Light-O-Rama Forums

Any idea which of these is the Triac number?

Guest guest

wbottomley wrote:

Jeff Millard wrote:
LightORamaDan wrote:
Have no issue with William pulling your leg ;) Just turns out that within 2 minutes someone had opened a trouble ticket saying that they did not have "triac indicators" on their new controller. When asked they pointed out this thread. Just wanted to nip it in the bud.

Dan

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!! :D:D:D

That's the second time I've spit coffee on my keyboard today!

Jeff :D

I am glad to make your day.
Actually I am just glad to not be sitting next to Jeff. Otherwise I would have had to change my shirt twice today. And well dry cleaning for my Kilt is not cheap either.

Greg Young wrote:

Hmm, last year it was the autosequencer.

This year it was the back-lit triacs.

I can hardly wait to see what William will come up with next year! :dude::cool::D:D:D:D:D

Greg

Who did the "auto-sequencer" last year? I forget... ;)

LightORamaDan wrote:

As mentioned you an use the BTA16-600BW or the BTA24-600BW. The 16 is a 16 amp triac the 24 is a 26 amp triac. BTA24-600BW triacs are used in G3 controllers.

So for my education.

Why do these boards come with 24 amp triacs when each channel is rated at 8? Sounds like it's capable of up to 24 amps per channel max or the maximum that could be supplied to that side of the board.

Sometimes the startup current is many times the steady load for a very brief instant, quick enough to blow a triac.

Consider it insurance.

They make those triacs up to 40 amps, but the lead spacing is more spread out above the BTA24 versions.

jeffl wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:
As mentioned you an use the BTA16-600BW or the BTA24-600BW. The 16 is a 16 amp triac the 24 is a 26 amp triac. BTA24-600BW triacs are used in G3 controllers.

So for my education. 

Why do these boards come with 24 amp triacs when each channel is rated at 8?  Sounds like it's capable of up to 24 amps per channel max or the maximum that could be supplied to that side of the board.

As mentioned it is for insurance BUT a good design never pushes components close to their limits. Beyond the rated current of 25 amps (the BTA24 is rated for 25 amps?) there are other numbers in the spec that are the main reason we moved to them. For example the BTA24 can handle a 260 amp, non-repetitive surge vs the BTA16's 168 amp.

The ultimate goal is reliability.

Dan