Light-O-Rama Forums

Halloween candelabra?

tophkissane

I need some help, for halloween I want to control candelabra's, I don't know what kind to get that will be controllable. I would love if they came pre-programmed to automatically flicker no matter how i programmed but it isn't necessary.

You have to either find an old chandelier/candelabra and convert it from DC(if battery operated) to AC and then rewire it to make each individual bulb controllable.

If you do a search you might find some info on how to do that around here, but your best bet would be to look at the Halloween Forums for ideas like this.

You need a little bit of electrical knowledge to rewire a chandelier/candelabra. I've done 2 electric chandeliers so far, one has 12 bulbs the other has 8, it takes time and also depends on the number of bulbs in the chandelier/candelabra as to the easiest method of rewiring it. Funny thing is I've rewired the two chandeliers and I've yet to use them. I set them up for use with my LOR CTB16PC Controller. Rewired them last year, planned on using them, but for some reason didn't. Maybe this year.

If you also look on YouTube you can sometimes find some great informative videos there that will walk you through such a modification.

Good Luck.

BTW: You may want to post this in the Halloween Display forum here. That would be your best bet for others to see and respond to this type of request.

Also might I suggest you put your location in your profile, this way there may be others in your region or area that are close enough to you that can give you some personal pointers as well as hands on experience if needed.

I would leave it 12v as the wiring would be easier becuase of the gauge/size of the wire. You can make it simply by pulling it apart wiring each socket as its own channel if you wanted to do it that way and run it from a DC controller. This would be even more involved if you decide to run a RGB node to each lamp, you know what Im doing that DONT STEAL MY IDEA!

• 2 weeks later...

GoofyGuy wrote:

I would leave it 12v as the wiring would be easier becuase of the gauge/size of the wire. You can make it simply by pulling it apart wiring each socket as its own channel if you wanted to do it that way and run it from a DC controller. This would be even more involved if you decide to run a RGB node to each lamp, you know what Im doing that DONT STEAL MY IDEA!

Most battery operated chandeliers are usually 2 1.5vdc batteries, usually 2 C or D type, although have seen AAA and AA types as well. But I've yet to see a 12vdc version of one, most always 3vdc to sometimes 4.5vdc (3 batteries).

So I look for old electric chandeliers or Candelabra's at Thrift Stores for projects like these. Usually can pick one up depending on the item from around $5.00 upwards to $20-$30. I've seen some real fancy ones at times in Thrift Stores.

I got one from my late parents they found in an attic in a house they moved into years ago. And got another at a Thrift Store for about $7.00.

Not really that hard to rewire the C7 sockets in them. The one my late parents gave me I really liked because it had a standard socket hidden in the bottom, so I could put a black light bulb in there and still have the flickering candles on it. So it gets to serve two purposes in the effect I can light up some black light (glow in the dark painted) items under it and the flickering bulbs don't wash out the black light.

I built mine for a covered porch area away from the weather (rain) or use indoors, like in a picture window or small side window.

Hopefully this year I'll be using both the ones I modified for use with the LOR CTB16PC AC controllers.

Orville wrote:

GoofyGuy wrote:

Most battery operated chandeliers are usually 2 1.5vdc batteries, usually 2 C or D type, although have seen AAA and AA types as well. But I've yet to see a 12vdc version of one, most always 3vdc to sometimes 4.5vdc (3 batteries).

So I look for old electric chandeliers or Candelabra's at Thrift Stores for projects like these. Usually can pick one up depending on the item from around $5.00 upwards to $20-$30. I've seen some real fancy ones at times in Thrift Stores.

I got one from my late parents they found in an attic in a house they moved into years ago. And got another at a Thrift Store for about $7.00.

Not really that hard to rewire the C7 sockets in them. The one my late parents gave me I really liked because it had a standard socket hidden in the bottom, so I could put a black light bulb in there and still have the flickering candles on it. So it gets to serve two purposes in the effect I can light up some black light (glow in the dark painted) items under it and the flickering bulbs don't wash out the black light.

I built mine for a covered porch area away from the weather (rain) or use indoors, like in a picture window or small side window.

Hopefully this year I'll be using both the ones I modified for use with the LOR CTB16PC AC controllers.

You know what your exactly right they do have a few 1.5's in them. Ive seen them with a Wall Wart in the past as well but I cant recall if they were low voltage or not. Thank you for pointint that out.

As for the thrift store Im thinking of popping in a few to see if I can score a few to use with CCB's or a custom pixel setup on each candle top.

I built mine for free from craiglist finds. I used parts from a torch light for the stand as I wanted a floor model. The top was made from a ceiling fan light kit and various chandelier type lights. Painted everything flat black and wired to use the candelabra flicker bulbs. I have also done the same for table top models.

Depending upon your use, you may want to consider battery operated candles. My tabletop candelabras are used in a elementary school haunt and electricity to each location was an issue and they are only used one night for about three hours.

Brian

GoofyGuy wrote:

Orville wrote:
GoofyGuy wrote:

You know what your exactly right they do have a few 1.5's in them. Ive seen them with a Wall Wart in the past as well but I cant recall if they were low voltage or not. Thank you for pointint that out.

As for the thrift store Im thinking of popping in a few to see if I can score a few to use with CCB's or a custom pixel setup on each candle top.

Bought one of those some time ago, wal-wart I got with it was 3vdc. I ended up stealing the wal-wart for something better, I have one of those silver skulls with a strobe light inside, operated off 2-AA batteries. So I wired the 3v adapter into it and got rid of the batteries. Used it last year sitting in a birds nest hanging from the porch ceiling, just outside the front door, and at eye level, at a friends house I decked out and donated a lot of Halloween decor to for their Samhain celebration.