Light-O-Rama Forums

Any encouragment, ideas, advice, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Bucket

As an introduction, I have been browsing through the forums and other documentation for a little over a year wanting to get involved. Now, I think it is finally time to to to get learning more and more. But before I go out spending hard earned money, I want to try to make sure I am not getting in over my head.

2011 was my first year using lights more than just a Christmas tree in the front window of the house. I think the wife and I got a fair decent start start with several light on the exterior (mostly LED). Icicle on the eaves. Minis around the windows, garage doors, Japanese maple, and a 3-4 foot wreath in the garage gable. Globe/Sphere lights outlining the drive and in front a retaining wall. Evedn a 12 foot tall inflatable Santa in the drive blocking a garage door. With a little more not even mentioned.

In the clearance sales, we went even more nuts getting even more strands of lights, net lights for shrubs, 18in to 6 ft tall spiral trees, and other various 'accessories.'

So for 2012, the wife and I are wanting to give Light Animation a shot. The plan as of now is:

1) Start out with Residential 16 channel starter package. Even though we have a total of 32 channels thought out for display, we don't want to go TOO far before we realize we are in over our heads. And plus, I do have a small electrical background where i think I could save some cash by possiblly doing at least part of the assembly of the controller myself. But i do think it would help to have the 1st one 'ready to go.' But the major question here would be if I would need to upgrade past the residential to the Pro series. Some of the differences here to confuse me. Just want to make sure I wont be limited to what i can accomplish.

2) I do plan on upgrading to the Advanced software. I can't imagine trying to learn the sequencing without having the full compliment of features to go with it.

3)Once I get the package in the mail... SEQUENCE SEQUENCE SEQUENCE. Maybe even borrow a few to get a better look at what some look like. I know there is the Trail software I can download for free to try out, but I think I would benefit more by actually seeing it all work together.

4) As far as sequencing goes, the first song I want to try to learn with wouldn't even be a Christmas song. By reading comments from others, the first you are mosly learing, and its not going to be The Greatest Show on Earth right off the bat. So i do think I would enjoy learning from a song I could listen to more and more. ANd being a Weird Al Yankovic fan, i think "Polka Face" would be a perfect strater for me. For those unfamiliar with him, every CD he releases had a Polka, which is basically a medly of a dozen or so songs of more popular artists, set to more of his Acordian stlye polka. So the short clips from the original songs would break the manotony of listening to the same song over and over. My only fear would be some of the drastic changes in pace of the song.

5) After learing with one controller, get a second to have the 32 channels for the 2012 season. Then add a couple or so per year to be able to increase from just Multi-Colored Lights to add color changes and to add more channel hogging features such as arches and columns.

So hopefully I'm not getting in too far over my head.

Oh and yes...of course 'Extesion Cords'. Which leads me to a question I have been considering. Is Upgrading from SPT1 to SPT2 worth the additional cost if you decide to make your own?? (I may be a bit dislexic with the initials and knowing when number is the higher quality)

Thanks In Advance

Bucket wrote:

1) Start out with Residential 16 channel starter package. Even though we have a total of 32 channels thought out for display, we don't want to go TOO far before we realize we are in over our heads.

**Too late...if you are even THINKING about it, you are already "over your head"...get the 32 channels...you won't regret it...not getting 32 you will regret it.**

And plus, I do have a small electrical background where i think I could save some cash by possiblly doing at least part of the assembly of the controller myself.

**there are lots of other costs...enclosure, dongles, spade terminals, etc...so you don't really save that much money...unless you put more than one controller in an enclosure.**

But i do think it would help to have the 1st one 'ready to go.' But the major question here would be if I would need to upgrade past the residential to the Pro series.

**You don't...unless you plan on decorating a Commercial Building"...they are both identical for what they can do and how they control the lights...just one is in a plastic enclosure, the other is in a metal one and is UL approved**

2) I do plan on upgrading to the Advanced software. I can't imagine trying to learn the sequencing without having the full compliment of features to go with it.

