Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone that has written to the $6 DMX Modules

bdeditch

When using the Holidaycoro program to write the channels to the Module, you should have a file in C:Publicdataout.txt. This is what mines says and I am wondering WHY so many zeros in it.

00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-
00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-
0-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00Next

There is a LOT more 0's in this text file. Just showing beginning & end. Just wondering if my is OK or not.

I had this issue. I had to change the pins on the programmer for it to work right. When I would program it, it would always come back as channel 0. Once I changed the pins, it worked when I set the channel.

Yes, I put a new plug on my programmer so they were right.

2 things.....

When I programmed my boxes, they would come back as channel 0. Not what I wanted. I wanted them on the channel I was telling them to be on.

When I was plugging the module into my DMX System to test, I would have to switch the pins (before I made the change permanent on the programmer plug) again to test. I didn't like that. I just wanted to go from one cat5 coupler to another without switching pins.

So I remade the programmer connector so that it was all the same. Ever since then, I have not seen the channel 0 error unless I try to read the device. I don't care to read it because I can just test it from my DMX system to ensure the values took. Which I want to test anyways.

geronc wrote:

2 things.....

When I programmed my boxes, they would come back as channel 0. Not what I wanted. I wanted them on the channel I was telling them to be on.

When I was plugging the module into my DMX System to test, I would have to switch the pins (before I made the change permanent on the programmer plug) again to test. I didn't like that. I just wanted to go from one cat5 coupler to another without switching pins.

So I remade the programmer connector so that it was all the same. Ever since then, I have not seen the channel 0 error unless I try to read the device. I don't care to read it because I can just test it from my DMX system to ensure the values took. Which I want to test anyways.

So change pins 1 & 2 on the programer usd to cat5E cable?

bdeditch wrote:

geronc wrote:

2 things.....

So change pins 1 & 2 on the programer USB to cat5E cable?

Well I tried it and it still says 0. Now I can use the numbers 1-2-3, and then 4-5-6, so on and so on, Or do I have to start higher like 101-102-103?

Are you writing to the module and then trying to read it back? I forgot to ask you yesterday.

If you are, that has issues. Just write to it the channel number. Test it with DMX.

Last year trying to program the same modules I made up a cable to program the DMX modules. Got the same error message.

After several attempts to get it to work, went and got my DVM out and started doing a continuity test on the setup, What my problem turned out to be was a defective Cat 5 plug, When inserting the Cat 5 wires in the plug, the pin 1 & 2 wires somehow did not stay in alignment and the 2 wires actually where shorted to each other inside the plug.

Cut off the plug and crimped on a new one and it worked.

Just something to check.

geronc wrote:

Are you writing to the module and then trying to read it back? I forgot to ask you yesterday.

If you are, that has issues. Just write to it the channel number. Test it with DMX.

I did try to read it back and it said the same thing Module set to 0

Well I just about give up. I have tried everything and anything. I checked the power and I am getting 12 volts I changed the lines out and made sure they worked. It keeps coming up "Module set to channel:0" I don't know what else I can try. The module works it goes in the little light show. I reied it in LOR and it won't work unless I set the channels to 1,2,3

• The topic was locked