Light-O-Rama Forums

S3 Sequencer Wishes

dgrant

Being new to the LOR and sequencing, I've completed 19 tunes now. What would be nice, would be in the sequencer, the ability to select and drag cells/cell groups and move them to another location, same as can be done in Ms Excel. Now being that I've programmed a lot of software in my day(very recent), this shouldn't be too hard to add and would help a lot of people in their sequencing. Yes, it depends on what source code/development system was being used. Yes, I totally understand that in source code development, changes can impact other areas...trust me, I know all too well! I'd be curious to know what compiler LOR is using?

dgrant wrote:

What would be nice, would be in the sequencer, the ability to select and drag cells/cell groups and move them to another location.

If I'm not mistaken, we already have that feature. I believe it's called copy and paste. Primitive, perhaps, but definitely effective.

Yes, I know that of course. Yes, it is primative and yes, it works. Just a pain when it would be so much easier to select and drag when you wish to move a few or large number of cells or cell groups over a couple of timing locations either directions. Yes, I use the copy and paste a lot as do we all. Just a suggestion for a software improvement.

In excel, I copy and paste a lot. In excel you can copy a bunch of cells and then select a number of starting cells and the bunch will be pasted.

Visually...

Lets say your spread sheet looks like this...

123*******

And you copy the 3 cells with 123 in them

And I want to paste it four times into the cells market with a C

123*******
*****ccc**
*****ccc**
*****ccc**
*****ccc**

I just hightlight the left cell in each row and I get four copies h=highlighted cell

123*******
*****h****
*****h****
*****h****
*****h****

with an end result of

123*******
****123***
****123***
****123***
****123***

eurbani wrote:

To be clear, I haven't been able to do this in the sequence editor.

Pardon me if I seem obtuse, but have you ever had an actual need, while using the sequence editor, to do a copy/paste function like the one you described in Excel? I've only been doing this for 4+ years, but I've never had that type of a scenario arise. Or if I did, I must have just copied and pasted without giving it an extra thought.

I'm trying to understand what type of copy and paste need you could encounter that extends beyond the ccurrent capabilities of the sequence editor? Are you aware of the Repeat function?

George Simmons wrote:

Pardon me if I seem obtuse, but have you ever had an actual need, while using the sequence editor, to do a copy/paste function like the one you described in Excel?  I've only been doing this for 4+ years, but I've never had that type of a scenario arise.  Or if I did, I must have just copied and pasted without giving it an extra thought. 

I'm trying to understand what type of copy and paste need you could encounter that extends beyond the ccurrent capabilities of the sequence editor?  Are you aware of the Repeat function?

I think that is just a matter of using this function a lot in excel. My fingers are used to that and continue to catch myself attempting to do it over and over in LOR.

Here is a situation. I'm sequencing something and create an effect for a channel. Because the music is doing something particular at the time, I want maybe 3 or 4 channels to do the same thing. These channels are adjacent to each, but not necessarily to the original channel.

I copy the effect then go to the starting "cell" for each of the other channels and attempt to paste. No go. It just makes one copy of the effect.

I just looked at the repeat and I'm not sure I am using it correctly. It seems to duplicate the last effect immediately after it and on the same channel. Am I missing something.

Thanks for you help (still very new here).

eurbani wrote:

I just looked at the repeat and I'm not sure I am using it correctly. It seems to duplicate the last effect immediately after it and on the same channel. Am I missing something.

That is correct. That's what the repeat function does.

You have 2 choices to do what you want. First, select and copy. Then, select the top cell where you want to past, and either:
  1. Paste Multiple (Alt, E, M), and enter 4 in the 'vertical' box; or
  2. Paste (Control-V), Down, Paste (Control-V), Down, Paste (Control-V), etc.

There are paste modes that do what you want horizontally, but nothing that will do it vertically.