Light-O-Rama Forums

Wall washing 5050 led strip vs rainbow flood vs future ccf

bretk

So I have been playing around with a rainbow spot and rainbow flood as well as some 5050 rgb strip, and seem to have come to the conclusion that as far as generating a white color the 5050 LEDs are the way to go as the separation of the red,green,and blue LEDs in the rainbow products really doesnt generate a nice white. I think it's due to the mixing properties of the 5050 vs separate LEDs. Anybody else have a similar or different experience?

What type of LEDs are the cosmic color floods gonna have?

RGB mixing can do a pretty cool looking white, but for truly "pure" white, you need a RGBW. Not sure about the CCFs.

One other problem is that things like "cool white, warm white, and sometimes even pure white" are opinions, not facts :)

bretk wrote:

as the separation of the red,green,and blue LEDs in the rainbow products really doesnt generate a nice white.

The Rainbow Flood will mix properly as long as you don't shine it on a reflective surface, even gloss paint may not let it mix correctly. I have found the best way is to shine it at a very steep angle, and then look at it from a distance (like your audience will). It also depends on the color of the wall.

When you turned it to "white", what color did you see?

Steve,

I am looking at using them on a friends house as house up lighting with the ability to change colors for holidays and a slow motion pattern, think red white and blue for the forth ect. I got a somewhat haloed dirty white that just Did not look good.

• The topic was locked