Light-O-Rama Forums

Half wave Leds

jer75

Jeff Spooner wrote:

So with the speed of light that never changes. I was wondering on the theory of moving faster then the speed of light. Can you move faster then light. Kind of like in star wars or maybe warp speed like star trek.?

Actually, yes, this is possible and it has been done in controlled environments.

As for real world use, from my last encounters with the folks that were working on these theory(ies?) years ago, it's not entirely possible yet. But it could very well be one day, but how soon that happens I really don't know.

Now I haven't been involved with this stuff for over about 5 years or so. And every year, many aspects of our daily lives get proven, disproven or just get eliminated all together (or so it seems).

The best thing to do is research this over the internet, public libraries, or any local universities that may be conducting current research on the subject. I can't name any universities at the moment, as like stated, I haven't really kept up with it as much as I did when I was involved in this type or similar work, which has been somewhere around or over the last 5 years or so.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Simmons

• CKSedg

• jer75

• papap

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dan ,
Yeah they are 110v , I've put in an order for 140 strings 70ct in various colours ,
They are only half wave but I dont think I'm going to worry about a little flicker .
Just waiting for my final bill .
Cheers
Jerry

Orville wrote:

Orville wrote:
Orville wrote:
DonFL wrote:
Orville wrote:

The speed of light DOES NOT change, ever! So whomever wrote that thread has no clue as to the speed of light or physics apparently.

The speed at which light travels is actually dependant on each persons personal perception. It does not matter which way the light is pointed, North, South, West, East, Up or Down, Horizontal or Vertical. There are some variables that slow it down, but the speed of light never changes. Not even from the dimmest bulb to the brightest one, each still travels at exactly the same speed.

Orv, I think you are contradicting yourself here, aren't you? Its dependent on personal perception but never changes?

That's NOT a contradiction, it's a fact. The speed of light never changes, it is always the same, it is each persons perception that changes the speed of light as it is viewed. But the actual speed of light is constat and does not vary.

Line in red above should read:

But the actual speed of light is constan and does not vary.

{p.s. I do miss that Edit button!}

DASH IT ALL!

Line was still wrong! Darn keyboard and No Edit button!

Should HAVE READ: But the actual speed of light is constant and does not vary.

To be accurate Orville, the speed of light is only constant in a vacuum. Since none of our displays are in a Hoover there are potentially varying speeds of light demonstrated amongst our various displays. Those with poor eyes are not able to perceive such differences. As light travels through air or water, it travels at different speeds. Ironically this is even discussed right at the top of the main site you posted above:
Does the speed of light change in air or water?
Yes. Light is slowed down in transparent media such as air, water and glass. The ratio by which it is slowed is called the refractive index of the medium and is always greater than one.* This was discovered by Jean Foucault in 1850.
When people talk about "the speed of light" in a general context, they usually mean the speed of light in a vacuum. This quantity is also referred to as c.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/speed_of_light.html

I suggest that you might also take a look here as well to add to your physics knowledge:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_speed_of_light

Just saying (and just don't want somebody to come along later and read your "facts". I am sure you would feel awful if a college student read your post and failed their physics exam based on that info).

Surfing4Dough wrote:

I suggest that you might also take a look here as well to add to your physics knowledge:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_speed_of_light

Just saying (and just don't want somebody to come along later and read your "facts". I am sure you would feel awful if a college student read your post and failed their physics exam based on that info).

Why I don't rely or use the "wiki", ANYONE can log in and EDIT anything there, so what may be factual from one persons standpoint, may not be to another and that person can then go in and edit the info to suit their ideology or theory.

The sites I posted are directly linked to Nasa and an University Physics Math department, those CAN NOT be edited or changed, they remain constant unless Nasa or the University changes them.

I have found the wiki to not only be lacking at some times, but edited info that was completely wrong in some areas. So I wouldn't trust that source as much as some will. If the info could not be edited by anyone just logging in to change it, that would be a little different matter. I set up an account there some time back and found I could edit the definitions and many other aspects if I wanted too. I changed nothing, but I could have changed full and complete definitions there. Therefore, this is why I find the Wikipedia somewhat unreliable.

Again, that's my opinion, but if I can go in and make changes, then anyone can as long as they have an account with them.

Would you really trust a site where just ANY PERSON can change the information to suit them?

Surfing4Dough wrote:

I am sure you would feel awful if a college student read your post and failed their physics exam based on that info).

or worse yet, a middle school student...:shock:

if they fail that is not my fault. The info came from those sites, so Nasa and that University must not know anything either from these replies aimed at me that I did nothing more than render what the text on these sites stated.

Again, I am being singled out for something I DID NOT create, write or make up, these are the FACTS based from those sites where the information is readily readable.

So if someone fails, I have given them no more info than those sites have offered, and when I stated opinion I said so.

Too many here can't seem to comprehend a persons opinion as opposed to what was taken from other sites and posted. If it's posted on such sites as Nasa or a Universitry, you're darn right I'm take that as facts over some site where any person in the known universe can edit the information.

Guest Don Gillespie

In Canada the light travells much slower than it does in the States, only due to the fact that air is heavier up here, thus creating a slower transfer of engery for the light to travel across.

I don't know why I keep getting blank posts, but here goes again:

You guys are a riot! :D I haven't laughed this hard at an exchange on the forums for a long time. Thanks for starting it, George. document.write('big_grin.gif');big_grin.gif:D:D:D:D:D

Even though some of you (well, at least one) may not have been trying to be funny, I got a good laugh!