**start with the advanced..it has features you really want and need (Beat wizard for one)**

3)Once I get the package in the mail... SEQUENCE SEQUENCE SEQUENCE. Maybe even borrow a few to get a better look at what some look like. I know there is the Trail software I can download for free to try out, but I think I would benefit more by actually seeing it all work together.

**You can see how it all comes together with the Demo, but if you can swing it now, get it now..or wait till the Summer Sale**

4) As far as sequencing goes, the first song I want to try to learn with wouldn't even be a Christmas song.

**Nothing wrong with that...just pick songs you enjoy and like as oyu will hear them a couple of hundred times before your show even begins!!!!**

By reading comments from others, the first you are mosly learing, and its not going to be The Greatest Show on Earth right off the bat. So i do think I would enjoy learning from a song I could listen to more and more. ANd being a Weird Al Yankovic fan, i think "Polka Face" would be a perfect strater for me. For those unfamiliar with him, every CD he releases had a Polka, which is basically a medly of a dozen or so songs of more popular artists, set to more of his Acordian stlye polka. So the short clips from the original songs would break the manotony of listening to the same song over and over. My only fear would be some of the drastic changes in pace of the song.

**Different beats ARE one of the things that make sequencing difficult...since the Beat Wizard sometimes doesn't "see" them right...but nothing that can't be worked around**

5) After learing with one controller, get a second to have the 32 channels for the 2012 season. Then add a couple or so per year to be able to increase from just Multi-Colored Lights to add color changes and to add more channel hogging features such as arches and columns.

**One controller or 20 controllers, the learning is the same...yes, more channels are more of a challenge, but it will be a challenge you will enjoy**

So hopefully I'm not getting in too far over my head.

**this hobby is VERY Addictive...you have been warned...**

**I say jump in with both feet ad just have fun fun FUN!!!**

Oh and yes...of course 'Extesion Cords'. Which leads me to a question I have been considering. Is Upgrading from SPT1 to SPT2 worth the additional cost if you decide to make your own?? (I may be a bit dislexic with the initials and knowing when number is the higher quality)

**The only difference is the thickness of the insulation (for the most part). Check the price difference and availability of the Vampire plugs and wire in the two different choices...I think most of us use SPT2...though you don't need too...especially if you are going all LED.**

Thanks In Advance

I agree with almost everything Jim said. It's already too late so you might as well strap yourself in and enjoy the ride. Welcome aboard! The first time you see your yard light up and dance will be as cool as any thrill you've ever had at Disneyland.

I think you're heading in the wrong direction with your first song though. My advice is for you to do a song that has a steady tempo. Yes, make sure it's one you really like. Save the hard stuff for your third or fourth attempt. I think you'll be a lot happier doing it in that order.

Bucket,

Welcome to the hobby. I've only been at it for a year myself, but it's been awesome.

I can't add much to what Jim and George have offered (definitely concur with picking a different song with a steady tempo, though), but saw you were in Mascoutah and couldn't resist responding.

My wife and I grew up in Breese, IL, and visit that area every year for about a week at Christmas. Would love to have more specifics on your location so we can come check your show while we're down there.

Again - welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.

Hi Bucket!

I was a newbie in 2011 and took the plunge rather late in the year, so I am happy that you are getting started early. After lurking around the forums for a while and reading all of the warnings not to wait until the last minute, I couldn't resist the urge to give it a try anyway. Fortunately, I was the exception to the rule, and I was able to get my display up and running in record time. However, as you have read on here, it takes a lot of time to sequence and I spent many late night nights feverishly working to get everything ready on time. In hindsight, it was a foolish move, but I am glad it worked out in the end.

My advice: follow your dream, jump right in with both feet, purchase 2 controllers, and spend the next several months practicing your sequencing skills so that you are fully prepared for the 2012 season.

