Light-O-Rama Forums

I'm in need of DMX versus LOR controller feedback

scubado

Here's my sinerio: I'm adding RGB dumb ribbon to my setup this year. Each ribbon will be 10 meters in length and 10 of them in the setup. I also use high powered LED's. Will the cheap $6 DMX controllers handle the load ok? Are you happy with using the $6 dmx controllers, or do you recommend I use the LOR DC controllers? I need to make a decision before the sale starts as to what my options are.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Technically, those cheap DMX modules are able to handle 2A DC per color...so 6A DC total.

For my own test, a 5M RGB strip is 0.75A DC per color or 1.75A DC all-on. So with my numbers you should be under the limit. I personally would test with a 10M strip (2 – 5M strips) because I just don’t trust all specs. I would rather smoke a controller under testing conditions that during a live show. Let the test run for a few hours...if still working, then you should be good.

Make sure you perform your own power test as all these strips from so many different manufactures results vary. My reading may be different than yours. And with a 10M strip...make sure you use thicker gauge wire (20awg-22awg)...please don’t try to use cat5 with this load. One 5M strip...cat5 will work fine as long is your distance from the power source isn’t too far.

Kevin

Cracker has a good point. Test, Test, Test.
I have bought 20 RGB strips from the same company, and I still make sure I burn them in for at least 30 hours, and use different DMX controllers as well. The thing about a 10 M strip is you might have to inject power at the other end if it looks like it is fading towards the end.

Thanks guys, it sounds like I can continue my original plans going with DMX. I haven't gotten paid yet from a job I'm working on, so I haven't been able to place any orders yet so I can play. I was second guessing myself because the sale is tonight in case I needed to take advantage of it.

I'll make this suggestion - if it fits your layout.

Since the RGB strips are normally 5 meters and you are using 10 meters, you could have slightly reduced voltages at the far end if you power it from the end. But, if you power them from the center (5 meters to the left, 5 meters to the right), it would reduce the losses.

• The topic was locked