Light-O-Rama Forums

HU finds controller; no lights turn on

Aaron Maue

So, the show's done for the year, and I'm making a few changes to my setup for next year. This includes making my connections from my show computer to the LOR system much tidier. Long story short, I've gone from just connecting to some cables coming through a hole in the wall in my house to connecting to a wallplate. Looks much nicer. And the wife's happy, so that's even better.

When I got the wallplate wired last night, I connected the show computer to the LOR network and fired everything up to see that I'd gotten all my connections done correctly. The hardware utility found all 4 of my controllers (all 1602W), so I thought "sweet." I tried a "lights on", and 3 of the 4 controllers turned the lights on. The 4th did not. So, "sweet" went to "damn."

I tried trouble-shooting the 4th this morning, which worked like a champ all season long, and can't get it to work. The hardware utility finds the hardware. The LED on the controller board blinks solid. I tried a controller reset, but I'm not sure it worked. When I powered the unit on with the ID set to 0, the LED never got to the flash-flash-off, flash-flash-off state that I've read about. It just flashed really fast. When that didn't seem to do the trick, I reloaded the firmware. The reload went fine, but even after that, the controller still wouldn't turn the lights on. I've replaced both of the fuses. And all of my trouble-shooting this morning was done directly from my laptop (same computer I used for the show all season) to the controller. So, the rest of the network was out of the loop.

I'm not real worried about getting it fixed right now. It's 2 friggin degrees outside here this morning, so I'm done troubleshooting for awhile. The plan is to go out on Sunday or Monday evening when it's a little warmer and take all the controllers back inside, so I probably won't work on it 'til then, but thought I'd put this out to you all and see if you had any other ideas I can try.

Thanks.

Aaron Maue wrote:

The LED on the controller board blinks solid. 

Thanks.

Can you please explain the "blinks solid" ? That statement confuses me.

Also have some thoughts on the problem, but depends on what the above statement means.

Sorry. Shouldn't have said "blinks". What I meant is that it's on solid, just like I'd expect it to be if everything were working fine.

wbottomly, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this one.

Thx.

If the LED lit at all means changing the fuses wasnt going to fix anything. You say you did a reset, spun the dials to 0 and everything.. did you change the address back to Unit 1 or 2 or something other than 0? Swap the Com chip for a working one and see if the problem fixes ot migrates to another controller. Those are the steps I'd do.

Thanks for the suggestion TJ. I haven't ventured into the world of building my own controllers, so I'm not sure which chip is the com chip you mention. I've done a little "hunting", and it appears the U1 chip is the one you're talking about, correct?

Also, I'm sitting here laughing at myself now. Not because I've figured out the problem with the controller yet. But because I was wondering why William didn't have any advice for me. As I re-read my post, I realize that all I asked was whether you folks had any ideas. And he does. :)

William - if you would be so kind as to share them with me, I'd be most appreciative.

Thx.

Guest wbottomley

Aaron Maue wrote:

Also, I'm sitting here laughing at myself now. Not because I've figured out the problem with the controller yet. But because I was wondering why William didn't have any advice for me. As I re-read my post, I realize that all I asked was whether you folks had any ideas. And he does. :)

William - if you would be so kind as to share them with me, I'd be most appreciative.

Thx.

I have many ideas but will only share one.:D Check the unit ID once again.

William, thanks for suggesting I check it again. I'm not sure what I set it to the first time, but this time, it worked like a charm.