Light-O-Rama Forums

Have a 1000'ish budget

Lincoln Lights

Troy Mann wrote:

ok, so what you're saying is because I am new to this and don't have as many years of experience like yourself (George); I should not have an opinion because I am still a rookie or is it that I can have an opinion but I shouldn't share it?

have you seen George's display.awesome, he gives alot of good advice and has helped me out this past year and a half. being new to this is like buying a new car,you won't now how all it works until you drive it awhile

I didn't see any RGB or CCR either. But I like the way you did your spiral tree Troy. Gave me some ideas...

But getting back to the subject at hand, let's use your display as a point of reference. You've got poles and arches - lots of motion, attracts attention. Your spiral tree is excellent, lots of motion, attracts attention. Your mega tree spins, attracts attention. Your snowflake cascade moves, attracts attention. Notice a pattern?

Now tell me, which of those things can be done with dumb RGB strips? I suppose poles can if you use a large enough diameter pvc so you don't damage the strips by wrapping them. (But I guarantee you won't be bending any pvc that size so I didn't include arches.) With strips you're working with an approximate 120 degree viewing angle, not the 360 degree view of most conventional lights. So that pretty much rules out a spiral tree and your circular mega tree. (You could still do a flat half-mega tree.) If you REALLY like soldering small wires onto small solder pads you could cobble together something to make a "snowflake" cascade.

What does that leave? You could probably do something similar to your house-peak tree since that's only seen from one side anyway. And you could outline the house and then turn sections on and off.

Do you see where I'm going with this? How long do you think someone will sit in their car and watch the house flash on and off and change colors before they remember their root-canal appointment and drive off? Or if someone three houses down has arches and spiral trees and things dancing around in the yard, which house will have the cars parked in front?

The OP was asking for ideas on a fixed budget, and it seemed to me was also looking for the most bang for the buck. Having worked with them for three years now, I can say unequivocally that I've never seen anything that comes ready-to-use from a box that gives more bang for the buck than a CCR. Your 'go big or go home' opinion relating to CCRs is totally inconsistent with my real-life experience.

Everybody.... Thanks for the input.... Here is the direction I am going to go....

I am going to buy 6 Rainbow Spot Lights assembled and 6 Rainbow Floods. Going to use the spots on the second story to creat a flating irish flag accross the house, and I am going to use the Floods to wash the first story with an Irish Flag effect.

I am going to get enough RGB strips to outlin my porch in three sections. Than I am going to buy incadesent light tubing to make my 9 minature shamrocks and 4 large sharocks. Maybe next year I will even have a singing shamrock.

When CCR / CCb come out I will invest in them for the 4th of july show / haloween show/ and finally a xmas show.

I like the idea of RGB dingles since you canget much more channels for you money. Instead of a 250+ dollar controller, you can run a 20-120 dmx controller that gets you 30+ channels.

Thank you for allof your discussions....

and finally,,,, na na na na boo boo

• 8 months later...

I was looking at my past content and laughed at myself when I saw the title to this previous post of mine. Long story short, the 1000 dollar budget went out the window months ago. On a positive front, I was able to get 50 ip68 5 m rgb dumb strips for $1000 including shipping. I have 32 of them on a 16ft mega tree and it has been outside for a week now. Now real rain yet, but sofar so good.

Also, I bought plasti dip spray with UV protection, and I coated my ip65 strips with it. After running the lights in a bow of water with out any negative results, I am feeling prettty good about the plastidip. (about $10 a can.)

Unfortunately I like to act first and fix later.... My credit card reflects that, but as of right now, I am 99% done with fabrication, and 60% done with install. Now it is time to sequence some music so I can have my show going by Thanksgiving night....

I was looking at my past content and laughed at myself when I saw the title to this previous post of mine. Long story short, the 1000 dollar budget went out the window months ago.

Thats to be expected in this hobby, Many a person has come in with a budget just to get CLAP and spend much more.