Light-O-Rama Forums

Can I use DMX and How?

cparsons2391

I have ENTTEC open DMX adapter. I also have the Basic Plus edition of Light-O-Rama software.

1. Can I do DMX with what I have?

2. If so, How?

I know these may seem like repeat questions, but I could not find an easy straight answer anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Cody :P

You need the Advanced License in order to use the Enttec adapters.

When in the Sequence Editor, you would configure the various networks (LOR and DMX) under "Edit -> Preferences -> Network Preferences"

If you're running DMX controllers and devices via CAT 5 line you'll also need a DMX USB adaper. They're pretty cheap on Holiday Entertainment.

I have a question. I really want to get started on DMX this year. What controller should I buy to be happy this year, and moving forward. I am just looking for good word of mouth.

It depends completely on what you want to accomplish. Frankly, the best way to learn about DMX is to research, research, research. If you're interested in using DMX to control RGB spots, I suggest you look at the the Rainbow floods offered by Seasonal Entertainment. If you're interested in doing color changing light strands, I suggest looking at the DIY products at Holiday Coro. If you want to do the RGB color-changing strips, you'll need to do a TON of research and consult other message boards. I'd suggest going to "auschristmaslighting.com". This is an Australian run message board that has a ton of info on tackling RGB strips, where to buy them, and dealing with vendors in China.

As far as controllers are concerned, if you want to use RGB strips, you can simply run them via a Light O Rama DC controller. I don't believe you need the Enttec if you're using the DC controller. If you want to use the Rainbow Spots from Seasonal entertainment, you'll need to buy a "rainbow brain" which controls 5 separate rainbow spots. Seasonal entertainment also has a new, more expensive flood light called the Rainbow Extreme. The extreme has its own built in controller and is pretty much plug-in-play.

Confused yet? I was when I decided to switch to DMX a few months ago but I've learned alot. For basic info about using DMX with LOR, I'd suggest consulting some of the excellent PDFs available for download on the Seasonal Entertainment and Holiday Coro websites.

Those downloads are located at:

http://www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com/downloads.htm and
http://www.holidaycoro.com/kb_results.asp

marsh28 wrote:

If you want to use the Rainbow Spots from Seasonal entertainment, you'll need to buy a "rainbow brain" which controls 5 separate rainbow spots. Seasonal entertainment also has a new, more expensive flood light called the Rainbow Extreme. The extreme has its own built in controller and is pretty much plug-in-play.

The Rainbow Spots are "dumb" 12v RGB 12v lights. They can be controlled with a LOR DC controller.

The big difference between using DMX and the LOR DC controller is the "shimmer" ability built into the DC controller (and all LOR controllers). Sending a shimmer event to a DMX device will not look as good. To get around that problem, the Rainbow Flood Extreme has a built-in "strobe" channel.

I understand the iDMX1000 also does shimmer well, but I don't own one.

I appreciate the info. it looks like I am going to have to dig deep on the research. It looks like I need to first get clear on what devices I want to use, then determine what is best to control them.

• The topic was locked