Light-O-Rama Forums

Any encouragment, ideas, advice, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Bucket

George Simmons wrote:

james campbell wrote:
I think it would be a good choice to start out with 32,I did and this year I am jumping to 80 channels,I am half way though my first song and it is way easier to sequence with more channels

It might sound counter-intuitive to someone just starting out, but there's really a lot of truth to this.  The more display elements you have to work with, the more you can do - not just to entertain your viewers - but to also use more of the nuances that the song has to offer.

I've seen some incredibly well-done and entertaining 16 and 32 channel displays and I truly tip my hat to those folks.  I do custom sequencing for people and can attest that it's a LOT easier to create magic when you have 96 channels to work with than when you have 32.  The thing I'm constantly worried about while working with fewer channels is the repetitive aspect.  I think it actually takes me longer to sequence smaller channel counts than it does larger ones.  

I'd never recommend anyone to get in over their head because that can make a fun hobby a nightmare and that would be a shame.  But having said that, one of the most effective ways to turn a reluctant sweetie is to sit down together and look at videos on LOR's video page.  Look at some 16 channel displays and then some 32 channel ones and then some 64 channel setups, etc.  She just might surprise you and agree you really need more channels than she originally thought.

Another very good thing about having more channels rather than fewer is that you're able to let some channels sit each song out. This works wonders in the final show because it's honestly kind of fatiguing for the audience to see everything flashing all the time. The "That's new and neat!" feeling wears off quickly and the songs start to look alike after a very short time.

Leaving different channels turned off from song to song brings a bit of surprise into every single one and the audience is always feeling like there's something new. Also, giving yourself that permission to leave a quarter or even half your channels unused in any particular song is actually pretty liberating. It takes a lot of pressure off, which in turn helps spark creativity.

The more channels you have, the more you can afford to give a break. That adds to the counterintuitive way in which more actually are actually easier than fewer. :)

Bucket,

I started with 32 channels as well and it was more than enough for year one. It took me forever and a little more to get a sequence looking right only for me to correct it a few times after the lights were on. I started in September last year and that was a mistake on my part in terms of timing or cordination.

Heres a few things I would offer as advice.

Im no pro like some of the people who have already commented in here. George, William, Bob, Jim, the list can go on but these guys have some shows and elements that are really worth looking into. Most of them share thier sequences, now they may be a few hundred channels but I reccomend downloading them to look at how they are setup. Arrangment of channels as well how each element is placed in order makes sequencing so much easier. Take a look into how they have elements used in terms of fades, shimmers, or chase as it can only give you ideas on how to make your show better. Some hate it when you use someone elses name to show off a display I highly reccomend you look up Mike Cole here in LOR, on youtube as Sparkylights. For some reason the show 2011 Tinsel Town is simply amazing. It shows off some of the aspects that they were telling you about leaving elements out but still have a great show.

Troll the forum as much as you can. The ideas of Mega trees, Weber trees, fire stick/bellagio towers, Candy canes, RGB strips and so on all are very interesting. Some of us can pull those effects and elements off, some of us like myself can not. Even if your just reading thers is plent in here to get you in way over your head. Read Read Read

Licensing, this one is short and sweet, Advanced. You will end up needing it one day, save the money and get it now. Channels, Controllers, DMX, SuperStar and such that will need it will come to you eventually.

Last for me for now. Share. Its a community of nuts in here I dont mind being called crazy at work because I can come in here and its all the same were already planning 10 months ahead. Some are planning 22 months ahead! If you need help please search first ask second as someone I promise you has had the same issues. Dont be afraid to ask something we help out pretty fast. The LOR help desk are scary fast in terms of getting you over something that is not working. They wrote a custom program for me as my computer would not work with the basic software overnight!

Welcome to the maddness and please let us know how it goes!

As GoofyGuy said troll the forum has much as you can, there is alot of useful information here, any problem that we had we were able to look here and solve it.

Man, you guys around here are EXTREMELY encouraging and LOTS of help.

And today we finally went all in the the purchase of 32 channels. Now time to play for real.

As for trolling around, I have been interested in this hobby for quite a while. Just most of the time I was jsut reading during downtime at work and they limit the downloading of attachments extremely well. But, I think I have a good idea with what I am getting myself into.

As for the more channels the easier to sequence, it totally makes lots of since. Just wish it made lots of sense for the budget. As helpful as you all have been, maybe some of y'all might wanna help in that respect as well.

But seriously, thanks so much for the help so far, and I will be around lots to ask qeustions when I get stuck. Add hopefully one of these days I will feel comfortab le enoguh in my experience of this madness to return the favor.

Man, you guys around here are EXTREMELY encouraging and LOTS of help.

And today we finally went all in the the purchase of 32 channels. Now time to play for real.

As for trolling around, I have been interested in this hobby for quite a while. Just most of the time I was jsut reading during downtime at work and they limit the downloading of attachments extremely well. But, I think I have a good idea with what I am getting myself into.

As for the more channels the easier to sequence, it totally makes lots of since. Just wish it made lots of sense for the budget. As helpful as you all have been, maybe some of y'all might wanna help in that respect as well.

But seriously, thanks so much for the help so far, and I will be around lots to ask qeustions when I get stuck. Add hopefully one of these days I will feel comfortab le enoguh in my experience of this madness to return the favor.

And Jason...

Originally from Columbia. Moved away about 15 years ago, but still go back several times a year. And always took Sun Drop back home with me. Have even replaced Orange Crush in home made ice cream recipies with it to get a taste of home. ANd now they are starting to sell it in more and more places. Shoulda bought stock in it. Maybe I will learn from my mistake there and try to get stock in Light-O-Rama.

Bucket welcome to the madness.

The best thing I ever did was let my wife negotiate for display items and let her pick out items that she wants in the display. As my wife views what others do with their displays she tells me that she wants "us" to incorporate that into "our" display.

Luckily I think she is fully on board. Even she was extremely excited about spending a few hundred bucks today. Searching online for music for 'Us' to sequence. It was almost as excited as the day after Christmas hitting up all the stores for the after Christmas clearance sales.

I'm also a Tennessee boy and 2011 was my first run at this wonderful addiction. I started in June last year with 16 channels and quickly made the jump to 32. This year, i'm adding 48 or 64 more channels. Already have LEDs ordered and almost everything in the 2012 display built. That being said, I have almost 10 months to get the sequencing taken care of.
Above all, have fun doing it. When you get everything up and running, and the people start coming by, the first smile on a child's face is when you'll say, "that made all the hard work worth it". The folks on here are right, there's a wealth of knowledge on here and all are willing to help. In the last 8 months, I've became a plumber, electrician and an engineer. Lots and lots of info out there and a bunch of these wonderful people have how-to's on their websites. Don't be afraid to ask if you can't find it or figure it out yourself.
Welcome to the wonderful world of light animation and good luck.:cool: