Light-O-Rama Forums

PC Controllers - snubbers

happylighting25

Hi folks,

I am just getting started with this whole lighting project and I am kind of excited!

I am looking to get in on the LED light string sale from Seasonal Entertainment but after I spoke with them today about their strands they said that their lights do not necessarily need snubbers. I had no clue what they meant by snubbers (new guy here). After talking with the guys at DIYLightAnimation I discovered what snubbers actually are. They said that the Lynx Express has them built into the controller. So, than I went and did some reading and I am confused. Is it true that the LOR controllers have them built in? I was looking to buy the ready to go PC series controllers but was just wondering if I needed some C7 bulbs as well.

Thanks,
David

If you end up needing snubbers, these are simple ones to make.

I will let others answer your question specifically with regards to the newest generation of controllers and need for snubbers (mine are older).

Guest wbottomley

happylighting25 wrote:

Hi folks,

I am just getting started with this whole lighting project and I am kind of excited!

I am looking to get in on the LED light string sale from Seasonal Entertainment but after I spoke with them today about their strands they said that their lights do not necessarily need snubbers. I had no clue what they meant by snubbers (new guy here). After talking with the guys at DIYLightAnimation I discovered what snubbers actually are. They said that the Lynx Express has them built into the controller. So, than I went and did some reading and I am confused. Is it true that the LOR controllers have them built in? I was looking to buy the ready to go PC series controllers but was just wondering if I needed some C7 bulbs as well.

Thanks,
David

http://www.highcountrylights.com/glossary/Glossary-1/S/Snubber-62/

Surfing4Dough wrote:

If you end up needing snubbers, these are simple ones to make.
http://forums.planetchristmas.com/index.php?/topic/36988-easiest-terminatorssnubbers-to-make/

+1 on that link. I made a bunch of those and they work great. So easy even a caveman can do it.

happylighting25 wrote:

Do every set of LEDs need a snubber?

The short answer is NO.

The biggest issues seem to occur when you have a few sets of LEDs strung together. Ironically, it's the full-wave types that have this issue more so than the half-wave styles. With newer controller technology maybe you won't have any problems at all.