Light-O-Rama Forums

ServoDog Many questions...Plz help..

dave carlstedt

I have a Servodog and have numerous questions...please speak in layman's terms, and if you can cite examples, I understand much better. The servo part I understand, however, it is the other channels, M1, M2 connection and the I/O part I have trouble with.

My unit is not hooked up yet, so I am not aware of how the SD will appear with the other controllers when doing a sequence. Will the sequencing software display all the channels of the SD, as well?

Q1. When I hookup the SD to the controller, and create a sequence, will the SD appear on the screen as the other controller channels do? That is, channels all lined up horizontally and identified for creating a sequence?

Q2. A quick explanation of how to use M1 and M2. (Examples, please) Will they show up as well when the controller is on and ready to start a sequence?

Q3. How may I use the I/O section...is this a stand alone section of the board, with only the input effecting the output through (2 bit) on/off options only... I see no indication of polarity, as well.

As stated, examples would be great. All are welcome to answer. Thanks a lot for any clarifications....I have had no luck with youtube or the data guide. Also, how does one know what the polarity of M1 and M2 are? Is it something obvious...cuz I don't know....

For some, this may seem obvious, but for me, very hard to figure out.

thanks one and all.

dave

dave carlstedt wrote:

I have a Servodog and have numerous questions...please speak in layman's terms, and if you can cite examples, I understand much better. The servo part I understand, however, it is the other channels, M1, M2 connection and the I/O part I have trouble with.

Let's see if I can help. I have a couple of ServoDogs - and I expect to use them primarily as inputs for triggering interactive shows.

My unit is not hooked up yet, so I am not aware of how the SD will appear with the other controllers when doing a sequence. Will the sequencing software display all the channels of the SD, as well?

The ServoDog is just another controller as far as the Sequence Editor is concerned. You use the ServoDog Utility to set the unit ID. That also sets the type for each output (Servo vs digital vs PWM). Remember that each channel on the ServoDog can be set independently for output type. However each channel can only be set to one output type at a time. In other words, if you set channel 1 to be a Servo, it will only be a servo driver until such time as you change it to something else. And only channel 4 & 5 can be set to PWM output type.

Q1. When I hookup the SD to the controller, and create a sequence, will the SD appear on the screen as the other controller channels do? That is, channels all lined up horizontally and identified for creating a sequence?

Like I said, the SD is just another controller to the sequence Editor.

Q2. A quick explanation of how to use M1 and M2. (Examples, please) Will they show up as well when the controller is on and ready to start a sequence?

M1 & M2 are PWM output ports for channels 4 & 5. Using the ServoDog Utility, channels 4 and or 5 can be set for PWM output. If you set for example channel 4 as PWM, then you would hook your lights to the M1 instead of the digital output. Just like the regular DC controller, the + connection for your lights will connect to solid + DC voltage, and the negative connection to your lights will connect to the PWM output (M1 or M2) on the ServoDog.

Also remember that the M1 & M2 PWM outputs are rated for a much higher current than the digital outputs.

Q3. How may I use the I/O section...is this a stand alone section of the board, with only the input effecting the output through (2 bit) on/off options only... I see no indication of polarity, as well.

Read the manual starting at the bottom of page 24. If I understand your question, the inputs are a digital input. In other words, the input is on or off, not variable.

• 2 months later...

Those channels are configurable as PWM or Servo. All of the channels can be configured as DO (digitial output) as well.

dan