Light-O-Rama Forums

Speakers

mastersnowdaddy

Does anyone know what ohm and watt speaker specs are needed for a pro series controller ?? Thanks,:? also Iam having a problem opening the demo sequencing ??

The directors audio output is line level, not speaker level, so you would need an amplifier of some sort to drive speakers. The ohms is around 8 each and the watts can be at least 50, depending on the amplifier you buy.

Most people put amplifiers inside and run speaker wires outdoors to their speakers. Weatherproof speakers would be a good thing. Some of these people also run a small FM transmitter so people can hear them in their cars without getting out in the weather.

Ken Benedict wrote:

...so you would need an amplifier of some sort to drive speakers.

If you use powered speakers, do you still need an amplifier?

Powered speakers means the "amplifier" is into each powered amplifier.

The answer to your question is you don't need amplifier.

Some powered speakers cost more than regular no powered speakers, better to research about the cost of powered speakers and compare it to the cost of no powered speakers plus cost of amplifier.

CORRECTIONS:

Powered speakers means the "amplifier" is into each powered SPEAKER.

Some powered speakers cost more than regular no powered speakers, better to research about the cost of powered speakers and compare it to the cost of no powered speakers plus cost of amplifier.

Powered speakers means the "amplifier" is into each powered speaker.

Well I just use an FM Trasnmitter and a CHEAPO Thrift Store Stereo tuned to the FM frequency I use and outdoor speakers for my display connected to the stereo inside the house. Been working very well that way for 2 years now.

If speakers are connected directly to a computer (no FM transmitter), then amplified outdoor speakers or an cheap amp out to outdoor speakers would be the way to go.

I actually found it to be cheaper to buy an FM Transmitter and use a cheap stereo with some inexpensive outdoor speakers I bought a few years ago. Got them on ebay at a buy it now price of $19.95¢ and at the time got free shipping. Already had the spare stereo that I bought at a thrift store many years ago and paid $2.00 for it at the time. But you can find them from $7-$10 in most thrift stores today.

The biggest cost would be the FM Transmitter, I and many others here would recommed go with an EDM unit. Best value for your money.

EDM Transmitters: http://www.edmdesign.com/

Running long (over 50') speaker cables from a typical amplifier (like a stereo receiver or a boom box) can degrade the low frequency response and dynamic range, due to the resistance of the wire. Using a larger gauge wire can reduce this problem.

The way this is done at professional events, such as concerts, racetracks, etc. is to use high-impedance speakers. These speakers are actually rated in voltage, not impedance, with 70-volts being typical. They are often known as simply "70 volt" systems.

My neighbor found a surplus "70 volt" paging amplifier, so I hooked it up to my display, with rock speakers and 70 volt transformers I bought on eBay. Even though it is connected through with over 50 feet of 24-gauge cable, and even though it is mono, it still sounds better than the other speakers I use. Last year, I used my existing speakers, and in addition, switched the new 70-volt system on from 6:00 to 9:00p.m. for fuller sound.

Another professional method is to use speakers with integrated amplifiers, but this may not be feasible for many of our displays because these speakers are usually not weatherproof, and require high-quality shielded microphone cable to avoid noise pickup. They are also typically not cheap.

These are the speakers I use with a cheapo thrift-store stereo via FM Transmitter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynex-DX-SP211-2-Way-Indoor-outdoor-Speakers-NEW-/320823130661?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item4ab28c7a25

Found these for $19.95 which I thought interesting as from the sound of the header they have 24VDC strobes built into them: (actually thinking of buying a set of these!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-EST-202-7A-T-INDOOR-OUTDOOR-STROBE-SPEAKER-/150384265151?pt=BI_Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item230399c7bf

Orville wrote:

Found these for $19.95 which I thought interesting as from the sound of the header they have 24VDC strobes built into them: (actually thinking of buying a set of these!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-EST-202-7A-T-INDOOR-OUTDOOR-STROBE-SPEAKER-/150384265151?pt=BI_Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item230399c7bf

I don't think those are speakers at all! I Googled it and found these specifications:
http://www.ncsound.com/estpdfs/202strobes.pdf