Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX question on a project

scubado

William posted this in another thread and really want to try this: http://forums.planetchristmas.com/index.php?/topic/49730-mega-ball-tree/

I have enough lights to do red and green and use 20 channels. But what I reall y want to do is RGB dumb ribbon. Needs 105 meters and 30 channels. Is it cheaper to do DMX or LOR? Which route would you go? I also plan to add RGB ribbon to some other items as well, I'm just trying to figure what's going to work with my budget.

As an added note, I was reading up on DMX a couple weeks ago and my head was spinning from it, both from trying to understand it and seeing possibilities with it. At what point do go from LOR to DMX or vise versa?

I saw that tree online, what a fantastic idea with the hula hoops and all. I would say for a dumb rgb ribbon you could get 5 meter lengths waterproofed for around 20 dollars ea, pick up some of the 6 dollar controllers, 1 per rgb channel, and a power supply . Build a trunk power line with individual 5 a fused runs to power each controller, daisy chain them and you could have a pretty sweet setup at a decent price. Imo Email ray what u want and he will put a package deal together with a decent price break for the asking.

Where does the cat5 come in? I looked up the Enttec Open and it has DMX connector. Do you use DMX connector with cat5 wire? When using DMX, does shimmer and twinkle work?

Does power and signal come through the DMX line? What if you're using high powered 20W leds with more than one on the channel? I know I can do this on a LOR DC board, Don't know what the limits are with DMX.

You will need to make a 5 pin dmx to cat 5 pigtail. For your appplication I would only use the cat 5 for dmx signal and click, as the losses would be too great for power. The 6$ dmx adaptors have two input pigtails one for power and one for signal. They handle 3 a per channel max or 5 amp per 3 channel controller. Plenty for your ribbons. Shimmer and twinkle work in s3 for dmx. It is the controller not the dmx system itself that limits the power. You can find both high and low power handling controllers.

• The topic was locked