Light-O-Rama Forums

Show Tear Down Complete

Aaron Maue

I finally had a good weather weekend this past weekend to complete my show teardown from this past Christmas show season. It's not the latest I've ever finished, but not the earliest either. Anybody else still have stuff to tear down yet? Or was I the last one?

I still have stuff to take down... probably about 2 hours worth (200ft of icicle lights, controllers, and all my network/speaker/extension cords).

Was going to take the icicle lights down last month while everything was still frozen in the ground, but I decided I'm going to use them for my St Patrick's Day song (they are RGB).

I got mine down this weekend too Aaron. This is definitely the nicest March I can remember us having in a while. Now I'm on to yard work.

Agree.

And I'm definitely going to find time to come see your show next year. We intended to visit this last Dec, but kids ended up with a flu bug that weekend.

I understand, December is a busy month for us too. We didn't get out to see ANY lights last year, animated or otherwise.

Technically I'm not done until I take down the last ornament down from one or my trees. I missed one during removal, maybe I'll leave it up just to mess with people.

I had all the decorations down by the 3rd of Jan but I continue to have a stake farm in my yard. It's a good crop this year and with the temps going to be in the 60's all week, I should be able to harvest most of the stakes.

Aaron Maue wrote:

RGB icicles? Nice
They aren't actually "RGB icicles"... I zip tied 24 strings of red green and blue together at every bulb.
I looked into using RGB nodes, but it would have been a nightmare dealing with power supplies every so many feet to keep things going steady... maybe down the road when I have more time to spare, I'll convert to legit RGB and sell my hacked RGB icicle strings.

I might win the prize for the person to still have lights up the latest time in the year. I have two live trees that have 16 100 ct. mini strings run up the branches in each tree. I have to hire a bucket truck to put them up and I don't take them down at the end of the season. I leave them up until the next year and use them as a guide when the bucket truck gets here in October to put up that years lights. I don't even try to reuse the strings for two years as the weather usually strips off the paint. I often get strange looks from people who come to my house wanting to know why I still have lights in my trees in August. So I guess you could say that I have lights up 365 days a year.

You are not alone! Every single thing I put outside is still out ready to "fire" with a flip of the breakers and clicks of the mouse. I kept hope that if I left it out we would get some sort of a winter. Still hope to see snow once or twice more this year.

It was a beautiful day in Northern Virginia today. I was home from work before the kids. So, I took a walk around the house and picked a few weeds out of the flower beds.

I noticed one light stake remaining from them C-9s that border my gardens. I picked it up. Does this count as finishing my tear down? ;)

I was on vacation the week between Christmas and new years, so I had everything apart, down, and packed by December 30th. Plus fixed a ton of lights before packing away for the year

My roof and house lights are still up after 4 years. One of the good point of living in Ohio........the summer sun hasn't fried the strings yet. And being 5mm LEDs in PVC, they don't stick out to bad.

Steve

eurbani wrote:

It was a beautiful day in Northern Virginia today. I was home from work before the kids. So, I took a walk around the house and picked a few weeds out of the flower beds.

I noticed one light stake remaining from them C-9s that border my gardens. I picked it up. Does this count as finishing my tear down? :)

You can come by here and help me now :) Still have stuff out in the yard. Dang torn rotator cuff! :X

Tom Straub

I was able to get most of my Christmas stuff down in January, but I leave my 7 lighted artificial trees up for Valentine's Day (red and white lights) and St. Patrick's Day (green and white lights). This past weekend was just too nice of a weekend to pass up, and along with my spring flowers starting to bloom, I took down the trees. I have a few lighted shamrocks still up (which I plug in using the LOR controllers) but otherwise all the Christmas Stuff is down...and as a bonus, even put away! (There was some Christmas Decor we never truly got around to storing last year!)

testraub wrote:

You can come by here and help me now :) Still have stuff out in the yard. Dang torn rotator cuff! :X

Tom Straub

Hey Tom,

I'm working on my Easter display. 32 channels...Peter Cotton Tail. (Hell, I couldn't let the controllers sit in the basement all year! They might be lonely.)

I actually had most of my stuff down the week after New Year when we had that beautiful Friday. My roof is at quite a pitch and is dangerous when dry. I thought that we'd have snow and wanted to move quickly. (Boy, was I wrong.)

I'm glad that I had them down as I fell a week later and smashed my rib against a curb. I thought that I broke a rib, but it was "just" bruised. Bad news is that I was in a ton of pain for 5 weeks. Good news is legal prescription Opioids.

I took everything down after Christmas. I had most everything put up then too. I have about 10 tots that are still waiting for me to move them into my storage shed. It has just been warm enough that when it snowed it would melt during the day and freeze at night making a nice mud field. So I guess technically I still am not done.

Everything was down on 14th January.

And 1st October will soon be here to put all up again.:)

I was a late bloomer, not setting up complete until 2 weeks prior to Christmas. Ran them through New Years Day night. Although it was my 1st year, 1 controller and > 9000 and < 10,000 lights, there was still enough to pull down! We had a great 1st week of January up here in Wisconsin, so they all came down in two days by January 7th. Now next year is another story. Plans for 12 controllers (192 channels) and 80 - 100,000. (already all in storage)
Which means setup in October !! ... Tear Down by the 4th of July :cool::cool: