Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Strip pictures?

Carl S

Here is what I ordered from Ray Wu. I copied this from another thread I posted it in awhile back.

I have made I think 5 orders from him, and have never had a problem with any of them. In fact I made a [highlight= #ffff88]custom[/highlight] RGB LED strip [highlight= #88ffff]order[/highlight] from him. I was for sure something would not be right, but it was ALL correct.

My first [highlight= #88ffff]order[/highlight] with him was a 5m roll of RGB LED strip so I could check it out.

My next [highlight= #88ffff]order[/highlight] was for power supplies, 4 pin cable, 4 pin waterproof connectors and below was my RGB LED strip [highlight= #88ffff]order[/highlight].

ALL of it came in as ordered. I would/will [highlight= #88ffff]order[/highlight] from him again.

Dealing with him thru emails he will probably create a link for your specific [highlight= #88ffff]order[/highlight] so you can check it out before purchasing and purchase everything easier.

5050 SMD RGB LED,30LEDs/m;waterproof by silicon tubing;white PCB

Meters What to put on the ends Qty Total Meters

8m 4 pin wire one end 3 = 24m
7m 4 pin wire one end 4 = 28m
5.5m 4 pin wire one end 4 = 22m
5m 4 pin wire one end 3 = 15m
5m Female connect - Male connect 1 = 5m
3m 4 pin wire one end 1 = 3m
2.5m 4 pin wire one end 1 = 2.5m
2.5m Male connect one end 1 = 2.5m
2.5 Female connect - 4 pin wire 2 = 5m
2m Female connect - Male connect 5 = 10m
2m Male connect - 4 pin wire 5 = 10m
1.5m Female connect - Male connect 5 = 7.5m
1.5m Female connect one end 5 = 7.5m
______
total of 142m

Carl, I've used those exact connectors on RGB strips. They work fine and have proven more mechanically reliable than my solder attempt.

As far as waterproofing goes, some hot glue or silicone or liquid electrical tape will waterproof them.

On Waterproof style strips (with the thick layer over the LEDs, not the ones in sleeves), you can carefully peel back a few millimeters with a sharp knife or Xacto.

JonB256 wrote:

Carl, I've used those exact connectors on RGB strips. They work fine and have proven more mechanically reliable than my solder attempt.

As far as waterproofing goes, some hot glue or silicone or liquid electrical tape will waterproof them.

On Waterproof style strips (with the thick layer over the LEDs, not the ones in sleeves), you can carefully peel back a few millimeters with a sharp knife or Xacto.

That is good to know JonB256. Do you have any pictures of the connectors you are using? With them in use?

Paul Roberson wrote:

I also use these weatherproof connectors in my set up. One connector (female) I connect (and it stays connected) to the LOR DC card. The other connector (male) I solder to the LED strip, or the wire that is soldered to the strip.

I also have these weatherproof connectors on the strips the go around my windows and such. There are 4 pieces of RGB LED strips around my windows. These connectors connect at each corner.

4 pin cable I use.

4 pin waterproof connectors I use. 

Hi Paul
I am just curious as to why you used the 4 pin weatherproof connectors that you did instead of these?

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/210128048-323485474/50-pairs-4-Core-White-Waterproof-Line-15cm-long-each-male-and-female.html

These seem like the ones that a lot of people over on the Aus forum are using.
Are the ones you used a "better" connector? I see that they are more expensive than these but that does not always mean a lot.
Do you feel that they are a higher quality than the white ones?
I'm just trying to get some feel for this stuff right now before I jump in full tilt. I do have some strips on order and I will need to get probably 8 to 10 of the weatherproof connectors for my display.
If I have to order 100 of them, then I want to be sure that the ones I get are going to be "good" ones as I will probably offer the extra ones up for sale to others after I get them.

