Light-O-Rama Forums

Strange DMX Behavior

NINtender

So, I've set up my lab in the garage, tested the USB485 in rawDMX mode with a $6 3 channel dmx decoder, and had great results. I had installed the current usb drivers, and also installed the latest of s3.

Came inside, brought in my prototype, same setup, and the rgb modules have intermittent flashes as they fade.

Now, for the show, it's working properly on the correct computer. But, short of buying the an EntecPro, which i did have a budget for, can anyone explain, or help me troubleshoot possible issues?

make sure your power supply is adequate for driving the RGB lights. I've seen things like that occur when pushing the power supply too hard. Also is your USB485 an older version. There was mention of older versions not being able to support DMX very well.

yes, power supply is 45W, and I'm only supplying a couple of 5050 nodes.

Just bought the USB485, so I'm assuming it's new. Someone suggested it could be that I don't have the dataline terminated. I'll need to check that.

Still doesn't explain why the slower computer doesn't have trouble with them. Odd.

check the channel setup. I know there are some quirky things when assigning channels to those controllers and using the USB485. Test each channel first for the proper colors, then test our your sequence.

Does the problem happen when the decoder running its test colors and fades or just when you are sending dmx fades to it? That will either confirm or eliminate the decoder itself as the issue. I had one decoder that would not behave consistently. I also had all sorts of issues using the usb485 to drive dmx and gave up and went with a dmx fusion pro - which is similar to the enttec pro but has built in 5 pin, 3 pin, and rj-45 dmx outputs....with the rj-45 being jumper settable to different pinouts. It has worked great for me.

flogger7 wrote:

Does the problem happen when the decoder running its test colors and fades or just when you are sending dmx fades to it? That will either confirm or eliminate the decoder itself as the issue. I had one decoder that would not behave consistently. I also had all sorts of issues using the usb485 to drive dmx and gave up and went with a dmx fusion pro - which is similar to the enttec pro but has built in 5 pin, 3 pin, and rj-45 dmx outputs....with the rj-45 being jumper settable to different pinouts. It has worked great for me.

No, it runs through the default fine. the USB port also works fine on the XP in my garage, that typically runs the show. It just shows the erratic flashing on my Windows 7 machine I have in the house.
yes, the Entec is what I've been looking at, but will look up the dmx fusion pro. Thanx for the tip.

• The topic was locked