Light-O-Rama Forums

SMPTE

plasmadrive

Has anyone even broached the question of following SMPTE with S3?

If we could have S3 follow a SMPTE strip we sync all kind of goodies together and have virtually unlimited control of pretty much anything we wanted as long as it read the time code. Linking computers together to run various different programs that otherwise have no ties to LOR.

ie.. my laser software will follow SMPTE as will many mechanical motion packages... all things LOR can not do on it's own.

Any thoughts?

Hopefully this will stay in format when it posts.. or it will look funny.

•S.M.P.T.E.is an acronym than stands for Society of Motion PictureTelevision Engineers.This group created a clock or time based standard first used in television for synchronizing video tape machines for editing purposes.

• Today S.M.P.T.E. time code is used for a variety of different synchronizing purposes including audio, MIDI, video & film, pyro, and special effects.

• A S.M.P.T.E.display reads time as 00.00.00.00.00.From left to right this reads
0 hours, 0 minutes, 0 seconds, 0 frames, 0 sub frames.

One of the challenges with that would be that WMP probably does not play well with it, and it is the key component LOR uses for all media playback.

Now maybe if something else were playing the media, and LOR was basically doing an animation sequence to the time code. But now, doing the sequencing work will likely be a royal pain, as you no longer have an attached media file, and would likely have a 3rd tool that you have to scrub the media back and forth, while trying to figure out what you are doing in LOR...

I'm guessing there are things higher up the feature wish list...

I know I could stripe one channel with SMPTE and use it to allow everything else to follow it, but It would be nice if the LOR could follow it as well.

I am assuming you are right that there are many things on the wish list above SMPTE, especially since I doubt a lot of people that do this even know what SMPTE is... Some do for sure.. but I am guessing most do not.. but if was available, might open up an entirely new set of programmable options for the real world interface.

I'm just sayin! (c;