Light-O-Rama Forums

LCD EDM Transmitter Display

Guest guest

t purser wrote:

yall mean these new ones have a display?

Now that's funny!
I'm holding out until they make one that can twinkle, shimmer and dim.

You all can laugh all you want about the backlit display, but I've had a few folks PM wanting more info on how they can buy an EDM with a backlit display too.

So I'm not the only one that sees a need for, or wants it!:)

I think those that think it unnecessary didn't realize you could get it, and now they're just mad at themselves cause they could have had a nicer looking display for just a small fee.:P:shock:;)

orv im just funning ya im blind no joke thanks to m/s and my edm works just fine with out back lite but if you think you need it i can understand why

Guest wbottomley

Orville wrote:

You all can laugh all you want about the backlit display, but I've had a few folks PM wanting more info on how they can buy an EDM with a backlit display too.    

So I'm not the only one that sees a need for, or wants it!:P

I think those that think it unnecessary didn't realize you could get it, and now they're just mad at themselves cause they could have had a nicer looking display for just a small fee.:P:shock:;)

Yea.... you should see the few hundred PM's I got. And... they weren't about a backlit display. :P

Orville wrote:

Flashlight = too much glare and my vision does not do well with glare.   One of the reasons I very RARELY drive at night now.

Frequency = I had to change my frequency when I moved back to an old address for a while, the one I used was not usable.   If I have to set my transmitter because of the way it's mounted inside the case with my Showtime Director, I do need a backlit display.    Holding a flashlight and trying to see the display and buttons to set it just wouldn't work out too well for me.   And who knows, a new radio station may crop up where I would have to change my frequency.   It happens too.   Not that common, but just in case.

Yes, EDM sent me another e-mail and they will do one of these colors of your choice: blue, yellow or green backlit LCD displays for an additional $10.00.    So that is what I am going to do when I can finally decide which EDM I want to buy.  

The standard one WITHOUT RDS or the fancier one that has RDS.    Using an LOR DC-MP3 Showtime Director, I'm just not sure it's worth the few extra $$ to get the RDS option in my case.

I just prefer to be able to SEE the display when I open the box, sometimes I'm not near enough to the speakers and may not realize the unit IS NOT broadcasting, so that backlit display works two-fold for me, I KNOW the unit is powered on and I know it's still on the Frequency I set it on.  Sometimes power interruptions can do some strange things to electronically controlled items.   This way I know things are as they are supposed to be at a glance.   No fumbling or looking for flashlights or some type light source to see if it's working and on freq.!

I would encourage folks to always have a radio tuned to their frequency, and listen to things at least once each night to ensure the transmitter is still functioning properly.
It may say it's transmitting on a given frequency, but the output could have fallen off, etc.
Additionally if the electronics did get temporarily scrambled by a surge,etc (unlikely, but of course anything is possible)you will immediately know it, which you might not by simply viewing the unit.
Greg

Guest Don Gillespie

Greg Young wrote:

I would encourage folks to always have a radio tuned to their frequency, and listen to things at least once each night to ensure the transmitter is still functioning properly.

Good advice Greg I do this all the time we enjoy listening to the music even though we hear it for 31 days its still makes us smile, Orville you might want to try this the it wouldn't matter if you had it back lit :)

#1. I have not one, but TWO radios that I have always tried to keep tuned to the frequency I use, 3 if you include the vehicle radio, but this does not always work. See #4.

#2. I PREFER a backlit display, it is MY CHOICE and I want to be able to just GLANCE at the transmitter to be sure it has power, the display being backlit does that.

#3. I PREFER to be able to READ what frequency the transmitter is on, also at a glance when I open the box it is mounted in. I did have a power surge once that KNOCKED the freqencies I had saved in the unit off and had to be reset and resaved. Only happened once, but if the display had not been lit and I did not see it, it could have been a bigger problem since it was on a commercial station.

#4. I can't leave radios turned on all the time to where I can just walk in and listen to the show, my wife complains about it after a while, and many times she retunes the radio(s) to her preferred stations. So having radios on and tuned to my freq, just doesn't work at my home.

So yes, I DO REQUIRE and DO NEED a backlit display.

What the heck is the big deal because I, or others may want this option? (for whatever reason we may want it.)

Isn't this supposed to be OUR CHOICE? After all it's our money and if we can get the option and willing to pay for said option, I just don't see the big deal here that folks are trying to make this out to be.

I just asked if the EDM's had a backlit display because it didn't state so, then stated why "I" needed said option, EDM said they do it for a small charge, TEN DOLLARS, so that means I still get the best transmitter EDM and also get what I want in the EDM transmitter I choose to go with. I don't see a problem with any of that.

