Light-O-Rama Forums

Have a 1000'ish budget

Lincoln Lights

So,

I am new to this world, and I am quickly realizing that I can not learn enough fast enough. The good thing is that I have been of the XBOX for almost a month now...Anyways, here is where I am at:

I started off with a plan to do a 16 channel V day display with one song using my Christmas lights (incandescent white lights). What I learned.... Holy crap it takes for ever to sequence a song, but the end result is worth it. After my first song, about 12 hours to sequence, I tackled my second song in about 6 with a little bit more sophistication in the sequencing. When I went to turn on the show the first time out side, my only hiccup was that I forgot to plug in one of my hearts...Also, making decorations is not too difficult if you are stubborn and willing to figure it out...

My hope was to carry my show into a 4 - 5 song st patty's day show using incandescent lights / light roping. However, I am convinced that RGB LED is the way to go for me. The flexibility and range of options you have far surpassed tracking down different colors of incandescent lights.

So, here is my question. I have found plenty of sights that offer RGB dumb and smart lighting. So do I spend money on incandescent lights for St patty's so I can get a show off, or should I attack the RGB led game and figure it out. Also, should I just buy the CCR for 259 or should I buy the components online and assemble my own ribbons for a fraction of the cost. I am leaning towards starting off with CCR's and some dumb RGB rope lights for ST pattys day and than use the months leading up to the 4th of JULY to learn more about the DMX RGB universe.

What other components from the LOR store do I need for the RGB's? I have seen on the boards poeple using a separate port on their PC to run LED's using a DMX controller (that little white box) spliced into a power supply, and running there LOR controller from another port. I currently have one 16 channel controller, and I want to make sure that the money I spend over the next few weeks gives me the most bang for my buck.

Enough rambling.... I appreciate any insight

Sean

Go RGB! There are quite a few of us stepping into this arena also. If you can wait for the summer sale, the CCR's go for around $200. LOR is also coming out with smart bulbs and floods this year.

For $1000 you could only get 5 CCR's, yes they are cool, but 12+ is cool. Can't do a whole lot with 5.

If you went RGB you could get a lot more

CMB16D--$99 (sale maybe $79) 1CMB control = 5 RGB strips

4=$400 4CMB would control 21 RGB strips

RGB strips-- $25 ( 21 strips= $525)

Total $925

More bang for the buck, that's my opinion anyway

Troy Mann wrote:

For $1000 you could only get 5 CCR's, yes they are cool, but 12+ is cool. Can't do a whole lot with 5.

I beg to differ. In 2010 I had only 2 and got a lot of mileage out of them. Last year, I had three and got a lot of mileage out of them. No, 5 ribbons isn't enough to do a gaudy "sign" (which would be cheaper to rent for a month anyway, not to mention looking nicer also) but getting mileage out of CCRs is more related to your imagination and your sequencing skills than the number of ribbons you have.

thanks a bunch,,,, my thought prior to the post was ccr would require less of a learning curve with only a couple of weeks to put something up for st pattys day.... in the long run, I think both will serve an important part of the show

I still would go with 21 RGB strips over 5 ccr strips. You still could do more/cover more/and be more creative with 21 strips versus 5 strips. You're looking at 336 feet of coverage vs 80 feet of coverage.

Now don't get me wrong, I would at a later date go with the CCR's, when I could afford more than 5.

The CCR's are still harder to sequence then the RGB strips and you would have to purchase software up grades for the Super star software which is still difficult.

no kevin lor dont sell rgb strips but you can get them from here cheap

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/329544925-5m-one-roll-5050-SMD-30LEDs-m-led-strip-waterproof-by-silicon-tubing-and-coating-RGB-wholesalers.html

you can get them alot cheaper but these are very good quailty i have put these in my bath for 24hrs and still they run fine

Troy Mann wrote:

I still would go with 21 RGB strips over 5 ccr strips. You still could do more/cover more/and be more creative with 21 strips versus 5 strips. You're looking at 336 feet of coverage vs 80 feet of coverage. Do you read your own words before posting them? Do you really believe it's more creative to use dumb strips that can do nothing more exciting than change color as opposed to a CCR with individual pixel control? Surely you jest. Have you ever even used a CCR or seen one in real life? I'd like to see a link to some of your videos.

Now don't get me wrong, I would at a later date go with the CCR's, when I could afford more than 5. Where is it written that a display should only have RGB? If "coverage" is the goal then go with conventional LED lights (or incans) and conventional controllers. Much cheaper and easier than RGB in every way, much more coverage for the same $$$, and no less creative. I've seen jaw-dropping displays that don't have a bit of RGB.

The CCR's are still harder to sequence then the RGB strips and you would have to purchase software up grades for the Super star software which is still difficult. Oh really? No offense to Brian B, but what do you think we did before Superstar was part of LOR? Do you think everyone who bought CCRs just sat around looking at them in their boxes and wishing there was some way of making them work? You might not know it, but there IS life beyond autosequence for people with even the tiniest bit of creativity.

George Simmons wrote:

Troy Mann wrote:
I still would go with 21 RGB strips over 5 ccr strips. You still could do more/cover more/and be more creative with 21 strips versus 5 strips. You're looking at 336 feet of coverage vs 80 feet of coverage.  Do you read your own words before posting them?  Do you really believe it's more creative to use dumb strips that can do nothing more exciting than change color as opposed to a CCR with individual pixel control?  Surely you jest.  Have you ever even used a CCR or seen one in real life?  I'd like to see a link to some of your videos.

Now don't get me wrong, I would at a later date go with the CCR's, when I could afford more than 5. Where is it written that a display should only have RGB?  If "coverage" is the goal then go with conventional LED lights (or incans) and conventional controllers.  Much cheaper and easier than RGB in every way, much more coverage for the same $$$, and no less creative.  I've seen jaw-dropping displays that don't have a bit of RGB.

The CCR's are still harder to sequence then the RGB strips and you would have to purchase software up grades for the Super star software which is still difficult.  Oh really?  No offense to Brian B, but what do you think we did before Superstar was part of LOR?  Do you think everyone who bought CCRs just sat around looking at them in their boxes and wishing there was some way of making them work?  You might not know it, but there IS life beyond autosequence for people with even the tiniest bit of creativity.

WOW!!! I didn't realize I couldn't have my own opinion. I apologize for giving an option to someone. Please forgive my wise one.

WOW!!! I didn't realize I couldn't have my own opinion. I apologize for giving an option to someone. Please forgive my wise one.

That's not a nice tone Troy!

Troy Mann wrote:

Ideas are built upon, and refined, when people choose to have civil discourse. I don't think your offended, defensive tone is in keeping with that spirit.

You're certainly welcome to give your opinion. Everyone has them. There's a difference, however, between speculative opinion and experienced opinion. I'm still waiting to see a video link so it can be determined which type of opinion you're giving.

ok, so what you're saying is because I am new to this and don't have as many years of experience like yourself (George); I should not have an opinion because I am still a rookie or is it that I can have an opinion but I shouldn't share it?

Troy Mann wrote:

ok, so what you're saying is because I am new to this and don't have as many years of experience like yourself (George); I should not have an opinion because I am still a rookie or is it that I can have an opinion but I shouldn't share it?

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. Please don't put words in my mouth. Re-read my post.