Light-O-Rama Forums

Computer Processor CPU recommends

bfrd22

I looking to pick up a "bigger" used or refurbished Laptop for all my show stuff.

I have looked all over here and the Aussie site and can't seem to find any info.

What I have now is my old 512 meg ram, P4. with usb 1.0 and its doing ok for now. (I need 2.0 for my new light linkers any ways)

2012 we are jumping into DMX native via LOR 485 Dongle. We will have our LOR network, and I could see 4 to 6 DMX universes in the next few years.

I'm looking at an intel core2duo (quad core) 2.0 ghz with a 4 gig ram, running XP pro.

Is it enough? Is there a recommend out there of what kind for horsepower I will need?

Thanks Andy

I second the dual-screen motion. And definitely don't scrimp on RAM or especially the video card. "Beefy" should be your bare minimum regarding the video card, especially if you're going to be using the Visualizer.

I lost track but 4th or 5th the extra screen for purposes of working with LOR. The 2nd screen stays open with the Visualizer on my rig. My main screen is 25" my 2nd is 21" I know most have the same size monitors but it did not work out for me this way. Its a high end but the video card makes up for the old AMD II Im running. Memory (Ram) will make or break a new or used computer becuase of Operating systems. Do not go light on that one relativly cheap part. If the computer can be upgraded to say 8 Gig of ram, make sure you get the full 8gig trust me on that one simple fact.

A laptop for sequencing without using it like a desktop for me a bear. I just can not get use to it. Im sure many can but I just cant do it.

I want to say thanks for your input, I had some feelers out else where and searched DMX lighting forums, this is crazy to put together a spec or target.

So here is what I am getting from all my little feelers out there for a Dedicated show building, show running, LOR-networked, visualizer toting, Open DMX snorting - computer. (laptop or otherwise)

Processor, triple or quad core units, are best running a min of 1.6ghz or higher. Dual core units running over 2.2ghz

RAM. 4 gigs but the more the better look for units that still have expansion above this also, try for DDR3 chips as they are faster chips than DDR2

Video Cards, HD versions, with min 524 megs, more the better. Ideal would be 1 gig or more, Dedicated video memory is better and preferred. As it has its own memory in the chip, does not take away from the RAM.

Also multi monitor capable.

Hope this helps some others down the road.

Andy

You're gonna want a seperate computer for running the show. Your main computer will have too many things going on that will disrupt your show, such as anti virus, windows update or if you want to use the computer while the show is on etc...

The show computer can be purchased from a rummage sale cheap. No software on it except for LOR, not connected to the network and updaters off. Also doesn't need anything fancy on it.

scubado wrote:

The show computer can be purchased from a rummage sale cheap. No software on it except for LOR, not connected to the network and updaters off. Also doesn't need anything fancy on it.

If the sequencing PC is running S3, I think the show PC also needs to meet the minimum requirements for S3.

George Simmons wrote:

scubado wrote:

If the sequencing PC is running S3, I think the show PC also needs to meet the minimum requirements for S3.  

I agree I have the cheapo now, that I did it all on, I just turn off the wireless while running the shows. Had no problems.

This will be dedicated to running and sequencing, music etc, anything to do with a show. I have 5 other computers in the house so not an issue. This is not my main computer.

The issue was that with running a LOR network and Several Open DMX universe off LOR 485 dongles. Running DMX is going to take some horsepower for the shows, so a rummage sale PC is not going to drive it.

But there are good deals on used or lease turnovers, that will provide the muscle needed, with out investing $1500 on a new unit.

Jeff Spooner wrote:

GoofyGuy wrote:
I lost track but 4th or 5th the extra screen for purposes of working with LOR. The 2nd screen stays open with the Visualizer on my rig. My main screen is 25" my 2nd is 21" I know most have the same size monitors but it did not work out for me this way. Its a high end but the video card makes up for the old AMD II Im running. Memory (Ram) will make or break a new or used computer becuase of Operating systems. Do not go light on that one relativly cheap part. If the computer can be upgraded to say 8 Gig of ram, make sure you get the full 8gig trust me on that one simple fact.

A laptop for sequencing without using it like a desktop for me a bear. I just can not get use to it. Im sure many can but I just cant do it.
Do you think I should upgrade my pc or should I buy a new pc. I want top of the line. what do you think goofyguy?

This depends on where you heading with it. If your running 7000 channels using this computer as the brain, yes you may want to look into upgrading. If your running a few hundred channels and it meets the software requirements then no need. I ran my show off a 9 year old Celeron based PC last year without a glitch in the show. The sequencing was a bear but still made it fine. If the computer is newer last 3 or so years then your set for year 1.

My main point is Sequencer is a memory hog when you start getting up there in channels. The more memory you have the smoother the PC will run, the easier it will be to sequence. SuperStar I would bet gets intensive as well but I do not have enough experience with it yet.

Ram (Memory) is by far the cheapest solution to upgrading an old PC and making it run smoother. The older a computer is the more software is trying to run or be recognized in the background. This is in the registry or just start up files. DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO THE REGISTRY. Look up the model number of your PC, see what the maximum memory it can handle and type and fill it!

everyone is missing the REEEEEALLLY big point here.. it matters MORE if the OS can MANAGE more than 2 (or 4) GB of memory.. a 32bit OS wont even see more than 3GB of memory, so go ahead and load up yer new board with lotsa RAM, you've just got taken if you arent using a 64bit OS.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

everyone is missing the REEEEEALLLY big point here.. it matters MORE if the OS can MANAGE more than 2 (or 4) GB of memory.. a 32bit OS wont even see more than 3GB of memory, so go ahead and load up yer new board with lotsa RAM, you've just got taken if you arent using a 64bit OS.

Excellent oversight on my part. Thanks TJ great advice.

Windows comes in a 32 bit and 64 bit version. The big advantage is 64-bit can address more memory (more than you can probably afford or cram in the unit. 32-bit can only address (see) about 3.78 GB. but it is difficult to get drivers for 64-bit systems if you have old printers, scaners, etc. Some legacy software may not work.

I have Windows 7 64bit and 4 Gigs of ram. I've had no issues with drivers. My processor and video card could use an upgrade to do a better job with the sequencer. My computer is a few years old.

• 1 month later...

Wow, forgot about this thread, LOL.

I picked up an older Dell E1705 Dual Core 2, 2.3 ghz
xp pro 64 bit, 4 gig ram.

Direct Media version surround sound built in subwoofer, 6 usb ports, and about every other port you can think of, thing is loaded, 17" screen.

• The topic was locked