Light-O-Rama Forums

Help networking

drivemewilder

I run 80 channels on 1 network, and this year i'm adding 6 CCR's. From what i've read, i can run 6 CCR's on one network. Just curious which adapter i need to buy so that i can keep my LOR channels and CCR's on seperate networks. A link would be great. I was told that in order to get "white" it would be 900 commands (RGB x 50pixels=150 x 6 ribbons= 900 commands). So will 1 network be enough to handle 6 CCR's? And if someone would remind me how to assign a new network, that would be great also. I don't recall how my first network got it's assigned name (comm5). Thanks!!

I am far from an expert.
2011 was my first year with CCRs.
I used a lot of short fast changes.
I was using 4 CCRs and 13 PC controllers.
Running everything on one network made the CCRs look bad. So bad I removed the power from them until I had a fix.
Itsmebob took a look at one of my sequences and suggested I slow things down, remove the fades and move the CCRs to their own network.
I figured to be safe I would put each CCR on its own network so I ordered 4 USB adapters (http://store.lightorama.com/uscoad.html ) from LOR and bought 4 25 foot cat6 cables. Hooked everything up made the changes in the sequences and one other place I can’t recall right now.
They look GREAT! Exactly the way I programed them!
Give yourself a couple of days to test.

Any of the USB to RS485 adapters LOR sells will work..

http://store.lightorama.com/uscoad.html

http://store.lightorama.com/uscoadwivobo.html

http://store.lightorama.com/usisad.html

As long as you already have the correct USB drivers installed (for your existing USB adapter), you can plug these in, and note what com port each one comes up as. I usually use blue masking tape to label each one both with the com port windows assigned, and later, with the network I assigned to it.

In the sequence editor, go to edit/preferences/network settings. This is where you map your com ports to the network names. (regular, aux a, aux b, etc)

There is also a checkbox to make the network selections show up in the channel properties. Set that as well.

The most important part is to separate your normal channels from your CCR, so that any bulk sends to the CCR don't slow down your nomal lights. Then the second thing I would do is split half your CCR on one network, and half on the other. So 3 networks total.

Ok, i think it all makes sense. So there is a difference between com ports and network names? My current channels are assigned Comm 5, i thought comm and network were the same thing? Also, the next to last sentence above states the "most important part..." how do i seperate normal channels from CCR? Is that what you were talking about (regular, aux a, aux, :(?

The sequence should not point directly to the com ports, as if you have to replace a USB adapter, or move to a backup computer, your com ports may not all be the same. Or, like my sequencing computer, usually does not have any com ports mapped, it just has the "network" names. By having the network settings tab, you have one place where you configure that all channels configured for Aux A, will go out one com port, so only one place to update that mapping if needed.

When you have a single network, it shows up in the network settings as "regular" and you have it tied to com5. When you add your next adapter, it might show up as com6. The network settings tab will allow you to specify it as one of the AUX networks, like aux A. Then, in the channel configuration, you would leave all your non CCR channels set to regular network, and set all your CCR channels to Aux A. This way, the show player only sends the CCR commands out Com 6, and the regular controller commands out Com 5.

If you split your CCR onto two separate networks, with 3 each, you would add a 3rd adapter, configure as aux B, and move half of your CCR to aux B.

Got it! I plan to do just as you stated (simple, cheap enough) to put 6 ccr on 2 networks instead of trying to put all 6 on 1. So my LOR channels will remain comm5-regular. The first 3 ccr's will be comm x- aux a. And the next 3 would be comm x(same as first 3 ccr's)- aux b.

• 2 months later...

1 more question: I haven't ordered the USB adapters yet since i haven't even recieved my new ribbons. But when the ribbons do come in next week, can i just use my current adapter (used for my PC's) to test out the ribbons? I will want to play with it to determine if i need 1 or 2 adapters to run my 6 CCR's. If i can use my current adapter, do i need to change the network settings or anything?

drivemewilder wrote:

1 more question: I haven't ordered the USB adapters yet since i haven't even recieved my new ribbons. But when the ribbons do come in next week, can i just use my current adapter (used for my PC's) to test out the ribbons? I will want to play with it to determine if i need 1 or 2 adapters to run my 6 CCR's. If i can use my current adapter, do i need to change the network settings or anything?

YES!!
You might be able to run everything on the one network.
I was sending too many commands at once.
You are going to love the CCRs.