Light-O-Rama Forums

PC Controller Boards

Paul M Krupa

It appears that boards are availabe again. The assembled board is said to be Gen3.

The kit appears to be Gen2. What will the differences be? Hardware ? Firmware ? Dimming curves?

I have both of Gen 2 and 3 as pre assembled units and am thinking about kits but don't want to step backwards in the technology

Thanks,

PMK

Before I forget, are you missing a "t" in your location? Just looks a little odd otherwise...

Currently they have indicated that there will be a 3rd gen firmware release for gen 2 controllers, to allow for custom dimming curves. I have seen no indication when we are likely to see that.

Also, the gen3 hardware has built in phantom load on each channel to assist with discharging stray capacitance on LED strings, so that voltage will follow line voltage back down, and not float at the LED string's inflection knee... This usually allows for a fair number of quality LED strings to dim smoothly, without creating flicker and other issues.

As I understand it, the Gen3 controllers have more steps in the fade curves than Gen2. It is unclear if this is just a firmware issue, and will come to the gen2 when they get custom dimming curves, or if it is a question of processor performance, and may not be available on gen 2 hardware.

• 8 months later...

Currently they have indicated that there will be a 3rd gen firmware release for gen 2 controllers, to allow for custom dimming curves. I have seen no indication when we are likely to see that.

Also, the gen3 hardware has built in phantom load on each channel to assist with discharging stray capacitance on LED strings, so that voltage will follow line voltage back down, and not float at the LED string's inflection knee... This usually allows for a fair number of quality LED strings to dim smoothly, without creating flicker and other issues.

As I understand it, the Gen3 controllers have more steps in the fade curves than Gen2. It is unclear if this is just a firmware issue, and will come to the gen2 when they get custom dimming curves, or if it is a question of processor performance, and may not be available on gen 2 hardware.

According to the help desk as of today there is no plan to release dimming curves for the Gen 2. Not enough HP in the processor they say.

Has anyone confirmed the so called "phantom load" in the gen 3?