Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR S3 DMX

Joe Rayburn

sorry...

it cut off the bottom where it says Basic Plus DOES support a DMX device via the iDMX1000)...

so I probably haven't helped you any...

Attached files 302676=16632-LOR License 2.JPG

the price of that Idmx1000 is more than the advanced license and a few LOR485 dongles that can run a DMX universe. Seeing that you probably already have the LOR dongle, all you need is the Advanced license to open up 512 DMX channels for you.

Assuming that all of the following are true, then it should start automatically:

(1) You are using version 3.0.0 or above.

(2) You are using an Advanced license.

(3) The LOR Control Panel is running.

(4) You have at least one DMX universe set in the Sequence Editor's Network Preferences screen.

(5) You have the DMX listener port set to something other than zero in the Sequence Editor's Network Preferences screen.

The fact that you were successfully able to get it to run manually implies that (1) and (2) are true, and you've said that (3) and (4) are true. Was (5) true?
I watched Bob's dmx setup video and license level requirment was not metioned but I did find this reply from Bob to another poster so it seems that the advanced license is required . Thanks for the replies.

• 2 months later...

With S3, could a DMX universe be setup using the same dongle that drives the LOR controllers? I was thinking that the last LOR controller would have a Cat5 cable, connect to a LOR-DMX cat5 (cross over) adapter then plug into a DMX device.
Or - does S3 need to have a separate dongle dedicated for DMX connections ?

htebault wrote:

With S3, could a DMX universe be setup using the same dongle that drives the LOR controllers? I was thinking that the last LOR controller would have a Cat5 cable, connect to a LOR-DMX cat5 (cross over) adapter then plug into a DMX device.

Yes you can control your LOR controllers with DMX controllers in the same DMX universe using the LOR-DMX cat5 (cross over) adapter.

But I know some people are using two LOR USB485 adapters, one for LOR controllers and one for their DMX controllers.

htebault wrote:

Yes you can control your LOR controllers with DMX controllers in the same DMX universe using the LOR-DMX cat5 (cross over) adapter.

But I know some people are using two LOR USB485 adapters, one for LOR controllers and one for their DMX controllers.

Sorry double clicked

Andrew Bev wrote:

To be clear, this means that your network will be a DMX Universe, not an LOR network, which means that your LOR controllers will operate in DMX mode. One disadvantage of this is that shimmer effects will not look as good (in my experience).

If you have a pre-wired yard, it may be useful to know that you can run both the LOR network and the DMX universe on the same Cat5 cable, as they use different pins. (LOR uses 3,4,5,6 and DMX uses 1,2,7.) You still need to use separate USB485 adapters.

Steven, "other" DMX controllers may use 1,2,7 but an LOR controller (running in DMX mode) does not. It still uses wires/pins 4,5 for DMX data+ and data-

I suppose you could somehow use a "combiner" after the dual USB485 adapters to put the DMX signal on 1 and 2, but none of the LOR AC or DC controllers will see the signal.

JonB256 wrote:

I suppose you could somehow use a "combiner" after the dual USB485 adapters to put the DMX signal on 1 and 2, but none of the LOR AC or DC controllers will see the signal.

That's the idea. As Andrew wrote, some people use 2 USB485 adapters, and use the LOR controllers in LOR mode, which gives a better shimmer, among other advantages.