Light-O-Rama Forums

Remote LED Help with Micro-LED's

rgardner518

I started asking this question in two different topics. And I figured since they relate to the same idea. I would start a new topic all about this.

I just bought my first two CMB16D-QC's, and my first CTB16PC-vG3. They both have the micro LED's on them. I have added a remote LED to all of my CTB16PC-vG2's without any issues. There is even several topics talking about this on this forum. But I have not found anyone discussing this in regards to the micro LED's.

Does anyone know how to add a Remote LED Or has done it already to a board with a micro LED on it?

Thanks for everyone's help in advance.

• 5 months later...

How come no one is able to help me with this? I'm still looking for help with the remote LED on the DC boards. I was able to get help on the G3 boards. But the DC's, anyone?

How come no one is able to help me with this? I'm still looking for help with the remote LED on the DC boards. I was able to get help on the G3 boards. But the DC's, anyone?

I don't own one, so can't say if this is feasible or not, if the microled has solder connections under the LED on the trace side of the board, you should by all rights be able to "tap" into those solder joints just by adding wires from the remote LED to those solder pads under the microled. Now if the microled has more than 2 leads, you will need to find the ground lead and the other leads would all be positive, although it could have one positve and 3 negatives depending on type of microled used. You'll need a voltmeter{multimeter} to determine which leads are which. Once you know, just solder the remote LED's leads to the appropriate points to the microled and you should be good to go.

Now I am basing this on my actual work experience with these type LED's. As stated, I don't own a DC board, not yet anyway, hopefully in the near future, but the above should work as long as you can make connections to the microled at the appropriate connections on the PC Board to your remote LED.

Edited by Orville

Mary Gardner wanted the same info? Are you kidding me... what are the odds that someone with the exact same name as Ray's wife would ask for that info? Coincidence? I don't know about others, but as I get older my belief in coincidences gets progressively weaker.

2 Mary Gardners, 2 different Albanys, even Gary Mardner... is from Albany... I smell a rat...

Geez George, at least get my name right. Its Mardnerowski. :P

Sorry - no offense intended. I was on a roll ranting about what seems to be an incredible coincidence here and I just saw that if you swapped the first letter of your first and last names it just magically worked out so that... oh, never mind.

The LED is a SMD LED so its solder points are on top of the board. It would still be possible to add a "Remote" LED by removing the existing LED and use the solder points to attach cable. However this would require special soldering tools to do...

The LED is a SMD LED so its solder points are on top of the board. It would still be possible to add a "Remote" LED by removing the existing LED and use the solder points to attach cable. However this would require special soldering tools to do...

Actuially you don't really need any special tools to add a remote LED to an SMD LED.

I use a small wattage fine tip soldering iran and have removed SMD components without the need of a "special tool" to do so. And as long as the pads are accessible, just heat the solder by adding a little more solder to it, insert the wire on the pad and remove soldering iron to add wires to the SMD LED contact points for the remote LED, no reason to have to remove the SMD LED from the PCB at all. Not unless that's what you want to do.

I've added remote LED's to commercial PC boards for external indications where customers had requested one be added when I worked in the electronics industry, the SMD LED stayed right where it was, just soldered the wires to the LED's contact points at the appropriate locations to match the remote LED's + and -, install remote LED and ready to go.