Light-O-Rama Forums

saw this on ebay

james campbell

this looks like a good thing to buy, would you purchase it? gets a little pricey if you have 90 controllers like mr Bottomly:)

Personally, no, I would not purchase it. You can probably buy something similar for a lot less if you go somewhere like monoprice.

If you're looking for something you can plug into outside the box and ALSO protect the comm connectors on your boards, contact Will at Displays in Motion. He puts this sort of connector into his boxes and I'm betting he can help you out.

George Simmons wrote:

Personally, no, I would not purchase it. You can probably buy something similar for a lot less if you go somewhere like monoprice.

If you're looking for something you can plug into outside the box and ALSO protect the comm connectors on your boards, contact Will at Displays in Motion. He puts this sort of connector into his boxes and I'm betting he can help you out.

Ditto

George Simmons wrote:

thats why I posted it,If George don't like it it's not good enough for me:)

bretk wrote:

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Much better design. I also can recommend will's nice to take the strain off the board connector, which the eBay "dangles" won't do.

Ever hear of using a cable clamp? That's what I use to take the "strain" off my Cat5 cables coming out of my controllers. It's just a small plastic "C" style clamp held in with a single screw. I mount one on my cat5's coming out of my boxes just under where the cat5 exits, haven't had a single broken cat5 connector in the 2 years I've used them, nor have I damaged any of the cat5 either. Depending on location of the controller, I may use these along the wall or along under the eve line to hold the cat5 in place between controllers. My controllers are mounted on the wall of the house usually, so no mess or tangled cat5 to trip over on the ground.

Now extension cords, that's another matter, but I do tie them together with black zip ties to keep them neat and tidy.

BTW: I still have not figured out how to put those type cat5 black extenders in a controller box, they don't fit between the two lips where the snap rings are, tried taking them out and adding in one of these, but I guess with these I'm just not too savvy on how they get mounted in the current cat5 hole, plus to use them you need a second hole for a second fitting, which I really don't want to try and drill out. Especially not through the metal grounding strip above the second lip.

I prefer BOTH my cat5 to go in/out the same hole, but these only allow one cat5 to pass through it or connect to it, if the type with the internal RJ45 female jack inside.

So I think I'll just stick with cutting and inserting foam in the cat5 hole and my current set up to keep the vermin out of my controllers. Forgot to do that to one of my controllers during last set up and had a lizard crawl in and fry himself into a crispy critter! Just lucky it didn't do any other damage!

Orville wrote:

had a lizard crawl in and fry himself into a crispy critter! 

The question is what kind of dipping sauce did you use?

Orville wrote:

bretk wrote:
ItsMeBobO wrote:

Much better design. I also can recommend will's nice to take the strain off the board connector, which the eBay "dangles" won't do.

Ever hear of using a cable clamp?   That's what I use to take the "strain" off my Cat5 cables coming out of my controllers.   It's just a small plastic "C" style clamp held in with a single screw.  I mount one on my cat5's coming out of my boxes just under where the cat5 exits, haven't had a single broken cat5 connector in the 2 years I've used them, nor have I damaged any of the cat5 either.   Depending on location of the controller, I may use these along the wall or along under the eve line to hold the cat5 in place between controllers.    My controllers are mounted on the wall of the house usually, so no mess or tangled cat5 to trip over on the ground.

Now extension cords, that's another matter, but I do tie them together with black zip ties to keep them neat and tidy.

BTW: I still have not figured out how to put those type cat5 black extenders in a controller box, they don't fit between the two lips where the snap rings are, tried taking them out and adding in one of these, but I guess with these I'm just not too savvy on how they get mounted in the current cat5 hole, plus to use them you need a second hole for a second fitting, which I really don't want to try and drill out.  Especially not through the metal grounding strip above the second lip.

I prefer BOTH my cat5 to go in/out the same hole, but these only allow one cat5 to pass through it or connect to it, if the type with the internal RJ45 female jack inside.

