Light-O-Rama Forums

Help! I'm addicted!

mattpatt

Okay, well I decided that I would like to do a light show after seeing one in my small town. So I've been hitting all the after Christmas sales telling myself that I would just get a few lights on sale for this year then save up for a order from CDI next year. Well, let me tell ya, I never knew buying Christmas lights could be so addicting! I've hit every store in town and told myself yesterday that I had enough "stuff." Well, I pass by Walgreens and I just couldn't help myself. $116 later the cab of my truck is stuffed with lights that were on sale 75% off! All LED... I don't even really know what I got. I know there were a bunch of warm white C9s (which I was looking for) and red and green C6s. At this point I'm going to need to buy a new storage shed just to house all my boxes of lights. Now I'm out of spending money so this should keep me from visiting any more stores for right now. I guess more than anything I'm a bargain hunter and when I see something 75% off I usually go for it if I think it's something I need. Now where to hide all these lights?!?! My wife is going to think I'm nuts!

Matt

Dont hide them, string them out in your living room and start playing!

I know that feeling, I jumped on board last September and its a true hobby.

Welcome to the addiction. Good thing you weren't in my town cause I hit 10 Walgreens also. Spent about $240 for 4,000 LEDs. I was finding it hard to plan what I think I will want a year from now. And now I need more controllers to run the lights I bought. I'm trying to figure out how long to wait to order to see if any sales come out...and I have no experience to know how late in the season you can wait and still be able to buy the controllers.... Heck I ordered the PRO controller Dec 20th and it shipped out the same day.

Gilrock wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how long to wait to order to see if any sales come out...and I have no experience to know how late in the season you can wait and still be able to buy the controllers....

in the past LOR has had a summer sale...

http://www.lightorama.com/JoinMailList.html

Welcome aboard mattpatt. I am new to the addiction as well, and I am completely hooked. My first display went up in early December. I have spent the last week creating sequences for 2012, and testing them at night with my current set up.

You will find this forum invaluable. My best advice is to read, read, read, and then read some more.

I wish you the best of luck!

Gilrock wrote:

Welcome to the addiction.  Good thing you weren't in my town cause I hit 10 Walgreens also.  Spent about $240 for 4,000 LEDs.  I was finding it hard to plan what I think I will want a year from now.  And now I need more controllers to run the lights I bought.  I'm trying to figure out how long to wait to order to see if any sales come out...and I have no experience to know how late in the season you can wait and still be able to buy the controllers....  Heck I ordered the PRO controller Dec 20th and it shipped out the same day.

We only have one Walgreens in town but I cleared them out today. I'm sure there was a bunch more I missed cause I didn't know where to go. Never thought about Walgreens when I went looking the day after Christmas. Now I'm playing with the demo version of the software and laying out the elements I want to have next year in visualizer. I know for certain a 7 segment arch and a Holdman star but other than that not sure. Now I have to save up for two controllers as 16 channels probably ain't going to be enough.

Matt

don't worry about being addicted,we have monthly meetings and the new guys bring the cookies,we had some last year laced with leds:D

I'm sorry Matt... you are about to loose all of your extra time and money to this addiction. Can't wait to see what you come up with this next year!

-Logan

Welcome aboard the addiction train. I started with 16 channels and was pleased what i could accomplish and now am upgrading to 32 this year or maybe even 48 if i can find the money without the better half knowing...lol like she would never find out...lol We are also starting to convert to led. my house was pretty much maxed out on incans.

Wow what am i getting into lol bring it on i didnt need a life anyway my girl sees that scarry look in my eyes she knows i just dont jump in half way its jan 3rd and this new hobby is consuming my brain

kevtam wrote:

Wow what am i getting into lol bring it on i didnt need a life anyway my girl sees that scarry look in my eyes she knows i just dont jump in half way its jan 3rd and this new hobby is consuming my brain

I have the same problem at my house. I had next year pretty much set in stone then Bam, someone had to post the Big Ball Mega Tree. So I'm having arguments with myself on how to implement it for next year.

We have all sorts of people who provide all sorts of services. But before anyone can give you a quote, you should post a picture of the lady who's going to need servicing while you're busy with your lights... :D:D:D

kevtam wrote:

Do we have people on here who deal with marriage issues i think im gonna need their services

I have read that some say to make sure that you spend enough on controllers and lights that she can't afford a divorce lawyer. :)

Here's my haul so far. Not counting the 40 boxes of warm white LED M5s from Sears that haven't showed up yet. Yes, I probably went a little overboard but all were purchased at least 50% off and the ones from Walgreens were 75% off.

IMG00295-20120104-0637.jpg

My problem is that I wasn't able to find many boxes of color LEDs.

Matt