I am also looking to find some good 4 conductor cable (like phone wire, ie - 4 conductors inside a jacket)
. Like the 4 pin white connectors use as I like single looking cable going out to areas on my display. I "think" that the single cable looks better to me than the colored 4 conductor cable which is just subjective I know but that is what I like. It is also less likely to snag on things as I am laying it out or rolling it up.

Thanks for your help.
Bill

beeiilll wrote:

Hi Paul
I am just curious as to why you used the 4 pin weatherproof connectors that you did instead of these?

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/210128048-323485474/50-pairs-4-Core-White-Waterproof-Line-15cm-long-each-male-and-female.html

These seem like the ones that a lot of people over on the Aus forum are using.
Are the ones you used a "better" connector? I see that they are more expensive than these but that does not always mean a lot.
Do you feel that they are a higher quality than the white ones?
I'm just trying to get some feel for this stuff right now before I jump in full tilt. I do have some strips on order and I will need to get probably 8 to 10 of the weatherproof connectors for my display.
If I have to order 100 of them, then I want to be sure that the ones I get are going to be "good" ones as I will probably offer the extra ones up for sale to others after I get them.

I am also looking to find some good 4 conductor cable (like phone wire, ie - 4 conductors inside a jacket)
. Like the 4 pin white connectors use as I like single looking cable going out to areas on my display. I "think" that the single cable looks better to me than the colored 4 conductor cable which is just subjective I know but that is what I like. It is also less likely to snag on things as I am laying it out or rolling it up.

Thanks for your help.
Bill

I chose the connectors I did pretty much for the same reason you are looking for "4 conductor wire inside a jacket":cool: I have these connectors at all corners of my windows and garage and thought the white would show up to much (stick out like a sore thumb). However thinking about it now I don't think it would be any different.

Also when I ordered the ones I did the wording was the same as it is now "100pcs/lot" but in fact thru clarification with Ray it was 100 pair not 50 pair.

I have no idea if one was 'better' than the other.

beeiilll wrote:

Thanks for your help.
Bill

You can buy the 4 conductor cable with jacket that the connectors are made out of from Ray. You can even buy the connectors and cable in black if you wish. You just need to e-mail him. They aren't listed on the site.

Paul Roberson wrote:

Carl S wrote:
Thanks, but what I would like to see is how it is soldered to the strip itself or is there a connector that you just push in place?

There are connectors that I have not used. All my wire is soldered on. Notice on the strip it is marked +12v, R, G, B.

Paul what kind of solder do you use and what is the wattage of your soldering iron?

geronc wrote:

beeiilll wrote:

Thanks for your help.
Bill

You can buy the 4 conductor cable with jacket that the connectors are made out of from Ray. You can even buy the connectors and cable in black if you wish. You just need to e-mail him. They aren't listed on the site.

Thanks for the info on that.
I have been out cutting up downed trees all morning (had a nasty high wind storm last night) and was thinking about this and thought that probably Ray would have the connectors and cable in stock to allow me to make my own.

Guess I better drop an email and see what it would cost me to get 25 or so connectors, the pins, and maybe 500 feet of the black cable. Then I will just make up whatever I need, as needed! :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting some RGB LED strips for this year, and wondered, because you have to use an extension wire to connect the strips with the DC controller, how far can you run the 4-strip wire extension lines before you have problems with power loss ? Also, I live in Utah, snow, rain, and wind city!! Are the 4-wire male/female connectors going to be waterproof enough for my area or do I need to seal every connection point further ?

Thanks in advance :P

DLTSLC wrote:

I'm getting some RGB LED strips for this year, and wondered, because you have to use an extension wire to connect the strips with the DC controller, how far can you run the 4-strip wire extension lines before you have problems with power loss ? Also, I live in Utah, snow, rain, and wind city!! Are the 4-wire male/female connectors going to be waterproof enough for my area or do I need to seal every connection point further ?

Thanks in advance :)

*Bump*

I'd be interested to know the answer to this also.

Regards

• The topic was locked