Light-O-Rama Forums

Speakers

mastersnowdaddy

Steven wrote:

Orville wrote:
Found these for $19.95 which I thought interesting as from the sound of the header they have 24VDC strobes built into them: (actually thinking of buying a set of these!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-EST-202-7A-T-INDOOR-OUTDOOR-STROBE-SPEAKER-/150384265151?pt=BI_Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item230399c7bf

I don't think those are speakers at all! I Googled it and found these specifications:
http://www.ncsound.com/estpdfs/202strobes.pdf

Thanks for the info Steven.

Then the seller has them labeled incorrectly.

I tried to take a closer look at the photo and thought they may have had a speaker mounted inside the "fire box". Apparently that is incorrect, it may have a siren in there, but wouldn't be a speaker. (I wish folks would understand that a siren and a speaker are two different things!).

Glad you posted this before I opted to spend any money on them, thinking they were something they aren't!

IMO you guys are over thinking this problem.. amplified computer speakers can be found pertty cheaply, both online and at computer stores.. these are the ones I use, I think I spent $15 for them, new from Frys Electronics.

They are heavy for small speakers, but sound as good as Boze. They are hidden under my minitrees, along the sidewalk, set at a volume loud enough to be heard on the sidewalk, but not across the street, in gallon size ziplock bags (for weatherproofing). The bags dont buzz or rattle with the sound either. They are fed from a splitter on the computer thru a 25' stereo headphone extension cord that runs across the yard. The other side of the splitter send the audio to the transmitter. There is more than enough line level to run both..

Yes, you can go with 70v systems, if you're running speakers more than 50-100' away.. if it's less, why spend the extra $$? And you dont have to use amplified speakers for sidewalk watchers.

Attached files 303706=16669-speakers.jpg

TJ Hvasta wrote:

IMO you guys are over thinking this problem.. amplified computer speakers can be found pertty cheaply, both online and at computer stores.. these are the ones I use, I think I spent $15 for them, new from Frys Electronics.

What's the brand name on these TJ? These would be perfect for my situation.

Steven wrote:

Running long (over 50') speaker cables from a typical amplifier (like a stereo receiver or a boom box) can degrade the low frequency response and dynamic range, due to the resistance of the wire. Using a larger gauge wire can reduce this problem.

The way this is done at professional events, such as concerts, racetracks, etc. is to use high-impedance speakers. These speakers are actually rated in voltage, not impedance, with 70-volts being typical. They are often known as simply "70 volt" systems.

My neighbor found a surplus "70 volt" paging amplifier, so I hooked it up to my display, with rock speakers and 70 volt transformers I bought on eBay. Even though it is connected through with over 50 feet of 24-gauge cable, and even though it is mono, it still sounds better than the other speakers I use. Last year, I used my existing speakers, and in addition, switched the new 70-volt system on from 6:00 to 9:00p.m. for fuller sound.

Another professional method is to use speakers with integrated amplifiers, but this may not be feasible for many of our displays because these speakers are usually not weatherproof, and require high-quality shielded microphone cable to avoid noise pickup. They are also typically not cheap.
Ya got to admit Steven. For someone worried about long wire degrading the low frequencies. Then you use a paging amplifier that probably has rotten frequency response then speakers hidden in rocks (again less than stellar response). Just kind of funny. :P

JSelph wrote:

TJ Hvasta wrote:

What's the brand name on these TJ? These would be perfect for my situation.

Since this pix was taken (couple yrs ago) they've been spray painted black so there's no marking on them.