Light-O-Rama Forums

Craig Marshall

ChuckHutchings

Here is an Image of Craig showing off the "Original" XMAS flood he built. This is what caught my attention to his details of how it was made.. This is where Craig and I became friends and started talking about things back and forth...

This flood is what opened the door and caught the attentio of Dan and lead to the LOR CCF (and another flood design out at this time I worked with Craig on).( I still have the email from Craig letting me know LOR was interested, it was a happy day for Craig )..a few things I took note of the LEDS he used, and are the same ones used in the LOR CCF. Luxeon rebels. Where are these used? Next time you see the Tomes Square ball on New years ever light up, thats Luxeon Rebels, Thousands of them.

William

Attached files 313292=17122-IMG_9275.JPG

William,

Craig and I talked a lot about you and his friendship with you. He really considered you a true friend. What you wrote was really touching and shows what a great guy Craig really was.

Thank you for sharing!

Guess I should add on here also. When I read the news and letter from his sister in law on Thursday, my heart sunk... Craig had always talked about his time being short and being a dying man. I am proud to have been one of Craig's close friends, we chatted a few different times a month if not more and even though he had heart problems, you couldn't tell from online convos, he had a great sense of humor mixed with his technical side, but he had a way of explaining things as a professor would.

I am very honored to have met Craig in person at the Chicago event in 2010, as William M said he was just like a kid mixing with all his close friends and everyone else in attendance, even though the weather was "cold for that Tuscon boy", he stuck it out and watched all the classes. There were late nights in the hotel lobby when he showed us some things in works from his big suit case, I stayed up late with a few others troubleshooting a VFlood problem. On the last night he hung out with a large group over beers till everyone went to bed around 3am.

Craig loved creating things and he always stood by his ideas and creations over anyone else's, sometime making it seem like he was being stubborn. But as he told me and others his last "deed/want" from life on earth was to see people in the Christmas Community using items that he helped to create or had a hand in somehow, he DIDN'T want any recognition or fame/money from anything, he would rather give it away. His reward was the peace of mind knowing that something he did bettered a hobby that he held so dear.

Dan Baldwin's email post was spot on, Craig lived and breathed Christmas, he may not of had a display of his own due to his health, but he enjoyed watching everyone else's from the forum. I know he has to be looking down at all the posts over the last 2 days and smiling, because his LEGACY WILL Live on as he sometime doubted it would.

Thanks for everything Craig, I'm gonna miss you my friend!
-Tory

I didn't ever get the chance to meet Craig or talk with him, but I do know using the rainbow floods a little tiny piece of him is here nightly. I hope for one thing, whatever he was working on someone gets the chance to finish to his standards so he can smile down from heaven that his last works got completed.

There's no doubt that Craig was a unique guy and someone who went against the grain with a lot of folks, but over the years I came to know him as someone who really did have his heart in the right place. Ultimately he wanted to help other decorators and to have people appreciate his contributions. And isn't that what we all want out of life?

Craig and I had been "talking" on Facebook in February about rifts in the Christmas community and I think it's appropriate to look around and see that, while we don't always like everything about one another, we share an affinity for sharing memories with others. The last message I had from him on February 29th (figures it was leap day - only someone like Craig would have his final message to me come on the oddest, once-every-four-years day!) is below and it puts it into words far better than I could:

Hey Ryan,

I have no problems with anyone or any groups in this entire hobby. As a hardware/software developer I have been known in the past to vigorously defend my designs however lately, it bothers me that there is a divide between groups in this hobby based on individual enthusiasts hardware or software choices. My view, and one I support for our hobby, is we work hard at uniting the entire community, coast to coast while still being able to maintain business and other priorities. This goal may not be achievable however, those are my personal feelings on this.

Take it easy and may life treat you well,

Craig

Rest in peace Craig. Enjoy the light shows this season- you'll get to see them ALL now!

Ryan

rmjohn99 wrote:

There's no doubt that Craig was a unique guy and someone who went against the grain with a lot of folks, but over the years I came to know him as someone who really did have his heart in the right place. Ultimately he wanted to help other decorators and to have people appreciate his contributions. And isn't that what we all want out of life?

Craig and I had been "talking" on Facebook in February about rifts in the Christmas community and I think it's appropriate to look around and see that, while we don't always like everything about one another, we share an affinity for sharing memories with others. The last message I had from him on February 29th (figures it was leap day - only someone like Craig would have his final message to me come on the oddest, once-every-four-years day!) is below and it puts it into words far better than I could:

Hey Ryan,

I have no problems with anyone or any groups in this entire hobby. As a hardware/software developer I have been known in the past to vigorously defend my designs however lately, it bothers me that there is a divide between groups in this hobby based on individual enthusiasts hardware or software choices. My view, and one I support for our hobby, is we work hard at uniting the entire community, coast to coast while still being able to maintain business and other priorities. This goal may not be achievable however, those are my personal feelings on this.

Take it easy and may life treat you well,

Craig

Rest in peace Craig. Enjoy the light shows this season- you'll get to see them ALL now!

Ryan

I for one say its time to try to set all of our differences aside and lets give this one to Craig. We as a groups can help Craigs dream come true. Like some have said there may be some indifferences but once that indifference is over we can still shake hands and move on. So who's in this for Craig?