If folks don't need it, they don't have to buy it, but I figured I'd let folks know that this option IS available, that is for those that may want to add it when they buy their EDM Transmitter. As it's always nice to know when some options are available because many times they are not.

Orville

:)Were just having fun with you don't take us seriously,:Dbut could you repeat this in french for me please:P

Orville wrote:

#1. I have not one, but TWO radios that I have always tried to keep tuned to the frequency I use, 3 if you include the vehicle radio, but this does not always work. See #4.

#2. I PREFER a backlit display, it is MY CHOICE and I want to be able to just GLANCE at the transmitter to be sure it has power, the display being backlit does that.

#3. I PREFER to be able to READ what frequency the transmitter is on, also at a glance when I open the box it is mounted in. I did have a power surge once that KNOCKED the freqencies I had saved in the unit off and had to be reset and resaved. Only happened once, but if the display had not been lit and I did not see it, it could have been a bigger problem since it was on a commercial station.

#4. I can't leave radios turned on all the time to where I can just walk in and listen to the show, my wife complains about it after a while, and many times she retunes the radio(s) to her preferred stations. So having radios on and tuned to my freq, just doesn't work at my home.

What the heck is the big deal because I, or others may want this option? (for whatever reason we may want it.)

Isn't this supposed to be OUR CHOICE? After all it's our money and if we can get the option and willing to pay for said option, I just don't see the big deal here that folks are trying to make this out to be.

I just asked if the EDM's had a backlit display because it didn't state so, then stated why "I" needed said option, EDM said they do it for a small charge, TEN DOLLARS, so that means I still get the best transmitter EDM and also get what I want in the EDM transmitter I choose to go with. I don't see a problem with any of that.

If folks don't need it, they don't have to buy it, but I figured I'd let folks know that this option IS available, that is for those that may want to add it when they buy their EDM Transmitter. As it's always nice to know when some options are available because many times they are not.

Orville wrote:

Orville:

Calm down! I was not criticizing your desire for a back lit display.

I was just suggesting to folks that the BEST way to make sure everything is working properly is to listen to their broadcast on a receiver, so they know what is actually going out.

Any transmitter can fail, despite indicating it is powered on, and displaying a frequency. It happens.

Also, the audio levels may be too high and what is being transmitted may not be sounding all that good. The transmitter will not indicate that unless it las line level monitors (like the Ramsey 100B, and some of the others)

In my FM broadcast engineer days, I always, always, had a monitor on the frequency. I never relied strictly on my metering, accurate as that usually was. Broadcast engineers running television transmitters similarily always are monitoring their output over the air.

It is always best to go to the end of the line to be sure something is working. If not, you then back track it to its source.

Greg

Guest Don Gillespie

Greg Young wrote:

Orville wrote:

Orville:

Calm down! I was not criticizing your desire for a back lit display.

I was just suggesting to folks that the BEST way to make sure everything is working properly is to listen to their broadcast on a receiver, so they know what is actually going out.

Any transmitter can fail, despite indicating it is powered on, and displaying a frequency. It happens.

Also, the audio levels may be too high and what is being transmitted may not be sounding all that good. The transmitter will not indicate that unless it las line level monitors (like the Ramsey 100B, and some of the others)

In my FM broadcast engineer days, I always, always, had a monitor on the frequency. I never relied strictly on my metering, accurate as that usually was. Broadcast engineers running television transmitters similarily always are monitoring their output over the air.

It is always best to go to the end of the line to be sure something is working. If not, you then back track it to its source.

Greg

Yes Orv we are only offering tips to any others that happen to be reading this thread, at no time has anyone said you can't buy the EDM with a back lite or any one else in this matter.

Orville,

Thank you for posting this option for the EDM transmitters. Whether anyone wants it or not, it is nice to know that it is available (and at a very reasonable cost).
I have an LCD EDM now and am thinking that I may purchase an RDS model possibly this coming year, but not certain yet. I too am not getting any younger and the vision is getting a little fuzzier every year, so I can see where the backlight option would be a nice "extra" for some of us.

And no I did not buy the extra insurance when I ordered my EDM. It arrived just fine.

Hey if you folks haven't seen Williams latest joke over in my Triac thread (a tongue in cheek reply to me about backlit triacs), you folks have got to go and read this one for a good belly laugh! You have to read Dan's replay after Williams response. Just way too funny to miss this one.

http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=32020&forum_id=76&jump_to=302703#p302703

This has to be the joke of the year for 2012 so far, but we're just getting started.