Light-O-Rama Forums

Using Trigger with computer?

chrisl1976

Is there anyway to use a trigger for starting the show through a computer? I would love to run things like the multiple CCR or RGB through DMX, but with the channel limitations of the MP3 director I'm stuck.

I only need 1 trigger to start the show, but it needs to be a button. Is there some USB option available anyone has seen?

Thanks

There is a show start trigger option for PC shows, but it expects the trigger to be on a controller, on a LOR network. There is a card to make hooking a button up to a standard controller easier, or a servo dog with MP3 director header also works, and is cheaper.

Thanks, I'll have to look into it. I have the header for the MP3 director now since its running from a button now. I was just looking for options to expand the realm of possibilities and still keep the trigger option since it is required for the display.

Start on page 79 of the S3 user manual and it will walk you through some of the things you need to know. One thing is you'll need the Advanced license it sounds like.

To setup how the show starts in the MP3 director you do that via the Hardware Utility on the LOR MP3 tab, in the "Select When Show Plays" section (page 429).

You can also now use the Hardware utility to easily test trigger inputs.

http://www.lightorama.com/downloads/3.0.2/LORHelp.pdf

also more detail on page 26/27 of the MP3 manual. page 45/46 shows wiring for trigger inputs.

http://www.lightorama.com/PDF/DC-MP3_Man_Web.pdf

after re-reading what i just posted, may want to verify the license requirements.. that may only be for PC driven shows?

Hopefully, someone will correct anything I get wrong, but thought I'd see if I could point you in the right direction. I don't use the Show Director, so I can't speak to that, but both the commercial and residential controllers have the ability to receive external inputs. I have the commercial controllers and used an input to start my show on opening night this past year.

If I'm interpreting LOR's website correctly, you'll need the Advanced license of the software. Once ou have that, the software manual lays it out pretty well.

Here's a link to a thread that I started last November when I was trying to figure it out myself. Hope this helps...

http://forums.lightorama.com/forum93/29843.html

• 4 months later...

Sorry if I'm playing the role of Captain Obvious here, but where is the hardware setup for an Interactive Trigger? I want to setup a fake doorbell for Halloween.

Lets backup a moment. The show scheduler, will start the show whenever you wish. Use the show editor and build it the way you wish, then use the scheduler to tell the computer when to start. Its time-based instead of a trigger but if that's all you need, use it. I can't speak for the MP3 Director as I don't have one.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if I'm playing the role of Captain Obvious here, but where is the hardware setup for an Interactive Trigger? I want to setup a fake doorbell for Halloween.

Looking to do something similar for my Halloween display at our queue line where the guests waiting can press a button to activate a sequence that tells a short story about the Haunt with assorted lights, props, etc..

I have an "Advanced License" and use the LOR1600W Controllers. I've read through the S3 manual and either I can't find a diagram or I'm just not reading the right page.

I've been using LOR for my lighting for the last few years, but looking to add this advanced feature. So, before I start poking around and short out my Controller, if anyone can offer some guidance or point me to the right page(s) or wiring diagrams, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

I have never used triggers but have some knowledge. And you know that can be dangerous.

Do you questioners have the little PC card attachment to run the trigger off your controller?

On some controllers you need to have a small piece of hardware to wire your buttons into the controller.

If you have a CCR controller I believe you can wire a switch directly into that and it may be used for interactive stuff.

There are 2 components for set-up: the wiring up of a switch into the controller and then the setting up of the switch in the Show editior Interactive Tab.

Hope this post is helpful or helps to get you the answers you need.

You'll want to consult both the S3 software manual as well as the hardware manual for you controller.

For the hardware manual, look for the section titled "J0 Header". It will tell you how to connect your switch to the hardware. To make it even easier, LOR offers a small board that you can attach to the J0 header to give you 3 inputs. Here's the link... http://store.lightorama.com/ctinco3in.html

For the software manual, look for the section titled "Interactve Groups". That'll walk you through the setup that tells your show what to do when it receives the input from your button. In the version I have (3.1.4), it's in paragraph 4.2.1 of the manual.

It wouldn't let me edit my original post, so here's some add'l info...

For the hardware manual, you'll want to look at the one for the CTB16D.

For my first year, my switch was a last-minute addition, so I didnt have time to order the little board I mentioned above. Since then, I've ordered a few to use and to have on hand. I have the 1602W hardware. Same board as yours. Just 30amp vs. 15amp.

I have never used triggers but have some knowledge. And you know that can be dangerous.

Do you questioners have the little PC card attachment to run the trigger off your controller?

On some controllers you need to have a small piece of hardware to wire your buttons into the controller.

If you have a CCR controller I believe you can wire a switch directly into that and it may be used for interactive stuff.

There are 2 components for set-up: the wiring up of a switch into the controller and then the setting up of the switch in the Show editior Interactive Tab.

Hope this post is helpful or helps to get you the answers you need.

It wouldn't let me edit my original post, so here's some add'l info...

For the hardware manual, you'll want to look at the one for the CTB16D.

For my first year, my switch was a last-minute addition, so I didnt have time to order the little board I mentioned above. Since then, I've ordered a few to use and to have on hand. I have the 1602W hardware. Same board as yours. Just 30amp vs. 15amp.

Ed and Aaron,

Many thanks for the info, this is exactly what I was looking for! I do not have one of the Input Connector Cards, but will be ordering one ASAP since that will make things a lot easier.

I had been reading the sections regarding the Interactive Shows setup in the software, so that's what really got me interested in adding it to my show.

I'll keep you posted and thanks again!