Light-O-Rama Forums

USB-RS485B or USB-RS485

WeissWelsh

Hello,

I want to use 15 CCRs this year. As such, I have decided to use one network for every 3 CCRs. That means I want to add 5 networks.

I know I need a RS485 adapter for each network....... but which one??

The USB-RS485 (with booster) is $43. The USB-RS485 is only $30. Will they both do the same thing for my situation? Do I need to buy the $43 one for any reason?

Thanks

Bob

You can use the less expensive one. 3 per network is a bit overkill but it is not all that costly and it gives you a major margin of safety.

Dan

George Simmons wrote:

When would it be appropriate to use the one with the booster?

A couple of reasons. The word booster refers to a voltage booster. LOR accessories such as the ELLs need 10 volts sent on the CAT5 line for power. The USB485B boosts the 5 volts on the USB line to 10 volts for accessories such as the ELL.

The communications signal is not boosted.

Another reason to use the booster is to take advantage of the two CAT5 connectors. You can send out two CAT5 cables which may be more convenient in your network layout.

Dan

You're just making my confusion worse. What would be the advantage of the boosted USB485 over the network repeater?

Remember the booster has nothing to do with boosting the communications. Rename it to USB adapter with accessory power.

Because the USB485B has two RJ45 connectors it can be placed any place in the daisy chain of controllers. It can be at an end or somewhere in the middle of the chain.

The USB485 only has one connector so it is limited with being placed at the end of the chain.

In both cases the USB485 and the USB485B are attached to the PC and are the origin point for the network.

Now a repeater re-generates the communications signal. You can use the repeater a couple of ways. In one way, you can place the repeater into the middle of an existing daisy chain and T off a new daisy chain. In another case you can put the repeater at the end of one daisy chain and start another chain where the repeater is in the middle of the chain.

Now this is confusing and the best thing is to look at the manual and look at the pictures of how the repeater is used.

LightORamaDan wrote:

You can use the less expensive one. 3 per network is a bit overkill but it is not all that costly and it gives you a major margin of safety.

Dan

Thank you Dan. That's exactly what I needed to know. I'm very happy that I can use the cheaper one. :(

When you said that 3 CCRs per network was "overkill," what would you recommend as the "most" CCRs per network and still be considered "safe."

Bob

WeissWelsh wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:

Dan

Thank you Dan. That's exactly what I needed to know. I'm very happy that I can use the cheaper one. :(

When you said that 3 CCRs per network was "overkill," what would you recommend as the "most" CCRs per network and still be considered "safe."

Bob

The sequences that Brian Bruderer writes for for 12 CCRs can run with 6 ribbons per network. In very fast areas, He occasionally has to do some tricks to get things to "fit" with 6 per network o I would feel comfortable with 5 ribbons per network.

Dan

Dan

asetti wrote:

When you say 5 ribbons per network are you meaning 1 network is one controller?

Sorry for the NEWB question but this peaked my interest.

A network is a series of controllers connected together and then connected to the PC. It does not have to do with one controller supporting multiple ribbons.

Best regards,
Dan
Light O Rama, Inc.

LightORamaDan wrote:

WeissWelsh wrote:
LightORamaDan wrote:

Dan

Thank you Dan. That's exactly what I needed to know. I'm very happy that I can use the cheaper one. :)

Bob

The sequences that Brian Bruderer writes for for 12 CCRs can run with 6 ribbons per network. In very fast areas, He occasionally has to do some tricks to get things to "fit" with 6 per network o I would feel comfortable with 5 ribbons per network.

Dan

Dan

Excellent. I think I'll go with 4 per network just for the extra level of security, even though I probably won't need it. Thanks again Dan. :)

Guest wbottomley

LightORamaDan wrote:

WeissWelsh wrote:
LightORamaDan wrote:

Dan

Thank you Dan. That's exactly what I needed to know. I'm very happy that I can use the cheaper one. :)

Bob

Dan

Dan

And... with E1.31 support and an ECG, DMX would handle that like it's nothing.