Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB channel config

drivemewilder

This morning i created a new sequence using my new CCR's and dumb strips that should arrive soon. When i go to the channel configuration screen, all my LOR channels and CCR's are properly listed (name,color,device,network,unit and circuit). However, the dumb strips say "no device type selected" and the Network, Unit, and Circuit are all blank. Since i plan on using the DC board from LOR i ASSume that i label the Device-LOR. The Network would be Aux B, since my CCR's will be Aux A. Unit would be QA because my last CCR is 09. And Circuit will start at 158 because the last CCR ended at 157. Thoughts?

drivemewilder wrote:

Since i plan on using the DC board from LOR i ASSume that i label the Device-LOR.
That is correct. "Light-O-Rama Controller"

The Network would be Aux B, since my CCR's will be Aux A.
That depends on how many networks you will be running, and on which network you will connect your DC board.

Unit would be QA because my last CCR is 09.
If you will put the DC controller on a different network, then you can re-use the unit numbers. For instance, you could have one controller (like a CCR) on network Aux A, unit 01; and your DC controller on network Aux B, unit 01.

And Circuit will start at 158 because the last CCR ended at 157.
No. The circuits on a DC board are numbered from 1 to 16.

Steven wrote:

drivemewilder wrote:

The Network would be Aux B, since my CCR's will be Aux A.
That depends on how many networks you will be running, and on which network you will connect your DC board.

Unit would be QA because my last CCR is 09.
If you will put the DC controller on a different network, then you can re-use the unit numbers.  For instance, you could have one controller (like a CCR) on network Aux A, unit 01; and your DC controller on network Aux B, unit 01.

And Circuit will start at 158 because the last CCR ended at 157.
No.  The circuits on a DC board are numbered from 1 to 16.

I intend to run my 3 LOR controllers on "regular" Network. Just as i did last year before CCR and RGB came along. I will put my 6 CCR's on 1 seperate network (don't have a new USB yet). So when the new one's come in, will it automatically be given a new Network ID? I was just assuming it would name it Aux A...and the dumb strips on a 3rd Network automatically named Aux B. I'll be using a total of 3 Networks, right now my Comm port is 5. Not sure how/why it was given that denomination but that's what it is. And also unsure how Comm5 relates to Network Regular, Aux...? Will my 2 new USB's be given different Comm port #'s besides the #5...or is that # associated with the computer?

Awe! So the same Unit can be used as long as the Network is different?!

So start over at 1?!

drivemewilder wrote:

So start over at 1?!

If you want to start over at 01, then go ahead and do so. It would be a matter of personal preference.

Would like to add one more question to those i asked in post #3. When i set the unit id on my 6 CCR's, do i do so with the new USB485 which will be given it's own comm port #? Remember, my current USB used in last years display operated my 3 LOR controllers and is considered my REGULAR network. When i purchase the other 2 USB485's, do i use them to set unit id's on my CCR's and dumb strips?

Don wrote:

drivemewilder wrote:

So start over at 1?!

If you want to start over at 01, then go ahead and do so. It would be a matter of personal preference.

Adding one more bit to this. Moving controllers between networks becomes slightly more difficult if you reuse unit ids. To move unit01 to network C, when C already has a unit01, means you have to change the dial or use hwu to change its id to something else. Unless you have over 255 controllers, using unique numbers allows slightly easier shuffling or balancing when you add more.

Either way will work and for both you need to change your config (change network, or unit, or network and unit) and import it in each sequence.

drivemewilder wrote:

I intend to run my 3 LOR controllers on "regular" Network. Just as i did last year before CCR and RGB came along. I will put my 6 CCR's on 1 seperate network (don't have a new USB yet). So when the new one's come in, will it automatically be given a new Network ID? I was just assuming it would name it Aux A...and the dumb strips on a 3rd Network automatically named Aux B. I'll be using a total of 3 Networks, right now my Comm port is 5. Not sure how/why it was given that denomination but that's what it is. And also unsure how Comm5 relates to Network Regular, Aux...? Will my 2 new USB's be given different Comm port #'s besides the #5...or is that # associated with the computer?

Your computer (Windows) will assign the comm port to the USB adapter. It's a good idea to stick a label on the adapter when it does this.

To find out the comm port, make sure the existing ("Regular", "Comm 5") network adapter is plugged in. Then, before you plug in the new one, go to the Windows control panel and launch "System". Then click on the "Hardware" tab, then "Device Manager". (It works a little different in different versions of Windows, but you get the idea.) Expand the "Ports (COM & LPT)" list. You should see COM5. Now plug in the new adapter and it should show up it that list. This is the new Comm port.

After you know where all the comm ports are assigned, bring up the Sequence Editor, then "Edit" -> "Preferences" -> "Network Preferences". Pick which port is assigned to which network.

Thanks Steven, Bob and Don! Excellent info. I'm sure it will also make more sense when i physically have the adapters in hand. Just for grins let me ask this: Can i put my dumb strips on the same network as my 3 LOR controllers? The strips shouldn't recieve nearly as many commands as a CCR. My first 2 LOR controllers are operating 2 firesticks. 8 white and 8 red channels. So never will all 16 channels on one controller be lit at the same time. My 3rd controller is only utilizing 5 channels, all LED.

drivemewilder wrote:

Just for grins let me ask this: Can i put my dumb strips on the same network as my 3 LOR controllers?
Yes. You'll have only 4 controllers (64 channels) on that network. This year I'm going to have 12 controllers on one network. LOR will handle that with no trouble.

I was mostly afraid of the colors looking bad, as others have mentioned. I've seen lots of info on CCR's looking bad if too many are on a single network. But dumb strips are not CCR's.