Welcome to the addiction!

welcome and prepare yourself to not stop thinking about Christmas lights ever!!!!:) I would do a tso song first,imho they are easy to sequence and their are plenty of examples out there,and are always fan favorites

bucket:

welcome aboard!! with only year 3 under my belt, im STILL learning all kinds of things. i have learned lots from "the guys" around here, don't ever beat yourself up trying to figure something out, ASK!! im sure someone here has already hit the wall on it, and has figured out a solution!

welcome to the addiction... i think i may have to start weekly meetings and I will call them LOR anonymous... :P enjoy!!

Thanks for all the valuable advice. And thanks even more for trying to convince me into getting the second controller now. Looks like I have convinced the better half that we can work this into the budget now rather than later on in the year. When means later on in the year I can add things like FM transmitters, more decorations, and more and more lights without it looking as bad then. Just don't tell her my alterior motive behind this.

And it seems like I should say thanks for the pointers about the song choice. I was afraid of the changing tempo could possiblly be a bit too complicated. But I was also thinking it could help break a 5 minute song shoice into several different 'mini-songs' so to say. But not knowing how the sequencer totally works I wasn't sure that it was the best chooice for a novice. Sounds like Trans Siberian Orchestra might be the best way to learn. And plus they are a favorite of the next door neighbors so that should help win over some of the brighness of lights entering their house this Christmas.

Anyhow thanks again. And Aaron, feel free to stop by. Only a couple miles off I64. Just give me a heads up and i will make sure to have a Ski in the fridge ready for ya. Being from Middle Tennessee originally, I knew now nice it was to have a good taste of Sun Drop when I went back there to visit.

Bucket wrote:

Thanks for all the valuable advice. And thanks even more for trying to convince me into getting the second controller now. Looks like I have convinced the better half that we can work this into the budget now rather than later on in the year. When means later on in the year I can add things like FM transmitters, more decorations, and more and more lights without it looking as bad then. Just don't tell her my alterior motive behind this.

And it seems like I should say thanks for the pointers about the song choice. I was afraid of the changing tempo could possiblly be a bit too complicated. But I was also thinking it could help break a 5 minute song shoice into several different 'mini-songs' so to say. But not knowing how the sequencer totally works I wasn't sure that it was the best chooice for a novice. Sounds like Trans Siberian Orchestra might be the best way to learn. And plus they are a favorite of the next door neighbors so that should help win over some of the brighness of lights entering their house this Christmas.

Anyhow thanks again. And Aaron, feel free to stop by. Only a couple miles off I64. Just give me a heads up and i will make sure to have a Ski in the fridge ready for ya. Being from Middle Tennessee originally, I knew now nice it was to have a good taste of Sun Drop when I went back there to visit.

I think it would be a good choice to start out with 32,I did and this year I am jumping to 80 channels,I am half way though my first song and it is way easier to sequence with more channels

james campbell wrote:

I think it would be a good choice to start out with 32,I did and this year I am jumping to 80 channels,I am half way though my first song and it is way easier to sequence with more channels

It might sound counter-intuitive to someone just starting out, but there's really a lot of truth to this. The more display elements you have to work with, the more you can do - not just to entertain your viewers - but to also use more of the nuances that the song has to offer.

I've seen some incredibly well-done and entertaining 16 and 32 channel displays and I truly tip my hat to those folks. I do custom sequencing for people and can attest that it's a LOT easier to create magic when you have 96 channels to work with than when you have 32. The thing I'm constantly worried about while working with fewer channels is the repetitive aspect. I think it actually takes me longer to sequence smaller channel counts than it does larger ones.

I'd never recommend anyone to get in over their head because that can make a fun hobby a nightmare and that would be a shame. But having said that, one of the most effective ways to turn a reluctant sweetie is to sit down together and look at videos on LOR's video page. Look at some 16 channel displays and then some 32 channel ones and then some 64 channel setups, etc. She just might surprise you and agree you really need more channels than she originally thought.

