Light-O-Rama Forums

EDM transmitter

Chris B

So after speaking with EDM via email, which has excellent technical support the problem turned out to be lack of a line level attenuator. My wife went and purchased what edm recommended to me from radio shack and after a brief explanation to her via phone while i was at work tested it out for me. After adding the line level I can transmit for blocks, as tested by her mother driving away from our house and letting us know when the signal dropped out. Very ggod company to deal with, would use them again! Chris

• Like 1

Chris B wrote:

So after speaking with EDM via email, which has excellent technical support the problem turned out to be lack of a line level attenuator. My wife went and purchased what edm recommended to me from radio shack and after a brief explanation to her via phone while i was at work tested it out for me. After adding the line level I can transmit for blocks, as tested by her mother driving away from our house and letting us know when the signal dropped out.  Very ggod company to deal with, would use them again!              Chris

Chris, what were the specs of the attenuator you purchased? And once installed did you adjust the volume coming out of the computer?

My EDS was at full power (in the garage) and while the signal worked well out front, it was very poor/non existent in the house. (1 maybe 2 walls away)
  • Like 1

Often people end up driving too high level audio into the EDM units. This causes
terrible distortion on the receive side making users to think that they received
a faulty unit.

Please remember that the EDM units require consumer level -10dBv line-level
audio. The output from a MP3 player or PC sound card may be much too high for
the EDM.

Simple rule of thumb: If your audio source is strong enough to power a set of
headphones or earphones, the chances are very good that you will end up with
distortion on the receiver side.

The simplest solution is to add a inline volume control to bring the range low
enough for the EDM units to handle.

Chris B wrote:

Often people end up driving too high level audio into the EDM units. This causes
terrible distortion on the receive side making users to think that they received
a faulty unit.

Please remember that the EDM units require consumer level -10dBv line-level
audio. The output from a MP3 player or PC sound card may be much too high for
the EDM.

Simple rule of thumb: If your audio source is strong enough to power a set of
headphones or earphones, the chances are very good that you will end up with
distortion on the receiver side.

The simplest solution is to add a inline volume control to bring the range low
enough for the EDM units to handle.

Chris: I assume this is the email EDM sent you. Thanks for posting. I ran my EDM from the earphone jack on my PC and didn't experience any distortion unless I had the volume maxed out. However, I may go one of the Radio Shack controls you posted and see if I can tell any difference. Again, thanks for posting.

Actually it wasn't a distortion problem, it was a distance problem. I would only get 5 feet out of the thing. Apparently my computer was overdrviving the inputs basically killing the output. Yes I tried lowering the volume of my computer but it still didnt help. And yes it was an email response from edm, one of many.

thanks Chris for dropping back in to let us know how it worked out. Interesting how it sounded good in your house but not out in the car. And it was all because you where over deviating.

Max-Paul wrote:

thanks Chris for dropping back in to let us know how it worked out. Interesting how it sounded good in your house but not out in the car. And it was all because you where over deviating.

Max..calling the guy a deviant? Isn't that going a little too far?:shock:

A little FM transmitter humor there (actually, very little).

DonFL wrote:

I'll bet it makes you wish you had an edit button, doesn't it?

DonFL wrote:

Max-Paul wrote:

Max..calling the guy a deviant? Isn't that going a little too far?:shock:

I think the engineers that developed F.M. had a sense of humor. (referring to the other meaning of F.M.) As seen in this tread.