I can't wait to travel faster than light. Maybe I can get younger as I go....or is it I will age twice as fast? Either way, thanks!

Don Gillespie wrote:

In Canada the light travells much slower than it does in the States, only due to the fact that air is heavier up here, thus creating a slower transfer of engery for the light to travel across.

That's why they are called Northern Lights:P

CKSedg wrote:

I can't wait to travel faster than light. Maybe I can get younger as I go....or is it I will age twice as fast?

I think that depends on:

whether you're traveling half-wave or full-wave,

what direction you're going in relation to the light,

and whether you're in a vacuum or encased in glass.

George Simmons wrote:

CKSedg wrote:
I can't wait to travel faster than light. Maybe I can get younger as I go....or is it I will age twice as fast?

I think that depends on:

whether you're traveling half-wave or full-wave,

what direction you're going in relation to the light,

and whether you're in a vacuum or encased in glass.

Good points, George. Maybe someday we'll find out!

Hmmmm.
If you fart while you are traveling at the speed of light, does the fart travel at the speed of sound, the speed of light, or a combined speed of both which would make it faster than the speed of light (perhaps similar to a Bud Light).

And would that fart be a wav or an MP3 (unless it was too wet in which case I suppose it would be a squishy).

Man this science stuff is just fasinating isn't it?

beeiilll wrote:

Hmmmm.
If you fart while you are traveling at the speed of light, does the fart travel at the speed of sound, the speed of light, or a combined speed of both which would make it faster than the speed of light (perhaps similar to a Bud Light).

And would that fart be a wav or an MP3 (unless it was too wet in which case I suppose it would be a squishy).

Man this science stuff is just fasinating isn't it?

Fascinating? Well, maybe; but I will say it's getting a bit weird!

beeiilll wrote:

And would that fart be a wav or an MP3...

That depends on whether it was a full-length effort or compressed.

George Simmons wrote:

beeiilll wrote:
And would that fart be a wav or an MP3...

That depends on whether it was a full-length effort or compressed.

Then it could be a MIDI file

Orville wrote:

Why I don't rely or use the "wiki", ANYONE can log in and EDIT anything there, so what may be factual from one persons standpoint, may not be to another and that person can then go in and edit the info to suit their ideology or theory.

The sites I posted are directly linked to Nasa and an University Physics Math department, those CAN NOT be edited or changed, they remain constant unless Nasa or the University changes them.

I have found the wiki to not only be lacking at some times, but edited info that was completely wrong in some areas. So I wouldn't trust that source as much as some will. If the info could not be edited by anyone just logging in to change it, that would be a little different matter. I set up an account there some time back and found I could edit the definitions and many other aspects if I wanted too. I changed nothing, but I could have changed full and complete definitions there. Therefore, this is why I find the Wikipedia somewhat unreliable.

Again, that's my opinion, but if I can go in and make changes, then anyone can as long as they have an account with them.

Would you really trust a site where just ANY PERSON can change the information to suit them?

Orville wrote:
if they fail that is not my fault. The info came from those sites, so Nasa and that University must not know anything either from these replies aimed at me that I did nothing more than render what the text on these sites stated.

Again, I am being singled out for something I DID NOT create, write or make up, these are the FACTS based from those sites where the information is readily readable.

So if someone fails, I have given them no more info than those sites have offered, and when I stated opinion I said so.

Too many here can't seem to comprehend a persons opinion as opposed to what was taken from other sites and posted. If it's posted on such sites as Nasa or a Universitry, you're darn right I'm take that as facts over some site where any person in the known universe can edit the information.

Let me remind you of your initial statement:

Orville wrote:
The speed of light DOES NOT change, ever!

All I did was clarified the accuracy of that statement. Only reason I "singled you out" was because you were the one that made the statement here. No attack intended (though I will admit that I teased about your vision but edit button didn't work to include the appropriate emoticon, so I will insert it here :D)

Again, taken exactly from the "University Physics Math Department" that you yourself quoted above (from the 'prestigious' University of California Riverside):

Does the speed of light change in air or water?
Yes. Light is slowed down in transparent media such as air, water and glass. The ratio by which it is slowed is called the refractive index of the medium and is always greater than one.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/speed_of_light.html

The reason I posted the wiki is that it summarizes the scientific VSL models pretty well.

On top of the 33 references listed at the end of the wiki, here are a few more for you from a few reputable universities:

http://www.ccmr.cornell.edu/education/ask/index.html?quid=1408

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/lightandcolor/refractionintro.html (included this one since it is close to home for you)

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/1999/02.18/light.html

http://www.rpi.edu/dept/phys/Dept2/APPhys1/optics/optics/node4.html

http://www.bigravitytheory.com/pdf/modern_physics_letters_a1.pdf

(with regards to NASA, I didn't know that the guys that made space ships and flew on them were the bible writers of physics--and that is in no way a dig on NASA since they are the best in the world at what they do.)

And for what it is worth, and to stay on topic, I would definitely take a load of half-wave LEDs if somebody wanted to give them to me. Most of my display uses them. They fade nicely (if connect 4+ strings in series a snubber can aid slight stutter at the lower end of fades--but I don't think this is unique to just half-wave LEDS strings). And unless you shake the strings very fast, you can't see the "flicker" that half-waves have ("looks" like a buzzing). Hope the money saved helps you pull off a wonderful wedding Jerry!