Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR all on, won't turn off

CLD Kevin

Having a problem with one of my ccrs and i cant figure out whats wrong with it. When I plug in the power, the whole strip stays on white (all on) except a few pixels here and there are blue or green. Every time I unplug and plug power. Does the same thing. If I reset the controller by pushing the reset button and pluging in the power. The whole strip still all on except the first 4 or 5 pixels. They roll there the 3 colors, but not every time. I reset the controller a few times and sometimes the first few pixels roll throught the colors and sometimes they don't come on at all. I have not tried swapping with another controller as they are mounted up night right now and I can't get to them. Just thought I would post and maybe some ran into this before I start climbing on roofs.

Also, another controller was having issues. The power light on the. I controller kept turning off. Every time I disconnected power, the light on the controller would fast blink...not like the blink for no signal, faster. Then turn off after a 5 or seconds. After I disconnect the cat5 cable to the other problem controller above, it worked again. Will a crossed of bad cat5 cable cause problems with the previous controller. I can understand down the line, but the one before unless the controller was send something "bad" back? I do t know, just weird to me.

Kevin

Yes on the Cat5 affecting all the controllers. I had an entire network out this year. Unplugged each cat5 one at a time until I found some mud where the jack had touched the ground. This short cause all to blink.

Good luck with your project I hope you get them all going soon.

Lets start with the basics here.

Connect each CCR to a working controller and only apply power. Does the CCR just flash once when powered up. I mean apply AC power. Mark any Ribbons as possibly bad.

If the CCR's work as above now take one good ribbon and test the remaining controllers, they should work as above. Mark and controllers as possibly bad.

If every above works then take one ribbon and controller and power up, now connect to a USB dongle and test using the Hardware Utility verify the ID number then just control the first 16 channels here.

If works then remove the first ribbon and controller and take the second Ribbon and controller and test the same way. Do this for all CCR's.

If all work then connect 2 together and you can control each one. Add another one and check again until all are in the chain

Now I am assuming you have each controller on a different ID number and you have that ID number taped to each controller.

When connecting the CCR's to test, you are checking the dongle, Cat 5 cable, and driver for the dongle.

The purpose is to test one possible problem at a time. I learned along time ago, try to test one thing at a time, it reduces confusion and frustration.

I wish I could the all those test, but unfortunately props are in the way for the lift and really they didn't give me that time to do it. I'm kinda stuck in bad place. However, I did check every ribbon before installing and all

When I power up the controller, usually the strip will flash real quick and turn off. This one just turns all-on and stays on even if I power up with the reset button.

I'm wondering if the power being provided caused a surge and damaged the controller? Staying all on is what got me?

I had a similar problem, but it happened in the last 1/4 of the ribbon. The problem sounds like one of the signal (D or C) lines has a bad or intermittent connection. When power is first applied, the 6803 chips in the ribbon probably turn "all on" until they receive the data signal. In my case, the last 1/4 of the ribbon was white. I could temporarily fix it by applying some pressure to the ribbon at that point. After it warmed up for a day, the problem went away.

Your other problem with the power light on the controller sounds like pins 3 & 6 (accessory power) on the CAT5 cable may be shorted or reversed.

I agree with Steven....

when mine went "all white" it was a bad solder joint in one of those small balck rectangle thingy's with ( I think) 16 legs.

When I pressed on it, the problem would go away.

I finally put a very thin piece of wood under it (outside of the vinyl covering) and zip tied it tight...fixed it for the rest of the season.

Problem solved. The controller was bad. Replaced with new and works perfect. Also, Steven correct about the Cat5 cable. While freezing my a$$ off in the rain and on a roof, I reversed the RJ45...and I'm sticking to that story why I messed up. Thanks for your help.

Also big props to Brian from WowLighting for coming through will new CCRs for me even though he was out of stock. He sold me some out of his personal stash that were still brand new. Big Thank You!!!

Kevin

• The topic was locked