Light-O-Rama Forums

Using a laptop to run show/video?

stevedave1138

Just purchased my first CTB16PC, and I opted for the advanced version of S3, as I plan on using full screen video in my display.

I have decided to purchase a laptop to use for programming my sequences, as I travel a lot for work,etc etc.

I know it will need to be low cost, but if I get one with HDMI out, any idea if it will be able to run some 720X480 video and the S3 software at the some time? Video card will likely just be an integrated one, as I'm trying to keep the cost around $350..

Any using a cheap laptop like this?

DON"T GO CHEAP FOR SEQUENCING! You need a beefy gaphics card and lots of ram for the playback to work well. You can go cheap for the show computer though. Duel screen is also very helpful in sequencing.

Thanks for the info. I have a very powerful desktop that I would use for most of my sequencing work I think..but I would think when it comes time to run the show and have video on a second monitor it would require some horsepower as well. Most laptops have integrated graphics..but a Intel i5 processor with 4gb memory can cost as little as $350! I have a Mac book pro...but by the time I add "parallels" and windows 7 to it...its not cost effective..and I hear it can't run the show and video anyways..

Guess the only thing to do is get one and try it.

Running a show doesn't take much horsepower and neither does playing a video unless it's 1080p. The Visualizer and Sequence Editor does need horsepower to playback properly.

S3 seems to take a lot of resources on my notebook when I am editing. If I want it to run properly when sequencing I have to close out all of my other programs. If I have S3 open and not using it, it still drags down my entire system.

I am glad that I have it on my notebook so I can work on it whenever I want to. I hardly ever use my desktop anymore even though it has more of everything. It is just more convenient to have everything on my notebook.

When I run my show I am using a very old notebook and it does just fine running the shows. Not sure about a video out port. I still need to figure that one out for myself. I am wanting to put together a 4th of July show that can run my controllers and a video display at the same time all sequenced together.