Light-O-Rama Forums

LED's Controllers

nmonkman

This more directed at the LOR people. I tried to see if this had been posted before but didnt see anything.

Are there any plans to have controllers that work better with LED lighting on fades and other features?

I have tried introducing C9's into the circuit and that seems to work sometimes but not always. I have also tried mixing 100 ct. mini incans with strings of LED's, but still not perfect.

Actually, to be clear, the above methods gets rid of the "flicker" but the LED's clearly complete their fade about 1/2 second before the incans.

I have seen talk about using "snubbers" but I am not really sure how this is done.

Few issues there to handle other than the controllers.

What kind of LED strings do you have, this can make a huge difference in the fade and control the LOR boxes have over the LEDs. For example my LEDs begin to light at 4% and to me they seem to reach full intensity in the 70% range. This is not becuase of the controller but the lights Im using. Ive seen a few types where they will not illuminate till 11% and full intensity is only 48%. This would change a fade rather drasticly.

I believe the issue here is the lights. It also depends on what generation controllers you have as well. Some of the early models did not have the best luck with LEDs where the 2nd gen which I have give me no issues at all with my big box LED's. The 3rd gen is suppose to be even better. Mine shimmer, fade, chase all without issue.

Uhhhhhhhhh!:shock:

How can I tell if I dont have the box anymore. Do you mean bulb size or something else?

Unfortunately you are dealing with ignorance here on my end. apparently my assumption that a bulb is a bulb is not correct.

I gotta get out and get the lights off the roof so I will check in later tonight.

The evolution of LEDs has been a fast one in the past few years. Half wave, Full wave, some have isolators built in some and so on. I do not know which are which in terms of the boxes. If you shake them in your hand do they have a flicker to them and how bad is it. Theres a ton of threads on this. Just search for Half wave or Full wave and you will find tons of info.

I posted a new question asking if the DC modules were PWM.. if they are not they should have one.. they would work much better for dimming..

@nmonkman - We use about 75 or so LOR AC controllers in our residential display. About 80% of the lights are LEDs, and they fade wonderfully. Alot has to with the the design & construction of the LEDs you use.

I've blown up more than my share of substandard LED product over the years...

Fabian

They ARE PWM??? Very cool! That makes me feel a bit better about using them. I have a lot of RGB pixels coming and I want the PWM drive so they work like they should.

Thanks for the info.. Love your license plate logo. ha ha!!

So if I understand what you are saying I could introduce a DC controller such as the CMB16D-QC into my network of AC controllers and it would run the LED lights???

I assume I would need some type of power converter to go from AC to DC, but if the lights are supposed to plug into an AC outlet, this won't have any nasty affects???

nmonkman wrote:

So if I understand what you are saying I could introduce a DC controller such as the CMB16D-QC into my network of AC controllers and it would run the LED lights???

I assume I would need some type of power converter to go from AC to DC, but if the lights are supposed to plug into an AC outlet, this won't have any nasty affects???

There would be rewiring involved, as the DC controllers are only good up to about 60 VDC.

nmonkman wrote:

This more directed at the LOR people. I tried to see if this had been posted before but didnt see anything.

Are there any plans to have controllers that work better with LED lighting on fades and other features?

I have tried introducing C9's into the circuit and that seems to work sometimes but not always. I have also tried mixing 100 ct. mini incans with strings of LED's, but still not perfect.

Actually, to be clear, the above methods gets rid of the "flicker" but the LED's clearly complete their fade about 1/2 second before the incans.

I have seen talk about using "snubbers" but I am not really sure how this is done.

Once you are flicker free, the custom dimming curves in gen3 firmware can allow you to set them so they all fade the same.