they must be supported, so probably not recommended.

One thing I was going to try (but never went thru with it) was the good interlocking velcro like they use for securing EZ Passes to a windshield. I see you're from Tennessee, so you may be unfamiliar with it. It's not regular velcro, but a much stronger locking type that does not come separated easily. Many hardware/department stores (Lowes, Target, etc) sell it, and it comes generally in white & black, although clear may be found also.

Like I said, the interlocking pieces don't separate easily. For what I'm using a few CCRs for, I decided against it for that reason.

I support my ccr's ith 3/4" emt with no grounding problems.I use them full length, and a piece of 1/2in rigid conduit slips into the 3/4" to join them together.
I use that throughout my display and have never had a grounding issue, and there easy to take apart and store.

• The topic was locked