I totally agree with the thought of the more channels the better. But i was just more worried about the budgewt of the situation. The original thought of just getting 16 channels to begin with would be jst so I could hook up some lights in the basement and see how some sequencing works with the actual equipment. But the plan was to program the sequences for 32 and purchase the second controller later in the year. But since the second half in on board for both now... 32 in my new lucky number. Until next year that is.

Bucket wrote:

A Sk? It doesn't get any better than that. Can't wait to stop by and collect. :P

Welcome to the fun. Pick an easier song to start with.
"O'come all yee faithful" is a 50 second instrumental on the Lost Christmas album form TSO. It is slow and boring, and great to learn with. (At least it was for me)

After getting the basics down, and looking at some free sequences from others, you get a good handle on what you want to do.
Ask any and all questions. Great people here to help you along the way.

The best advice I can give you is this:
Plan out what you want to do, and stick with it for the first year. I planned on a 32 channel show for my first year and ended up with 96. It would not have been such big deal if I had not changed the layout 4 times.
This made a lot more work for me than necessary if I had been more decisive.
Seeing your show the first time personally as well as the looks on the kids faces, makes it worth the effort.

That sounds like it might be a good place to start. A 50 second song with a good tempo. Will definately have to at least check it out.

As for a plan I think I have it in my head. Just need to put it down on paper to make sure I dont overload any one circuit/controller/bank/channel. And for this year the plan is MOSTLY multi colored lights. And then next year use mosly the same elements but add in a warm white to get a color changing effect. And then more channel hogging elements like arches. So I think I have a good 3 year plan to slowly increase the 'Wow Factor' without breaking the budget and my sanity in the first year.

As for this year:
12 strand mega tree
6 mini trees
1 set icicle lights for eaves
2 windows (guest room & office)
1 for garage door
1 3ft wreath in front gable
1 lining drive and sidewalks
3 for shrubs (in sets of 2, 2, and 3
1 Japanese maple
1 for 18 inch spiral trees lining landscaping
1 for 3, 4 and 5 ft spiral trees in landscaping
1 for radio station sign
TOTAL: 31

and a 32nd channel to turn several elements warm white
(Icicle, Drive/Sidewalk, Wreath, Shrubs, and possiblly the spiral trees). This would eb the one I am most worried about exceding ther amp limit. But with mosly LED (other than the spiral trees) I think i may be fine. And if i am way underestimating to amprage, I do have some older incandescent lights could add to the 6 minis to give them the pop of white too.

Hopefully, I have it all thought out. And I don't think an FM transmitter would require a channel.

looks like a good layout, I would suggest using the extra channel or the radio sign channel to control some strobes. strobes will give your display some real wow and pop now. you can have several strobes on one circuit and they look very good in mega trees. just a thought to add to the madness:)

Too bad there are not 17 channel controllers. But now the new thought is to just put the one sign on a timer since it can be on the entire time off in the corner, and then get me some 'Flashy Strobes.' It;s cool how someone can see an idea you totally might not have thought of yet. Now just gotta convince the wife we need strobes in the budget.

Planning is the best way to start, we ordered contollers at the worst time of year, just before christmas, so while waiting for them we planned out our display and worked on sequences and built trees etc. When they arrived we were basically set to go. This was our first year using LOR, we started off by ordering two controllers, before we were finally up and running we added a third controller. I plan on at least two more controllers for next christmas. We are also planning on using them at Halloween. We camp at a campground in october that does a Halloween decorating theme and we won the contest without LOR just wait till this year.

I think I have the plan down. Just haven't tried any sequencing at all yet. Since I am planning on getting the Advance version of the software, I don't really want to try learning on the demo version. Cause there has to be so many other features to the software I wouldn't have available. So hopefully, by this time tomorrow, I will have made the purchase. Will have to update how the sequencing is coming then.

Bucket wrote:

, I don't really want to try learning on the demo version. Cause there has to be so many other features to the software I wouldn't have available.

the DEMO would not be any different from the sequencing standpoint...

you can see what the DEMO does NOT have here:

http://www.lightorama.com/ShowtimeSoftwareSuite.html