Light-O-Rama Forums

need to vent

james campbell

Don Gillespie wrote:

Orville wrote:
beeiilll wrote:
Orville wrote:

Yea, outr illustrious political morons are royally screwing us over with the gas "gouging", of course the gov't seems to be exempt from those "price gouging" laws that anyone else would get fined or possibly even go to jail for doing.

Their not only exempt, they get driven around in style while we pay for the gas, the driver, the car, meals, and whatever other nice little toys they desire!
Isn't it wonderful that they keep giving themselves raises, perks, and pension increases while telling us to tighten our belts?
Naturally we have to tighten our belts to pay for their luxury.

Okay so I still want to try and do some RGB this year. Just maybe the front windows on the house for now to get some experience. Since I have a CMB-16 already, all I need is the strips to make it happen.
Maybe that darn Publishers Clearing House will call soon. You know I keep telling them how much it would save them to just go ahead and send me the check now!

Yep, screw the general populous while they continue to get everything. Now I understand where the term FAT CATS came from when referring to these governmental bozoes.

Well with all the dirty oil we have up here, its a shame you guys don't want it, LOL maybe when the big guys get their heads unstuck from their a$$e$ you guys will get cheap gas some time soon ;)

If we could HARNESS all that hot air that comes from our politicans, we could power our homes and fuel our cars for eons to come!:P

i bought one of these
aeolus-300-ride.jpg

(that is not mine- just a stock pic of my model from a scooter website)
I'm getting about 68-72 MPG
;)

I have been in this Oil business for over 30 years and have seen this more times than I wish to remember. For some stupid reason we follow OPEC prices,and we are not even members of it. One of the reasons for high prices is supply & demand. The demand is high, but we do not have enough refineries to keep up with the demand. As long as the EPA gets involved in stopping Oil Companies to build refineries, we will have this problem for some time. Yes ND has a huge field of oil right now, but getting the oil to a processing plant is not easy. There is not a big enough pipe line to handle all of it, so they have to ship the oil by truck or train. Would have the Keystone pipe line saved this? I am sure it would have in time.

Guest Don Gillespie

bdeditch wrote:

I have been in this Oil business for over 30 years and have seen this more times than I wish to remember. For some stupid reason we follow OPEC prices,and we are not even members of it. One of the reasons for high prices is supply & demand. The demand is high, but we do not have enough refineries to keep up with the demand. As long as the EPA gets involved in stopping Oil Companies to build refineries, we will have this problem for some time. Yes ND has a huge field of oil right now, but getting the oil to a processing plant is not easy. There is not a big enough pipe line to handle all of it, so they have to ship the oil by truck or train. Would have the Keystone pipe line saved this? I am sure it would have in time.

You are correct and a lot of people don't know is the oil in North Dakato is the largest deposit of oil in the world, you guys are smart wait till the world runs out and then open the oil feilds in ND

Steven wrote:

Don't hate me, but here's the car I bought last year.

So far, driven 7000 miles, put gas in it 3 times.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you didn't spend in gas you spent in electricity, right?

I'm sure they aren't apples to apples, but when bragging about not using much gas, accuracy would mean your still forking money over somewhere.

However, I don't own one, or even know much on the subject, so I will listen for your reply based on what you have learned...

shakeonit wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you didn't spend in gas you spent in electricity, right? 

I'm sure they aren't apples to apples, but when bragging about not using much gas, accuracy would mean your still forking money over somewhere.

However, I don't own one, or even know much on the subject, so I will listen for your reply based on what you have learned...

You can always plug it in at work or run an extension cord from your neighbors house. ;)

shakeonit wrote:

Steven wrote:

Not if it's a true hybrid, those only switch over to gas when the batteries reach a certain low charge, then the gas engine RECHARGES the hybrids battery(ies). So there is no electrical connection needed. The only time you need a charging station is if the car is totally electric. And those charging stations cost about, if not more to plug into than the current cost of a gallon of gas!:shock:

My nephew owns a hybrid and it doesn't have any electrical charging ports on his vehicle, so this is what I am basing my reply on.

BTW: once the battery(ies) are fully recharged, the vehicle then goes back to electric. So now plug in, no additional electricity needed. Just keep fuel in it for when needed, mostly operates electrically under its own complete recharging/fuel system.

Steven wrote:

LOL dont hate you LMAO SUcker born every day. LOL. I looked at the VOLT. Was thinking of buying one. Then shook my head it would take overgas over $12.00 to make it return. So at $4.00 it makes no smarts to get one. Thats why GM is suspending production. Sure dont see them flying off the car lots. Costs to operate one is about 8 cents a mile for the volt, the prius is 6 cents a mile. The best electric would be the leaf at about 4 cents but range sucks. Even if you did get the full 7500 wich most wont because its on taxes. I wouldn't even get the full 7500 nice trick the government and GM screws you on. At current prices of gas it would take over 15 to 20 years by many independent studys. The prius would take about 8 years. Maybe they will be made cheaper in the future but its kind of like 3d mapping for our light shows. Does not pay to get it just yet.

shakeonit wrote:

Good point.

The distance it travels using 1 gallon of gasoline is about the same distance it travels using 15kWh. I pay about $.08 per kWh (off-peak), so this equivalent of a gallon costs about $1.20 vs over $4 for gas.

But it's more complicated than that. We just installed solar electric power, which may supply all our electric needs. This means the actual cost is derived by amortizing the cost of the panels over their (unknown) lifetime, then dividing that among the car, lighting and other household use, and of course, Christmas lights.