Light-O-Rama Forums

LCD EDM Transmitter Display

Guest guest

This will be a definitive deciding factor on whether I pursue the purchase of an EDM Transmitter. I HAVE to have an illuminated display, no ifs, ands or buts about it. Can't use the red LED type as I don't see red in small displays like that very well due to my vision issues. So I need an LCD or some type of display that is backlit and that I can see in low to no-light conditions inside a housing.

So do any of the EDM LCD models LCD displays light up?

If no, has anyone added a backlight to theie EDM LCD panel? If yes, how difficult was it to put the backlight in behind the display and get it to illuminate?

If they don't, and you can't add something to backlight the LCD Display, then I would see no need in my even buying one, and that's ONE BIG COMPLAINT I would have against the EDM units.

LCD displays should always be back illuminated like all the other units out there I've looked at. Even my MBB Eclipse 4000 the display is nicely backlit for easy viewing in any lighting.

Since no edit option, I did get an e-mail from EDM saying they have done custom orders with backlit LCD displays for an additional charge of $10.00. So just waiting on a reply on how to incorporate that option into my order when I'm ready to send it in, if it can be done.

One other question to those that have bought them, did you also take out the $10.00 insurance policy when you placed your order?

I think it's a good idea to have insurance, but just wondered if you folks that bought them took out the extra precaution of taking the insurance option or not.

wbottomley wrote:

Why would you need a back lit display? After connecting power to mine, I never look at it again until next season.

I agree same here.no need to look at it once the season starts.

Haven't looked at mine since I set it 3 years ago. It holds the frequency setting even when not powered and stored in a box for the off-season.

Great sounding transmitter vs. another brand with a backlit LCD? No brainer in my mind. I would rather save the 10 bucks and use a flashlight for the 10 seconds that you will ever look at the screen (though I will admit that I am impressed that they will customize a LCD for you, and for only $10).

It seems I'm more anal than most. I look at mine each fall when I plug it in just to make sure it's working.

George Simmons wrote:

It seems I'm more anal than most. I look at mine each fall when I plug it in just to make sure it's working.

I just turn on the radio to do that (which ironically does have a backlit LCD).

My EDM transmitter is in the house so I just turn on the light switch if I want read the display. However, I have a radio in my house set to my frequency. I just keep the volume really low and when I walk by listen carefully to make sure I hear my music.

I did not pay for insurance everything worked out fine with my order.

Flashlight = too much glare and my vision does not do well with glare. One of the reasons I very RARELY drive at night now.

Frequency = I had to change my frequency when I moved back to an old address for a while, the one I used was not usable. If I have to set my transmitter because of the way it's mounted inside the case with my Showtime Director, I do need a backlit display. Holding a flashlight and trying to see the display and buttons to set it just wouldn't work out too well for me. And who knows, a new radio station may crop up where I would have to change my frequency. It happens too. Not that common, but just in case.

Yes, EDM sent me another e-mail and they will do one of these colors of your choice: blue, yellow or green backlit LCD displays for an additional $10.00. So that is what I am going to do when I can finally decide which EDM I want to buy.

The standard one WITHOUT RDS or the fancier one that has RDS. Using an LOR DC-MP3 Showtime Director, I'm just not sure it's worth the few extra $$ to get the RDS option in my case.

I just prefer to be able to SEE the display when I open the box, sometimes I'm not near enough to the speakers and may not realize the unit IS NOT broadcasting, so that backlit display works two-fold for me, I KNOW the unit is powered on and I know it's still on the Frequency I set it on. Sometimes power interruptions can do some strange things to electronically controlled items. This way I know things are as they are supposed to be at a glance. No fumbling or looking for flashlights or some type light source to see if it's working and on freq.!

Denis Chaput wrote:

wbottomley wrote:
Why would you need a back lit display? After connecting power to mine, I never look at it again until next season.

I agree same here.no need to look at it once the season starts.

Because I've had the power cord come slightly loose from my transmitter and NO POWER to the transmitter, the backlit display when lit, as soon as I open the box shows me that POWER IS ON, if it's dark, then I know POWER IS OFF and I have to find the reason why. So that display helps me to KNOW I have power and the unit is still on the same frequency I set. I've had to change freq's, and that backlit display WITH MY VISION ISSUES is a requirment so that I can see what it is doing. I can't hold a flashlight in the dark and do this. Too much glare and creates a bigger problem. I had a main power cord that goes from the outlet to the power brick go bad, I thought the transmitter had gone bad. Found another cord and plugged it in, display lit up and I knew the transmitter was working from a little distance away, if there had been no backlighting, I would not have known if it was on or not.

Just because some folks don't need this option, does not mean there are others that dont. Each person has their likes and dislikes, and some prefer things that others may find pointless or useless to them, but not to those that have a need for it.

I need it, I will pay the extra cost for it. $10.00 is peanuts, now if it were say $100.00 or higher, then that would be an elephant of a different color and I'd be looking elsewhere.

As it is EDM DOES offer this, so I will have the EDM I decide on, and with a nicely backlit display to boot!

Orville, you may want to ckeck on this but I think the RDS has to be connected to the PC inorder to get the RDS info it may not work with a LOR DC-MP3 Showtime Director.
Earle

EARLE W. TALLEY wrote:

Orville, you may want to ckeck on this but I think the RDS has to be connected to the PC inorder to get the RDS info it may not work with a LOR DC-MP3 Showtime Director.
Earle

It can be used, just NOT in the same way. You can set a scrolling message in the transmitter itself that will be internal only to the transmitter, something like "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Halloween".

What you can't do is send the song names as they are playing or other announcement/information during the show if you don't use a PC to run the show.

That's why I'm debating on whether or not I want to spend the extra $$ on RDS, as I can use it in a very LIMITED fashion with the DC-MP3 Showtime Director, by embedding a simple line of text into the transmitter itself, just not the same as those running a show from a dedicated PC where they have more control of utilizng the RDS option.

If you're not sending the title, whyt even have RDS?

As for knowing whether the EDM is powered/operating, use your home stereo. Turn it on, if you dont hear the show playing THEN you go out to see why unless you feel you NEED to go outside and see if the display is lit to see if its working.