Light-O-Rama Forums

saw this on ebay

james campbell

Max-Paul wrote:

PMC wrote:
Surfing4Dough wrote:
Like how they are labeled "In" and "Out".

On a cat 5 network, there is no "In" or "Out" its addressable/passive, so they don't need labels at all
ya but Paul this is not a Cat 5 network, but an RS-485 that does have in and outs. Well, Thats what Dan and gang tell us. The RJ-11 and middle RJ-45 is in and the RJ-45 on the right is out. :D

Although, those of us in the know, know what you are saying, minus the bit about cat 5 network. Many non-tech people heat "Cat 5 Network" instantly think Ethernet. So you got to be cautious when you say "Cat 5 Network".

There is only specific in/out when using RJ-11/phone cable.

When using cat-5, either RJ-45 functions as in/out.

Orville wrote:

Thank you Orville for the link. I ordered 25 from Sparco at $4.15 each plus $16.86 in shipping (a little expensive shipping) on Sparco's website and got a message that the website was for people that did $2000 or more a year in business. So, I definitely wont do that kind of business with Sparco, so they told me to go to Cayman Wireless who honored the $4.15 price. If you go to Sparco's website now, the price is $5.99 each. And that is free enterprise at work.

Oh and BTW, the Cayman version is 10" long instead of the 4" version from wlanparts. The longer version will hang out of the bottom of the box I believe.
Al

Orville wrote:

I use these on all 7 of my controllers. And will never change. I swear by them!

Someone asked how to install them in a controller. I use the cat5 hole for one. Its the perfect size. and drill a second hole the same size on the other side. Here is a picture of how I did it.

ItsMeBobO wrote:

It funny you say that. I have never had a problem. EVER! If the first one is screwed down tight enough!

Orville wrote:
If they would have fit without modification to the LOR Controller box, would probably use them, since they don't. I'll just stick with my original way of doing it.

Look at my picture! No real modifications at all!

Attached files 309879=16937-IMG_0398.JPG

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Orville wrote:
ItsMeBobO wrote:

Much better price here:

http://www.sparcotech.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=RJ45-ECS

I actually tried it that way, but guess I'm just too damned anal, just didn't like how that looked with them sticking out that far. I was trying to get the center section between the two snap rings, where I think it belongs. Just looks better to me with them mounted more internally with just a little sticking out from the bottom.

So I'll just keep using the foam pipe wrapping and cut it to fit, it works very well for my needs.

I just don't like things that have a major detraction from the original appearance of some items.

Someone asked how to install them in a controller. I use the cat5 hole for one. Its the perfect size. and drill a second hole the same size on the other side. Here is a picture of how I did it.

ItsMeBobO wrote: 

It funny you say that. I have never had a problem. EVER! If the first one is screwed down tight enough!

Orville wrote:
If they would have fit without modification to the LOR Controller box, would probably use them, since they don't.  I'll just stick with my original way of doing it.

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Orville wrote:

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Orville wrote:
If they would have fit without modification to the LOR Controller box, would probably use them, since they don't. I'll just stick with my original way of doing it.

Somehow when I initally responded to this post, my comment got buried in the above "quoted" area. Don't know why, so it looked like my comment was missing in action.

This is the reply that got buried:

I actually tried it that way, but guess I'm just too damned anal, just didn't like how that looked with them sticking out that far. I was trying to get the center section between the two snap rings, where I think it belongs. Just looks better to me with them mounted more internally with just a little sticking out from the bottom.

So I'll just keep using the foam pipe wrapping and cut it to fit, it works very well for my needs.

I just don't like things that have a major detraction from the original appearance of some items.

Now this is no reflection on how nyyankee or anyone else uses these items, it's just not to my liking the way it looks sticking out of the bottom of the LOR controller boxes like that.

Like said, some things I can be damn anal on, this just happens to be one of them, having those sticking out the bottom like that.

But it's my preference not to have them like that, others likes and dislikes, of course, will differ from mine, but that's what makes it all interesting. Otherwise we'd all be pretty dang boring if we did like all the same exact things and did everything in exactly the same way.

Then there would be absolutely no value to our animated displays because they'd all look identical, can you imagine just how boring that would be?

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

I think your post was deleted?

No, it got buried in the "quoted" section. It should have been at the bottom, but somehow ended up elsewhere. when I posted it, the forum was acting a bit strange and had to repost, guess when I copied it to the reposting and submitted it, it somehow was buried in the quoted area.

I just re-replied and corrected how it should have been.