Light-O-Rama Forums

CCF Video

hcl1

Well I got my CCF in. I am kind of displeased on the light output. I have made two videos of it in action inside of my house. Tomorrow I will place them outside and show how well they light up the house.

I am not impressed with the color blending up close. I think the LEDs should have been a single chip design and they could have used more LEDs in this unit for the price that you pay. The design seems very robust and easy to use. The strobe functions are a nice touch. I just wish they would be brighter. I think there are better units currently on the market that are much brighter and are cheaper but require more effort to waterproof and power the units.

Almost made the purchase myself. Decided to wait and see what others thought of them. Glad to see you post this. I would like to see them outside, about 6 to 8 feet from the house.

Oh , and PLEASE don't stand on your head while making the vid . :D

Jerry

hcl1 wrote:

I am kind of displeased on the light output.
They look pretty bright in the video. I could see every detail of your garage furniture.

I am not impressed with the color blending up close.
How close?

If I remember I will place them side by side to a rainbow flood extreme.
Yes, please! I will be using 2 Rainbow Flood Extremes this year, and I'd like to see how they compare.

Since I know quite a bit about the LEDS used in the CCF's, once you place them outside they will do much better. The Luxeon Rebels used in these are very intense, and pretty accurate in colors. When you place them horizontal about 3 feet off ground level and about 5 to 7 feet from the surface you want to wash you will see a difference.. . The Rebels have a projection of approx 140 deg.... If you place them on the ground you lose quite a bit of the light onto the ground.

When you are working on them close quarters you can pretty much see the difussion of the LEDS individually...

You should be getting a simular or better results that you see in this video. These are 2 Floods that were designed by the same person and the precursor to the CCF. These floods have 3 Rebel stars just like in the CCF... Spacing the star clusters like in the CCF really has little effect on mixing except in close quarters since the star clusters are still tight...

The picture below of the same floods that are used in the video when I set up a few items for a mini I had at my house a few years back...notice how much is wasted on the ground....now you see why its recommended to get them up some.

https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p2dZX0FJlWxFyAJ56YILl4VNeLW1N2JBcWe-HcTSs9kA0Z7Cvf7nmVbapipffYMkqAT2pp9dNJ7rm0-1eR6clzg/img_5970.jpg?psid=1

Here is 6 Luxeon Rebels Stars in one Housing ......

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/261731_1879129019815_1288950746_31670926_4172129_n.jpg

You mentioned single LEDS, to match the actual output of 3 Rebel Stars you would be looking at a single LED where cooling really plays a big issue. Even the Rebels have to have some pretty serious heat dissipation. That white board you see the LEDS mounted on is NOT your basic circuit board. As far as "all in ones" such as the Piranna or Cred LEDS, it takes 3 times to match 3 Rebel stars..

The 6 Rebel star light you see in the picture has multiple aluminum plates to cool them and those plates easily reach well over 120 deg..

William

I just built two RGB flood kits from HolidayCoro and for less than $40 bucks per kit I am impressed with the brightness and took less than 45 minutes to assemble both. The CCF is smaller than the kits I built and I was tempted to buy a few CCF to go with my CCRs. I am not sure how the brightness compares but with 16 ft ceilings in my kitchen they color wash the walls nicely. I was even asked if I was throwing a party by a neighbor when he saw the colors cycling from outside.

Sorry for the delay in posting. Been a rough week forgot it was a holiday..... opps.... Anyway I am going to get to posting the videos tomorrow. I am going to also take the advice and place the units off the ground a bit in order to not loose as much light to the ground. We will see the results here soon.

I was also playing around with them a bit and I am having problems making a yellow color. In every way I try it seem to be always too much green coming into the view. I hope the outside lawn test bring better results.

Most of the color mixing problems are noticiable around the 4-5 foot mark

Okay videos are done!!!

The first video is

19 feet away 18 feet apart 2 feet off the ground
Sorry I didn't make any sequences I just ran through the console

9 foot away from house 14 feet apart

That is not a catapult on the front porch. It is a trebuchet!!!

Since your house looks like brick and it's a dark color, I wouldn't expect these lights to show up as a bright color, jmo.

I have a dark red brick house and have found it very hard to get any floods that do a good job. The reds are fine and the blues are okay but greens and yellows really don't show up. If you have a dark house do a lot of testing before you spend a lot on floods.

hcl1 wrote:

That is not a catapult on the front porch. It is a trebuchet!!!

Pumpkin Chunkin' ?

I see that the light looks very well against the window, but very dull against the brick wall. Guess I'll have to paint my bricks white.

MikeH

HCL1 - Has your review of the floods changed since you wrote your original post? I think you were the first one to release videos of either the flood/pixel and lots of eyes were on your thoughts.

I am just curious, I thought about buying the floods for my color washing, as I like the quality and service of my other LOR products.

If you have a brick house, you should go with DMX controlled Floods like these....
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/807864/211312999-519527790/Freeshipping-36W-multicolor-Led-wall-washer-IP65-DMX512-compatible-LED-outdoor-light-LED-flood-light-led.html
They are 36 Watts per lamp and ridiculously bright. I'd guess they're at least 3 times brighter than the Rainbow Extreme. However, for a house that is light in color, they'd likely be too much.

marsh28 wrote:

However, for a house that is light in color, they'd likely be too much.

And for most of us, they'd likely cost too much as well.