Light-O-Rama Forums

Help Using LED's

nmonkman

Hello:

After a computer crash, I am trying to find information on a homemade device that will help eliminate the issues with LED flickering.
But I cant remember the name of the device or where I saw it. It is a simple male plug end that you attach a resistor across the two poles and then fill with silicone. You then plug it into the end of the string to create resistance.

Does anyone know the name of this device or where I can find the link?

Just for clairity and the record, I made 250 of these and use them for certain parts of the display.
They do help with the fades especially at the lower settings.

But the correct resistor is a must if you want to avoid sparks and fires!
The advent of newer generation controllers will tend to eliminate the problems with LEDs as will the continuing advancements in LED construction and materials.

You may also find that due to power differences in different areas of the US, it may be prudent to run some tests and see if a different value resistor will give you better results as the 47 K ohm one specified in the PC thread is what "worked best" for that person in their situation.
OF course doing the testing to achieve the optimal value resistor can be somewhat beyond most average persons capabilities unless you have a fair background in electronics as well as a scope to be able to see the effects first hand.
For most though, the 47 K resistor will provide an adequate solution to their problems.
But you can also see improvements just from using a different manufacturers LED string as well!