Light-O-Rama Forums

Wiring and power of a RGB strip.

johnson8ryley

Hey Ken I have some questions for you about soldering. Is there a max watt that a person should use for soldering these strips and what type of solder do you use?

25 watts max and good quality solder.

Practice your soldering skills before tackling the RGB strips; I take 2 seconds to make the connection, but I pre-tin my wire beforehand. Quick and easy - works all the time.

Ken Benedict wrote:

Practice your soldering skills before tackling the RGB strips; I take 2 seconds to make the connection, but I pre-tin my wire beforehand. Quick and easy - works all the time.

Damn that Solder you told me about isn't exactly cheap is it.

Ken Benedict wrote:

Is there a trick to get solder to stay on those RGB Strips connections when you cut the strip. Is it the same principal, just heat the little tab and get solder on it?

Yes, but you may need some fine steel wool to get them clean enough for a quick solder job.

Pre-solder (aka TIN) the little solder tabe before you try the wire.

Tin the wire also beforehand.

Hold them together and apply a little heat and they should magically join.

I use a box cutter blade to clean the strips back and give them a little scrape on each copper section before I tin them. I also keep the good quality solder for tinning the strip and just use standard solder to tin the cables.

Using the right soldier on the strip helps heaps and it will help you save time and frustration of re-soldering when your wires fall off when you move it.

Andrew Bev wrote:

I use a box cutter blade to clean the strips back and give them a little scrape on each copper section before I tin them. I also keep the good quality solder for tinning the strip and just use standard solder to tin the cables.

Using the right soldier on the strip helps heaps and it will help you save time and frustration of re-soldering when your wires fall off when you move it.

Thanks that info will help me!

• The topic was locked