Light-O-Rama Forums

beginning question about groups

Ralph D

OK i'm about to get into using groups, but how to start is my question. do i have to start all over with all of my sequences or can i take what i have and start putting what i have already into groups. the exp,I don't want to start anything until i understand better.for now I just want to put all my arches in a group, so i don't know if i can just move the arches i have already and put them into the group... and will this group be in all my sequences, or will i have to put it in every sequence?

lol ok, I made my first group yeah!. but i don't know how to add my next arch to the group. a little help please

"Degroup" and then "Convert to Group" again... include the next arch(or all arches) when regrouping. You can nest grouping too. For instance if you had 4 7-channel arches, group all 28 channels and name it ARCHES. Then you can individually group each 7-chan arch within the ARCHES group. There might be an easier way but this works and is quick to do.

Ok got it thank you, now I also like my tracks, so the way I'm understanding this is I should click on leave a copies in there existing locations, so I can still use them with tracks right?

Ralph D wrote:

I should click on leave a copies in there existing locations, so I can still use them with tracks right?

That is not necessary. Channels may optionally be contained in groups, and both groups and channels are contained in tracks. You can have copies of a channel in multiple places simultaneously. For example it could be ungrouped in track 1, in a group that is in track 2, and even both by itself and in a group in a third track.

and will this group be in all my sequences, or will i have to put it in every sequence?

The best practice (discussed in another thread a few months ago), is to make track 1 your "master" track, with all channels and no groups. When you make a change (such as changing the order or putting something in a group), you do that in other tracks. Then you can export and import this configuration to all your sequences without messing up the sequencing you have already done.