Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Smart Strips

Discotech24

Is Superstar the only way to control pixel on a strip or can they be programmed in the Sequence software as well. Little help please. Just ordered some smart strips with 170 pixels, and I am having a hard time playing with the Superstar Demo programming.

LOR does not support individual pixel control other than the CCR. Are you trying to control each pixel or the whole strip?

Yes i would like to control each pixel......i saw a message on another forum a few months ago that someone ordered strips similar to mine and he was able to use Superstar to program them

I'm not sure what they were using. If you run LOR in DMX you can use a DMX controller with the correct strip or string of lights and control each pixel. There are a lot of threads already started talking about what you want to do. I suggest you do a little reading and check out the DMX forum area. There is a ton of good info there!

Disco, If you have S3, Superstar if the most cost effective software to use. There are other means to program pixels, one being Light Show Pro the other is Madrix. Madrix is a very effective means to drive pixels, but at only 170, CERTAINLY not cost effective. 170 pixels puts you at close to 1 DMX universe figuring 3 channels per pixel to individually control them.

Anything you use will have some sort of learning curve to get used to.

There is a phenominal resource that was just published over the weekend, it's free, and is getting quite a bit of attention. It also covers the area you are asking about. I would check it out, then keep asking questions:

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1889.new.html#new

Pixel control is absolutely possible in S3 without using SuperStar. It may not be as automated as in Madrix or LSP, but definitely possible. If you take your time to layout your channels in S3 it makes it much less painful.
I have over 5000 RGB Pixels in my display and they were all programmed using just S3 sequence editor.
I've driven these pixels using iDMX-1000 boxes as well as using the USB-RS485 converter in raw DMX mode. Also used Enttec Pro usb to dmx boxes also.

dave

I did 13 strings of FireFli pixels (under DMX firmware) without using SuperStar. That's a lot of channels but manageable with the new S3 tools.

Thanks for the info. DO I have to set up 170 channels of DMX RGB to control the pixels.....or is there an easier way?

• The topic was locked