So I think I'll just stick with cutting and inserting foam in the cat5 hole and my current set up to keep the vermin out of my controllers. Forgot to do that to one of my controllers during last set up and had a lizard crawl in and fry himself into a crispy critter!   Just lucky it didn't do any other damage!

Or just use a zip tie.

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Orville wrote:

None. When I pulled it out, he just crackled and fell apart. Ewwwww.:D

Orville wrote:

ItsMeBobO wrote:
Orville wrote:

None. When I pulled it out, he just crackled and fell apart. Ewweww.:D

Guess I put in one too many w's and created a link. Kind of dumb that it doesn't distinguish a bunch of w's in a word that's NOT a hyper-link! 3 w's should not automatically be read as a hyper-link url!

And since no edit button, can't fix it!

Orville wrote:

BTW: I still have not figured out how to put those type cat5 black extenders in a controller box, they don't fit between the two lips where the snap rings are, tried taking them out and adding in one of these, but I guess with these I'm just not too savvy on how they get mounted in the current cat5 hole, plus to use them you need a second hole for a second fitting, which I really don't want to try and drill out.  Especially not through the metal grounding strip above the second lip.

Agree on this point. I have used these on my four home made boxes only. Not on my pre-assembled LOR boxes.

I want to point out that I have had two of these fail due to twisting. There are three threaded parts to these. The first is a bulkhead which passes through a hole in the case. It should be VERY tight. When you remove the weather cap to insert the rj45, you could loosen the bulkhead too. This means you must open the case to prevent twisting inside. This defeats the purpose.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Like how they are labeled "In" and "Out".

On a cat 5 network, there is no "In" or "Out" its addressable/passive, so they don't need labels at all

PMC wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:

On a cat 5 network, there is no "In" or "Out" its addressable/passive, so they don't need labels at all
ya but Paul this is not a Cat 5 network, but an RS-485 that does have in and outs. Well, Thats what Dan and gang tell us. The RJ-11 and middle RJ-45 is in and the RJ-45 on the right is out. :D

Although, those of us in the know, know what you are saying, minus the bit about cat 5 network. Many non-tech people heat "Cat 5 Network" instantly think Ethernet. So you got to be cautious when you say "Cat 5 Network".

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Orville wrote:
BTW: I still have not figured out how to put those type cat5 black extenders in a controller box, they don't fit between the two lips where the snap rings are, tried taking them out and adding in one of these, but I guess with these I'm just not too savvy on how they get mounted in the current cat5 hole, plus to use them you need a second hole for a second fitting, which I really don't want to try and drill out. Especially not through the metal grounding strip above the second lip.

Agree on this point. I have used these on my four home made boxes only. Not on my pre-assembled LOR boxes.

I want to point out that I have had two of these fail due to twisting. There are three threaded parts to these. The first is a bulkhead which passes through a hole in the case. It should be VERY tight. When you remove the weather cap to insert the rj45, you could loosen the bulkhead too. This means you must open the case to prevent twisting inside. This defeats the purpose.

Yep, all my LOR Controllers were purchased as fully assembled units. So I'm sort of glad to see I was not actually doing something wrong when trying to "retro-fit" these type connectors to the pre-assembled units.

If they would have fit without modification to the LOR Controller box, would probably use them, since they don't. I'll just stick with my original way of doing it.

Thanks for clarifying that Bob!:D

Max-Paul wrote:

PMC wrote:
Surfing4Dough wrote:

ya but Paul this is not a Cat 5 network, but an RS-485 that does have in and outs. Well, Thats what Dan and gang tell us. The RJ-11 and middle RJ-45 is in and the RJ-45 on the right is out. :D

Although, those of us in the know, know what you are saying, minus the bit about cat 5 network. Many non-tech people heat "Cat 5 Network" instantly think Ethernet. So you got to be cautious when you say "Cat 5 Network".

your right, I'm so used to explaining Layer II and Layer III stuff, I went into cat 5 auto reply mode.

even the edit button wouldn't have helped me on that fumble, I answered and walked away