Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB ribbon light test

jerrymac

Test of 150 pixel( 5 meter), 300 pixel (5 meter) dumb riggons and CCR. also rgb ribbon bracket to hold over length made of 1" PVC cut in half lenghwise cover with Coro. The 300 pixel ribbon was well defused but the 150 pixel ribbon tends to show the individual pixels a little. The 150 would better be defused by using 1 1/2" OR 2" pvc. The PVC works well to keep the ribbon straight and prevents sagging as well as a nicely defused light. In the examples the CCR is in a PVC bracket with a 1" strip of white lath covered with 4" Dryer vent hose. The actual colors are much better saturated than they show in the video. The 300 pixel strings are brighter than the 150 pixel ribbon but not dramatically. the ribbons are dumb ribbons (of course other that the CCR).
videos of the test are on vimeo:

RGB mini tree test background lights on
RGB mini tree test background lights off
ribbon test with background lights on
ribbon test with background lights off
attached picture of the pvc ribbon bracket .

Attached files 305443=16766-PVC Light string brackt.JPG

Neglected to add info on the RGB mini tree (no edit available ?). the mini trees are white artificial trees with (10) 5050 3 pixel white modules over DMX. Color saturation also is much better than in the video. In this example these are dumb pixel modules (available from Holiday Coro at a little over 1$ a piece), with a 8$ controller. Total cost for this 2 foot mini tree about $26.00 ($8 for the tree). Of course virtualy any color can be generated.

Jerry,
Thanks for videos. Putting the 5050 modules in the trees is a great idea and has me rethinking my direction for 2012. I noticed in all of your videos that the color blue was not present. Is that a video thing or a childhood phobia ????

blue works well, just wasn't on the example. of the two the 150 led had a red white while the 300 led had a cool (very light blue) white. In order to get a clean white on the 150 ribbon I had to reduce the red to about 60% and reduce the blue and green to about 80%. Quality control on the 300 (non waterproof) was a little off and the green and blue wires on the ribbon were revesed. The 150 led were the waterproof type (which I would recommend) as they have a silicon casing making them a bit more sturdy.

• The topic was locked